Scandi

Passport process and required docs for new US Citizens

72 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

No you go to the post office or where ever they do the passports and then you apply there in person they will then send it in by mail to the passport agency that sits with the passport services. That's why you go in person for the first time and get it mailed in. 

Thank you, that explained it perfectly! Only in person then, I don't have to mail anything myself, they do it all for me. That sounds much easier than explained by others. 😂👍

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

4 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

I don't have issues sending it in not worried if it gets lost as the post service will pay for the new one (would like to not have that headache!) 

BUT I would hate if they fold it or squeeze it i(read fold it) in the mailbox when they return it! 

Even when they STAPLED it to the application, we both cringed!!!! WHYYYYYY!...NOOOOOO.... hee hee

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 minute ago, Scandi said:

Thank you, that explained it perfectly! Only in person then, I don't have to mail anything myself, they do it all for me. That sounds much easier than explained by others. 😂👍

Haha yeah nothing for you to mail in! Just follow the link you provided with the documents to bring and it should be easy! 

1 minute ago, Suze1 said:

Even when they STAPLED it to the application, we both cringed!!!! WHYYYYYY!...NOOOOOO.... hee hee

REALLY??? That should be illegal! 😅 Oh my I will not be happy why on earth would they do that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can wait for the passport agency offices to open and pay for expedited service.  Normally they process the application same day for pick up. (Pre covid anyways)  

Why  is everyone is such a rush to get a passports.  Most counties have banned American passport holders anyways. 

Edited by Henry357

ROC

03/05/2019 Notice to Transfer to Nebraska Service Center

04/05/2018 NOA from CSC (Biometrics waved) 

AOS

09/15/2016 EAD/AP Approved, Card in production, 09/23/2016 EAD/AP Received!

07/26/2015 Biometrics Notice Mailed (Appt 08/12/2015)

07/17/2015 NOA I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Henry357 said:

You can wait for the passport agency offices to open and pay for expedited service.  Normally they process the application same day for pick up. (Pre covid anyways)  

Why  is everyone is such a rush to get a passports.  Most counties have banned American passport holders anyways. 

If you are a duel Citizen you Can still go home to your country for let’s say Christmas but you need your American passport for the travel as well

Timeline
1 minute ago, Georgia16 said:

If you are a duel Citizen you Can still go home to your country for let’s say Christmas but you need your American passport for the travel as well

I just thought of that after I hit save.  When I was researching on FT they recommend applying at an embassy as lots of applications have gone missing.

Edited by Henry357

ROC

AOS

38 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Why would I go to DC? That makes zero sense. 

I read on the official website that you CAN'T apply for a passport online if it's your first passport after naturalization. It said you have to do it in person. 

That's why I was so confused about other people writing about how nervous they are about sending their naturalization certificate in the mail after becoming citizens...

And then others in this thread implied that you first go in person, and then you apply via mail afterwards. It's  extremely confusing now. 

This is what travel.state.gov says. Are these steps correct? I don't see anything about mailing anything or going to DC, only submitting in person to a passport station?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/apply-in-person.html

The Post Office submits the certificate in the mail on your behalf and it is returned via mail from the DOS.

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The reason you have to do the first passport in person at an authorized agency is because there is a Oath that needs to be administered stating that everything is true to the best of your knowledge etc. This oath has to be administered verbally, and in person, that is why the first must be in person. As others have stated, do not get photos done at the post office, as they are pricey, better to get them done anywhere else, I do mine myself for about .19 cents for 6 photos using a app on my phone. Never had an issue with my own photos thru the whole process of immigration, or renewing passports. For renewals you just send in your old passport, a form and a fee. Now, I have renewed hundreds of passports for people, and I am going to give you some tips.... don't worry about them losing your certificate, I have done hundreds and they have never lost a certificate, or anyone's birth certificate. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I would think it is extremely rare. If you want to speed up the process without paying extra, best thing to do is fill out the application online directly at the government site. When you fill it out online before you go to the post office or wherever, it allows you to print the application with a special 3-D barcode on the top of the first page. When they receive the application they only scan the first page, verify your information and create the passport. The barcoded ones always get processed faster in my experience as it is less work for the employees because they don't have to manually enter all the info, and because most government workers are notoriously lazy, the less work you make for them the faster they will pull your application out of the stack, they see barcode, they think easy day. If you have any other questions, I have done many passports, and can help you out if needed.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

1 hour ago, Scandi said:

I read on the official website that you CAN'T apply for a passport online if it's your first passport after naturalization. It said you have to do it in person. 

That's why I was so confused about other people writing about how nervous they are about sending their naturalization certificate in the mail after becoming citizens...

And then others in this thread implied that you first go in person, and then you apply via mail afterwards. It's  extremely confusing now. 

