Mandis

N-400 AUGUST 2020 FILERS

559 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi ya'll!

My application happened really quickly. I'm at the Pittsburgh, PA USCIS office. My N-400 application was received by USCIS on August 21st, 2020 and I had my interview this morning (November 24th, 2020). I was recommended for approval after my interview and am now just awaiting the scheduling of my oath ceremony :)

ETA: I applied without the help of an immigration attorney. I had a 10 year old DUI charge which I received an expungement for earlier this year. If anyone has any questions about that process, I'd be happy to answer them here or in dm.

Edited by sashacher

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, prat14 said:

@sashacher- Congratulations for approval. Would you mind sharing your interview experience? What was the questions asked? 

thanks

Sure!

The interview was very quick and easy. I was scheduled to start at 10:00 am but I didn't get called in until about 10:15 am, though I was out at approximately 10:50 am. My interviewer called me in and apologized for the delay. She had me hold up my right hand and promise to tell the truth. She told me not to be nervous and that she was "just here to make sure I'm OK to move on to the next step in the process". She verified my name and DOB with my green card, passport and driver's license and then immediately asked me about my DUI. It was technically not a DUI because I was not driving at the time, but I explained to her the situation and how it happened. I told her I regretted the decision and was careful to never put myself in a situation like that again. I told her I had been open about this since the beginning and had provided all the requested documents. I also informed her that I had received an expungement for the charge earlier this year and she asked to see those documents. I also told her that I haven't had any incidents since then to which she replied, "I know, I pulled your records" haha. So I suppose they do a very thorough check if you have/had a criminal record. I had not had so much as a speeding ticket since though.

I asked for a name change (back to my maiden name) on my application. I guess she thought it was weird because she asked if I was still married and I said "yes, of course, I just preferred having my old name". We did the paperwork for that.

Then she began going through my application and asking questions about how I met my husband, our relationship, and our families (my green card was based on a K1 visa/marriage to a US citizen). She asked me a lot of questions about my husband's family such as "does he have any siblings?", "do his parents like you?", "what do his parents do for work?", "what does he do for work?". She was very kind and, while I know asking those questions is her job, we actually had a very nice conversation about familial genetic conditions. I am probably closer to my husband's family now than my own so the questions were casual and easy for me to discuss.

Then we moved on to the reading/writing portion. She had me read "What do we pay to the government?" and then I had to write "We pay taxes". It was quick and simple.

Next, we did the civics test. I got the first six questions right so we stopped after that. The six questions I was asked were:

Who is the father of our country?

What are the first three words of the constitution?

Who is the current president of the US?

Who did the US fight in WWII?

What was one reason that led to the civil war?

We elect a senator for how many years?

After I passed those tests, she went over the answers to the 50 yes/no questions on my application. Then, she started telling me when and where my oath ceremony would be! And in my head I was thinking "wait, so did I get approved?!". Then she handed me my interview results and said "congratulations!". That was it! I tried to maintain my composure until I got into the elevator where I jumped around for joy :) Overall, it was a great experience.

Good luck to everyone else in thread!

Edited by sashacher
details

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Congrats to those approved and seeing movement with interviews scheduled?  For those who have, has your estimated completion timeframe been accurate or have these come completely out the blue?

I am still waiting on my online account to change to biometrics reuse showing up. Received the hard copy weeks ago but no sign of it changing online yet.

Dang I thought I posted here lol

N400 Interview Approved - November 23, 2020

I was interviewed in one of the windows in the waiting room, lol.  Appointment was 1:30pm but I was not called until 2:25pm. He asked for my 10 yr greencard and passport and proceeded to get the civics questions out of the way.

Civic Test Questions: 
What is freedom of religion?
Why are there 50 stars in the flag?
Why are there 13 stripes in the flag?
What did Martin Luther King Jr. do?
Who is the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court right now?
What is the supreme law of the land?

Reading and Writing:
Who elects Congress?
The people elects Congress. 

NO WORD DEFINITIONS

Officer asked me a few questions to confirm a few details / info about myself and my husband:
Where do you work?
What do you do there?
Did you travel outside of the US in the last 3 years?
Where was your husband born?

