REP&KMM

Worst Mistake Ever...

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

When I had to get my C1/D, I went for the interview on the Tuesday, knowing full well that I was due to ship out on the Saturday. I told them at the embassy, and lo and behold, my passport arrived on time :) Keep your fingers crossed....

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, your passport with the visa in it arrives together with the large brown envelope. You do not open the Large Brown Envelope, and you have no need to - your passport is separate from the large brown envelope. You hand-carry that large brown envelope with you because you will present it when you arrive at the American border. They will open the envelope when you enter the US, review the documents and 'process' you through the border, officially admitting you to the US. You will pay for and receive your I-94 (entry-exit document) that will be stapled inside your passport and your 90 day period of validity will be written on the I-94. K-1s need to marry before that date expires. The border authority keeps your brown envelope and forwards it to the immigration office where you will be applying for Adjustment of Status. They will 'hold' the file until they receive your application, at which time they will 'marry' your AOS application to your existing file and start the processing on your Adjustment of Status. As has been mentioned, the envelope needs to stay sealed so that nothing can be added or subtracted from it by anyone other than immigration officials.

Good luck in getting your envelope back in time for your flight.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Yes, your passport with the visa in it arrives together with the large brown envelope. You do not open the Large Brown Envelope, and you have no need to - your passport is separate from the large brown envelope. You hand-carry that large brown envelope with you because you will present it when you arrive at the American border. They will open the envelope when you enter the US, review the documents and 'process' you through the border, officially admitting you to the US. You will pay for and receive your I-94 (entry-exit document) that will be stapled inside your passport and your 90 day period of validity will be written on the I-94. K-1s need to marry before that date expires. The border authority keeps your brown envelope and forwards it to the immigration office where you will be applying for Adjustment of Status. They will 'hold' the file until they receive your application, at which time they will 'marry' your AOS application to your existing file and start the processing on your Adjustment of Status. As has been mentioned, the envelope needs to stay sealed so that nothing can be added or subtracted from it by anyone other than immigration officials.

Good luck in getting your envelope back in time for your flight.

PAY for???

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Timeline

Yes, the I-94 costs $6 or maybe it is $7 dollars US now. You pay it when you cross the border to the border authority who processes you. It is a good idea to have the US cash available before you get there; it is a good idea to have some US cash when you cross the border anyways, so just be aware that you will be asked for about $6 for the I-94.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Katie, should be interesting how Rich handles Christmas :devil::lol:

Everyone has me so afraid of that brown envelope now. When I'm finally to that point, I'm going to make my daughter hide it somewhere with all the goodies she stashes away on me :thumbs:

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

ahh guys! great news- the embassy called Rich today, they resealed the envelope and gave it to the couriers today- the couriers called him and told him that they would deliver it tomorrow between 9-5!! So looks like he should be good for his flight on Wednesday! I swear the second I see that boy he's gonna gettng a kick for the stress he's put me though this last week :P

But hey at least we know for sure now the if anyone else going through London opens their brown envelope (DON'T DO ITTT!) the embassy will do everything they can to get it back before the flight- Just for future reference, call the embassy, email the embassy about the whole situation(include flight details) , AND attach a letter with the envelope the courier picks up to bring back to the embassy. Worked out perfectly for us!

thank you guys soo much for the support, couldn't have done it without you! :dancing:

Katie & Rich

Our Story:

2/22/2006: Met in Derby England

2/22/2006- 6/16/2006: Getting to know each other & falling in love

6/16/2006-9/5/2006: Summer apart... HUGE phone bills!

9/5/2006-12/19/2006: Reunited in Derby!

12/28/2006-1/9/2007: Rich comes to America

1/10/2007-7/14/2007:England for another semester together

2/14/2007: Rich proposes!!

6/27/2007: US entry @ JFK

9/7/2007: Married!

K-1 Process:

3/8/07: I-129F sent to VSC

3/12/07: NOA1

3/17/07: Touched

4/2/07: NOA2!!!

4/3/07: Touched

AOS/EAD Process:

9/24/07: Filed for AOS/ EAD

9/28/07: NOA1 for AOS and EAD

10/17/07: Biometrics in Manchester, NH

11/16/07: EAD approved!

12/3/07: Case transferred to CSC

2/1/08: AOS approved!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

:thumbs:YAY!!!!! :thumbs:

I am so glad this is resolved for you !!!

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

TIME LINE 2007

01/12/07-I Fly to Australia

01/25/07-We Got Married!

07/15/07-Point of Entry (K3 Visa)

K3 Time Line for the I-130, I-129F, EAD and AOS

usaCa.gifanimated-hearts.gifaustralC_1xa.gif

Lifting Conditions Timeline

11/06/09- Mailed Petition Via USPS Certified Mail

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/12/09- Return Receipt Arrives in Mail

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

11/27/09- Received Appointment Letter

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/08/10- Card Production Ordered (E-Mail)

01/09/10- Touched

01/14/10- Greencard Received

Those entering on a CR1/IR1 don't need a I-94 though, right?

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Those entering on a CR1/IR1 don't need a I-94 though, right?

As far as I know, I-94s are for non-immigrant visas, so CR1s/IR1s are not required to complete one.

Also, I thought the price of an I-94 was absorbed in your plane ticket price under "other taxes and fees"... :unsure:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Ooh, just answered my own question. A $6 fee is levied for those entering at a land border, but the fee is indeed absorbed for those entering at an airport. Got it now -- the poster who referred to the fee was Canadian, so must have been referring to crossing a land border.

Ooh, just answered my own question. A $6 fee is levied for those entering at a land border, but the fee is indeed absorbed for those entering at an airport. Got it now -- the poster who referred to the fee was Canadian, so must have been referring to crossing a land border.

While in my eyes, people from all regions should be able to post in whichever forum they like, it does cheese me off when posters come into a specified regional forum and start spouting off information that may be factual for them, but merely confuses the hell out of the rest of us.... :unsure:

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

While in my eyes, people from all regions should be able to post in whichever forum they like, it does cheese me off when posters come into a specified regional forum and start spouting off information that may be factual for them, but merely confuses the hell out of the rest of us.... :unsure:

This is something I think about frequently here at VJ. I enjoy going into the other regional forums, and even the K1 and K3 ones, and I learn a lot from others' experiences even though they are not strictly analogous. Sometimes I post, but I try to be careful not to apply what I think may very well be UK-specific advice. And I like to see that people from outside the UK feel welcome enough to post here.

I'm not sure there is an easy solution -- how to be inclusive and welcoming while keeping inapplicable or potentially confusing (but well-meaning) advice out -- beyond relying on other members to come in and correct misconceptions. I certainly wouldn't want non-UKers to feel unwelcome here, or to have their good intentions mocked or belittled.

Oh dear, I think I'm straying :ot: ...

Timeline

The I-94 costs $6 regardless. Since the airlines incorporate the fee into the flight charges then it does make it easier on entry. It isn't a matter of there being no charge for the I-94 though, merely a difference on when you pay it. Having been taken by surprise myself when I entered the US by having to pay the fee, I was hoping to help others avoid the unexpected when you are already feeling stressed and anxious. So now I have learned that those entering by air have one less thing to worry about -_-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.