This is what travel.state.gov says. Are these steps correct? I don't see anything about mailing anything or going to DC, only submitting in person to a passport station?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/apply-in-person.html

If it is the first time, you apply IN PERSON at either an authorized post office or at your local passport office. You need to submit both your original naturalization certificate and a photocopy. They would then be forwarding your documents to whoever the passport issuing authority is. You would then get back your passport and your naturalization certificate in two separate mailings (if you have also applied for a passport card, I think that makes it three separate mailings, but I am not sure). Also, most local passport offices are currently only handling emergency applications, so you can only get it done at the post offices, for now.  Yes, it is stressfull knowing that your documents may get lost in the mail WHEN THEY ARE SENT BACK TO YOU. However, I also think (I am not sure, though) that if any of the documents get lost before they reach you, then they will be replaced at no cost to you (there is confusion about this still, so if anyone knows anything, please let us know).

Edited by RunTheRoad

Timeline
Just now, RunTheRoad said:

If it is the first time, you apply IN PERSON at either an authorized post office or at your local passport office. You need to submit both your original naturalization certificate and a photocopy. They would then be forwarding your documents to whoever the passport issuing authority is. You would then get back your passport and your naturalization certificate in two separate mailings (if you have also applied for a passport card, I think that makes it three separate mailings, but I am not sure). Also, most local passport offices are currently only handling emergency applications, so you can only get it done at the post offices, for now.  Yes, it is stressfull knowing that your documents may get lost in the mail WHEN THEY ARE SENT BACK TO YOU. However, I also think (I am sure) if any of the documents get lost before they reach, then they will be replaced at no cost to you (there is confusion about this still, so if anyone knows anything, please let us know).

You are correct, if you get the card also, it will be a separate mailing, so yes you will get 1- your birth certificate( US citizen by birth) or Naturalization Certificate( Became citizen after birth) in one mailing. 2-Passport itself( Book) in another mailing, and 3- passport card by itself in an envelope with the " Special" protective sleeve they include.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

5 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

The reason you have to do the first passport in person at an authorized agency is because there is a Oath that needs to be administered stating that everything is true to the best of your knowledge etc. This oath has to be administered verbally, and in person, that is why the first must be in person. As others have stated, do not get photos done at the post office, as they are pricey, better to get them done anywhere else, I do mine myself for about .19 cents for 6 photos using a app on my phone. Never had an issue with my own photos thru the whole process of immigration, or renewing passports. For renewals you just send in your old passport, a form and a fee. Now, I have renewed hundreds of passports for people, and I am going to give you some tips.... don't worry about them losing your certificate, I have done hundreds and they have never lost a certificate, or anyone's birth certificate. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I would think it is extremely rare. If you want to speed up the process without paying extra, best thing to do is fill out the application online directly at the government site. When you fill it out online before you go to the post office or wherever, it allows you to print the application with a special 3-D barcode on the top of the first page. When they receive the application they only scan the first page, verify your information and create the passport. The barcoded ones always get processed faster in my experience as it is less work for the employees because they don't have to manually enter all the info, and because most government workers are notoriously lazy, the less work you make for them the faster they will pull your application out of the stack, they see barcode, they think easy day. If you have any other questions, I have done many passports, and can help you out if needed.

Thank you! I did fill out the form online and got it barcoded etc. Glad to know it would likely speed the process up. Also, I have been hearing that post offices are extra careful with immigration-related documents.

Timeline
Just now, RunTheRoad said:

Thank you! I did fill out the form online and got it barcoded etc. Glad to know it would likely speed the process up. Also, I have been hearing that post offices are extra careful with immigration-related documents.

In my experience, I would like to think they are extra careful, but they are still just a government employee doing a job. I will admit the feedback I have gotten from all the people I help is a positive one with regards to the post office handling your documents . I feel no one is better at being extra careful with your immigration documents than yourself ( You know how hard it was to get the document in the first place, LOL) . I believe the post office is a better option than a passport agency ( Though there are good ones, they are few and far between). Double check where you live about passport applications. many states allow you to do it at the County Clerks office also. I have also seen a few states ( Ohio, as I used to live there) allows you to have the oath administered at the County Library of all places, then you can mail in your own application from there. Post office while a little bit of a hassle, does do a lot of applications, and the ease of shipping, and money order, and photos all in one place obviously gives them an edge, but they also are one of the more expensive ways to do the whole process, but with convenience comes cost.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
1 hour ago, Henry357 said:

I just thought of that after I hit save.  When I was researching on FT they recommend applying at an embassy as lots of applications have gone missing.

Not all of us can have the ease of dual citizenship 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Not all of us can have the ease of dual citizenship 

Where are non dual citizens travelling to that they need a passport so badly? Basically only Mexico and a few islands is open to Americans 

Seems safer and less inconvenient to wait. 

Edited by Henry357

ROC

AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, Scandi said:

you asked "so , i have to mail it in"   yes,  or go to DC and apply in person

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.