He asked about the address change since the one we had when I filed was different from the current one in the system. He asked me when we moved to the new place and if I have the lease with me. I told him we actually bought the place, and I didn't have the title with me because the title company has not sent it yet and I have proof of that. I had a feeling that could be brought up and I am so glad I brought some paperwork with me that shows we did buy a condo: letters from the mortgage company + the printed email exchange I had with the title company proving that COVID delayed their process of sending out the deed of our home.

He also asked us why we filed our taxes separately during the last tax season (we have always filed jointly except for 2019) and I have a ready and printed out explanation for that as well. YES I CAME PREPARED! 😆 He asked for the 2019 Tax forms with the attached W2s.
He asked how our marriage is and if we plan to divorce each other, lol. 

Yes and No Questions followed.

He then told me he is approving my application, printed my oath ceremony appointment letter and told me to come back on December 4 to get sworn in! I am so happy I don't have to wait to get scheduled as he already did that for me.

Officer was so nice, greeted me "Happy Birthday" and told me that this is their birthday gift for me as it is my birthday 10 days after the oath taking ceremony.

A TIP: In the letter for the interview appointment, it tells us to bring the originals of everything we submitted online. Make sure you bring originals of everything you filed PLUS all evidences of your marriage that you incurred AFTER you already filed because the officer could ask you for those things just like what happened to me. Officer was very happy I came in prepared, makes his job easier he said.

Goodluck to all of you who are still in the process! Your time will come. Keep praying, be patient, worry less and back it up with great organizing skills. I really do believe it pays off being organized. As someone who's always been hands on to all of the benefits we filed, none of them took so long to process. From K1 visa down to N400, it's been smooth and fast as hell which I am very grateful for.

AND IF YOU CAN, DO NOT HESITATE TO HELP THOSE WHO HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE PROCESS. PAY IT FORWARD. GOOD KARMA AWAITS YOU. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU ALL!

Edited by TheSkywalkers

K1 Visa Timeline (4 months / September 2016 to January 2017):

Timeline: Sept 23, 2016 (filing) to January 30, 2017 (visa on hand)
Our K1 Visa Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/k1-visa-process/

AOS Timeline (4 months / April 2017 to August 2017):

Timeline:  April 11, 2017 (filing) to August 28, 2017 (approved)

(September 14, 2017 - Greencard on Hand!  - late due to Hurricane Irma)
Our AOS Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/05/13/adjustment-of-status-greencard-application/

ROC Timeline (7 months / June 2019 to January 2020)

Timeline:  June 11, 2019 (filing) to January 29, 2020  (Card Mailed to Me)

Our ROC Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2019/06/07/removal-of-conditions-process/

N400 Timeline (3 months 3 weeks / August 7, 2020 -December 4, 2020)
August 7, 2020 - Filed Online

August 10, 2020 - NOA1 uploaded by USCIS in my account / Estimated Tiime of Completion updated as well (Feb 2021)

August 15, 2020 - Received NOA(hardcopy)

Sept 14, 2020 - Biometric Reuse

October 20, 2020 - Interview Has Been Scheduled

November 23, 2020 - Interview Date - Approved!

December 4, 2020 - OATH TAKING CEREMONY
Our N400 Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2020/08/08/filing-n400-path-to-citizenship/

8 hours ago, Absolutely said:

Congrats to those approved and seeing movement with interviews scheduled?  For those who have, has your estimated completion timeframe been accurate or have these come completely out the blue?

I am still waiting on my online account to change to biometrics reuse showing up. Received the hard copy weeks ago but no sign of it changing online yet.

They are not accurate. My estimated time of completion when I filed up until my bio reuse was 7 months (Feb 2021), I am done with my interview last Monday and will be taking my oath next week Friday so 4 months. My estimated waiting time has now changed to 4 months. 

