PostalDuchess

To Lawyer or Not to Lawyer

40 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
4 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

You didn't ask for this, but have you considered the real differences between a K-1 and CR-1?

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US 
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US 

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

how much slower  for the CR-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Before the virus,  the average time for a CR-1 from filing to interview was 12-16 months.  If I remember correctly, the average for a K-1 was 10-12 months.......I'm not sure how the current situation has/will affect overall timelines.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

7 hours ago, PostalDuchess said:

Hi All,

I am getting ready to start my journey with my partner who is a Finnish citizen. We are going to go the K-1 route as it gives us ample time before marrying. We met playing video games in September of 2019 (I know, silly) and I have adored him since. I am a USC and well established here in the US so we feel that him coming here is the best option. Just trying to figure out if I need to hire an immigration lawyer or if this is all straight forward enough that I can sort it myself. Looking for the pros and cons of each.

Thanks in advance. :)

No lawyer needed.. and snap, who knew gaming was could be a life changer 😂

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi Duchess :) Just wanted to say it is nice to read about another couple on here who met through video games! My fiance from France and I met the same way. We personally chose to use a local immigration lawyer, but I know many others have had success without one. At the current moment we are waiting on the NOA2 for our I-129F. Hoping for sooner rather than later, but remaining patient. Good luck!

mieux vaut tard que jamais 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

Normally I am a big proponent of CR1 over K1.  I should know - I have done both.  Long story.

Anyway, for you, I agree with you that K1 might be better.  You guys have met recently and it will give you time to get to know each other better and see if marriage is right,

Are you engaged now, or are you just boyfriend/girlfriend?  I assume the two of you have talked and are just waiting for the right time to get engaged (if you haven't already)?

When we did our K1, I first asked around and thought about getting a lawyer.  But after doing some research and finding this site, it was easy to do by ourselves.  Just follow the guides here and you will be set.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
8 hours ago, PostalDuchess said:

My current partner is aware of my previous marriage and everything. I'm just trying to make heads and tails of everything. I had initially hoped I would have a little more support from my family, especially since my mother is from NZ and my dad is American and she has had a green card most of her life. That being said, my parents are skeptical and proving a little tricky. It all feels really overwhelming to be honest. Trying to make the right choice and I'm just not sure what that is. Given traveling with everything going on, not sure how long it will be before I even see Sasu again. Maybe December if we are lucky. It's just sucky to have to wait another 5 months potentially to even get this started.

Since you’ve met within the last 2 years why would you delay applying? You can apply tomorrow if you’ve met the requirements, have the income and have the paperwork completed.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
10 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

Before the virus,  the average time for a CR-1 from filing to interview was 12-16 months.  If I remember correctly, the average for a K-1 was 10-12 months.......I'm not sure how the current situation has/will affect overall timelines.  

Before the virus K-1 was 5-7 months total for most people from filing to getting their visa in hand. In 2019 they sped up processing for K-1s it was the fastest in a long time. Mine was 6 months total because my I-129f took longer to get approved. I know many people who got their NOA2 in under 3 months. Now it takes 6 months to get a NOA2 alone...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline
9 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Hi,

Normally I am a big proponent of CR1 over K1.  I should know - I have done both.  Long story.

Anyway, for you, I agree with you that K1 might be better.  You guys have met recently and it will give you time to get to know each other better and see if marriage is right,

Are you engaged now, or are you just boyfriend/girlfriend?  I assume the two of you have talked and are just waiting for the right time to get engaged (if you haven't already)?

When we did our K1, I first asked around and thought about getting a lawyer.  But after doing some research and finding this site, it was easy to do by ourselves.  Just follow the guides here and you will be set.

Currently boyfriend and girlfriend I guess. We have been discussing all of it and figuring out what the best route is. I had my grandmothers rings resized for when the time comes but I think that all of this discussion may have made Sasu feel like he now doesn't actually have to propose lol. Story of my life. All I need to get started is his letter of intent and passport photos so hopefully he can get those to me in the next few weeks or so and I can get everything sent out.

Timeline

It will take time I'm sure, but getting started it probably the way to do it.

9 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

Since you’ve met within the last 2 years why would you delay applying? You can apply tomorrow if you’ve met the requirements, have the income and have the paperwork completed.

I just need his passport photos and his letter of intent with original signature and then that is what I am going to do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
21 minutes ago, PostalDuchess said:

It will take time I'm sure, but getting started it probably the way to do it.

I just need his passport photos and his letter of intent with original signature and then that is what I am going to do.

He Can also scan your the photos and letter and you can print them. But I understand if you want to send all “originals” I went to Haiti anytime my husband had to sign documents lol (no effective mail system there and honestly easier than having him find a damn place with internet/electricity and a scanner) 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

He Can also scan your the photos and letter and you can print them. But I understand if you want to send all “originals” I went to Haiti anytime my husband had to sign documents lol (no effective mail system there and honestly easier than having him find a damn place with internet/electricity and a scanner) 

Honestly, it's probably just easier for me to send him the letter, have him sign and date it and send it back to me with photos. lol. He doesn't have a printer etc. The things we do......

Timeline
11 hours ago, aphr0dite said:

Hi Duchess :) Just wanted to say it is nice to read about another couple on here who met through video games! My fiance from France and I met the same way. We personally chose to use a local immigration lawyer, but I know many others have had success without one. At the current moment we are waiting on the NOA2 for our I-129F. Hoping for sooner rather than later, but remaining patient. Good luck!

Ironically, the video game... Destiny 2. Classic. That will be one for the kiddos one day. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Your story sounds similar to mine! Met my Norwegian fiance through a video game as well! I was previously married, and actually met him during the ending of that marriage. We did not use a lawyer and had no issues at all getting the petiton approved. We are waiting for the embassy to open for his interview and don't anticipate any problems! It's all about how solid your current relationship is. If they believe it's genuine, you'll have no problems!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, emma24 said:

Your story sounds similar to mine! Met my Norwegian fiance through a video game as well! I was previously married, and actually met him during the ending of that marriage. We did not use a lawyer and had no issues at all getting the petiton approved. We are waiting for the embassy to open for his interview and don't anticipate any problems! It's all about how solid your current relationship is. If they believe it's genuine, you'll have no problems!

Hopefully things will start to open up soon and you guys will be able to continue forward. It kills me not being able to go visit Finland or bring him here to visit.

4 hours ago, PostalDuchess said:

Currently boyfriend and girlfriend I guess. We have been discussing all of it and figuring out what the best route is. I had my grandmothers rings resized for when the time comes but I think that all of this discussion may have made Sasu feel like he now doesn't actually have to propose lol. Story of my life. All I need to get started is his letter of intent and passport photos so hopefully he can get those to me in the next few weeks or so and I can get everything sent out.

You don't need a ring to be considered engaged. If you're intending on getting married, you're engaged. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.