K1 Visa Timeline (4 months / September 2016 to January 2017):

Timeline: Sept 23, 2016 (filing) to January 30, 2017 (visa on hand)
Our K1 Visa Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/k1-visa-process/

AOS Timeline (4 months / April 2017 to August 2017):

Timeline:  April 11, 2017 (filing) to August 28, 2017 (approved)

(September 14, 2017 - Greencard on Hand!  - late due to Hurricane Irma)
Our AOS Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/05/13/adjustment-of-status-greencard-application/

ROC Timeline (7 months / June 2019 to January 2020)

Timeline:  June 11, 2019 (filing) to January 29, 2020  (Card Mailed to Me)

Our ROC Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2019/06/07/removal-of-conditions-process/

N400 Timeline (3 months 3 weeks / August 7, 2020 -December 4, 2020)
August 7, 2020 - Filed Online

August 10, 2020 - NOA1 uploaded by USCIS in my account / Estimated Tiime of Completion updated as well (Feb 2021)

August 15, 2020 - Received NOA(hardcopy)

Sept 14, 2020 - Biometric Reuse

October 20, 2020 - Interview Has Been Scheduled

November 23, 2020 - Interview Date - Approved!

December 4, 2020 - OATH TAKING CEREMONY
Our N400 Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2020/08/08/filing-n400-path-to-citizenship/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
21 hours ago, sashacher said:

Sure!

The interview was very quick and easy. I was scheduled to start at 10:00 am but I didn't get called in until about 10:15 am, though I was out at approximately 10:50 am. My interviewer called me in and apologized for the delay. She had me hold up my right hand and promise to tell the truth. She told me not to be nervous and that she was "just here to make sure I'm OK to move on to the next step in the process". She verified my name and DOB with my green card, passport and driver's license and then immediately asked me about my DUI. It was technically not a DUI because I was not driving at the time, but I explained to her the situation and how it happened. I told her I regretted the decision and was careful to never put myself in a situation like that again. I told her I had been open about this since the beginning and had provided all the requested documents. I also informed her that I had received an expungement for the charge earlier this year and she asked to see those documents. I also told her that I haven't had any incidents since then to which she replied, "I know, I pulled your records" haha. So I suppose they do a very thorough check if you have/had a criminal record. I had not had so much as a speeding ticket since though.

I asked for a name change (back to my maiden name) on my application. I guess she thought it was weird because she asked if I was still married and I said "yes, of course, I just preferred having my old name". We did the paperwork for that.

Then she began going through my application and asking questions about how I met my husband, our relationship, and our families (my green card was based on a K1 visa/marriage to a US citizen). She asked me a lot of questions about my husband's family such as "does he have any siblings?", "do his parents like you?", "what do his parents do for work?", "what does he do for work?". She was very kind and, while I know asking those questions is her job, we actually had a very nice conversation about familial genetic conditions. I am probably closer to my husband's family now than my own so the questions were casual and easy for me to discuss.

Then we moved on to the reading/writing portion. She had me read "What do we pay to the government?" and then I had to write "We pay taxes". It was quick and simple.

Next, we did the civics test. I got the first six questions right so we stopped after that. The six questions I was asked were:

Who is the father of our country?

What are the first three words of the constitution?

Who is the current president of the US?

Who did the US fight in WWII?

What was one reason that led to the civil war?

We elect a senator for how many years?

After I passed those tests, she went over the answers to the 50 yes/no questions on my application. Then, she started telling me when and where my oath ceremony would be! And in my head I was thinking "wait, so did I get approved?!". Then she handed me my interview results and said "congratulations!". That was it! I tried to maintain my composure until I got into the elevator where I jumped around for joy :) Overall, it was a great experience.

Good luck to everyone else in thread!

Congratulations 🎉🎉🎉

event.png event.png

Timeline for our K-1 Fiance Visa:

09-27-13: Sent to Texas Lockbox

09-30-13: Recieved by USCIS - Confirmation sent by email

10-03-13: NOA1 from USCIS by email

10-15-13: NOA1 , hardcopy recieved

10-24-13: Alien registration nr was changed

11-12-13: NOA2 from USCIS by email

11-18-13: NOA2 , hardcopy recieved

12-04-13: Our case was shipped to NVC

12-10-13: NVC recieved

12-13-13: Got NVC case nr

12-18-13: Case sent to embassy

01-17-14: Medical exam.

01-23-14: Interview appt.

01-27-14: RFE sent

02-04-14: Approved

02-06-14: Recieved my visa

02-10-14: Poe FLL

04-18-14: Got married

Timeline for my AOS:

09-27-14: Sent to Chicago lockbox

10-03-14: Recieved by USCIS - Confirmation sent by email

10-21-14: Recieved an rfe by email

11-19-14: Rfe recieved by USCIS

02-18-15: Recieved a NPIW letter

07-23-15: Greencard is being produced

07-23-15: A welcome letter has been mailed<p>

07-27-15: Received the welcome letter

08-18-15 card was mailed to me

08-20-15 Received greencard in mail

Timeline for my EAD:

09-27-14: Sent to Chicago Lockbox

09-30-14: Recieved by USCIS - Confirmation sent by email

12-02-14: EAD approved

12-01-15: Biometrics appt.

12-01-15: Card in process and are being mailed

20-01-15: EAD card recieved in the mail

Seems like good things happening for a lot of people!   Congratulations everyone.

As for us, my wife filed in Orlando on August 30th.  At this point, nothing.  We are just shy of 6 years since the boimetrics were completed,

so I have no clue if they will reuse or want to schedule.  A bit disappointed we haven't heard anything yet.  I see Jacksonville and 

Miami already each have people that applied in August and have had their interviews.

Any other Orlando people here?   Are there many August filers left that filed and have not heard anything at all yet?

Fingers crossed for something soon!

Timeline
20 hours ago, MusicFan57 said:

Seems like good things happening for a lot of people!   Congratulations everyone.

As for us, my wife filed in Orlando on August 30th.  At this point, nothing.  We are just shy of 6 years since the boimetrics were completed,

so I have no clue if they will reuse or want to schedule.  A bit disappointed we haven't heard anything yet.  I see Jacksonville and 

Miami already each have people that applied in August and have had their interviews.

Any other Orlando people here?   Are there many August filers left that filed and have not heard anything at all yet?

Fingers crossed for something soon!

I'm Miami , i do have my interview in January , I applied late August as well . Hope you get an update soon. They did reuse my biometrics from a couple of years ago or so. I don't know how far back they are accepting re-use though 🤷‍♀️

event.png event.png

Timeline for my AOS:

Timeline for my EAD:

FYI - This appeared on my wife's account yesterday.  USCIS has changed the Civics test for anyone filing after Dec. 1, 2020 (not our group obviously).  We are thankfully locked in to the 10 question test from possible 100 questions.  Looks like moving forward they've increased mandatory questions to 20 out of a possible 128 questions.  Current administration doing all things possible to make immigration just slightly harder...
image.png.92bd9857d492a74826f5b6318d53af97.png

Timeline

I have a question and wanted to see if anyone in this group would know. 

I submitted a copy of the original of my husband's naturalization diploma or whatever you call it,lol, as well as his divorce decree. It says if I submitted a copy of it I have to bring the original to the interview,but how am I suppose to be able to submit the original when applying online?🤔 Does the one i submitted then count as the original or i really have to bring the actual originals to the interview?

Edited by anjans

event.png event.png

Timeline for my AOS:

Timeline for my EAD:

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: India
Timeline
10 hours ago, anjans said:

I have a question and wanted to see if anyone in this group would know. 

I submitted a copy of the original of my husband's naturalization diploma or whatever you call it,lol, as well as his divorce decree. It says if I submitted a copy of it I have to bring the original to the interview,but how am I suppose to be able to submit the original when applying online?🤔 Does the one i submitted then count as the original or i really have to bring the actual originals to the interview?

Submit the scan copy of all the documents and carry the actual copy to the interview.

Hi all, wish I had found this site much sooner!

I filed for my N400 on August 28th, I have my visa interview in 2 hours in the Durham office.

ive been told this is pretty fast.

due to Covid they used my green card biometrics as they are less than 10 years old - which saved some time.

really hoping the interview goes smooth, and I get to take the oath at the same time!

I’ll update later

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Good luck .. 

Nebraska SC

RD 12/16/2014

NOA1 12/22/2014

FP notice 01/16/2015

FB completed 1/27/2015

Expedite Request 2/03/2015 - Denied

Expedite Request #2 : 03/02/2015

Expedite Request #2 : Assigned to officer 03/03/2015,

EAD Approved 03/10/2015

EAD/AP Card production ordered 03/10/2015

EAD Received...... waiting..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.