JODO

Greedy couple cashes in after their wedding shower?

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

NY Italians give money, too. I've gone to several weddings in FL where I've given cash & our mutual friends were all 'eww that's so tacky'

I'm all 'you got her a blender, I gave her $300...figure out the tacky one, hon'

Meanwhile, I will say that I find the notion of a registry tacky to begin with. No one has to buy/give you anything...but to be all 'choose from this list' is rude. Well wait, what I find rude is including the registry info WITH the invite. Balls to that!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
NY Italians give money, too. I've gone to several weddings in FL where I've given cash & our mutual friends were all 'eww that's so tacky'

I'm all 'you got her a blender, I gave her $300...figure out the tacky one, hon'

Meanwhile, I will say that I find the notion of a registry tacky to begin with. No one has to buy/give you anything...but to be all 'choose from this list' is rude. Well wait, what I find rude is including the registry info WITH the invite. Balls to that!

Amen, amen, and AMEN!

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I always give cash or a gift card (if requested) for a wedding gift. It's easy on the bride/groom and always welcomed.

In this case I'd do a no show and no gift though.

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

I agree that including the registry with the invitation is in poor taste, but I really don't see a problem with having a registry. Either people say, "what do you want us to get you" and you tell them, or you have a registry that you've designed for a wide range of budgets and when they say, "what do you want us to get you" they get to pick out something they know you'll like. Or they can get you something else.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

Preach it, sista! :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I was at a Home Outfitters in Canada after our shower because we needed to exchange a shower gift for a different size and this girl cam in waith three cart loads of gifts and returned them all.. I was speechless and couldn't believe it.

Some people have absulutely no manners. If you wanted cash for your shower, then you should have had the balls to ask for it in the first place.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Some places issue gift receipts that don't show the price, but a lot of stores (Walmart, etc.) will take it back without a receipt..the only thing is they'll only give you the most recent sale price if it's been on sale, things like that... M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

While this couple was tacky and rude, I agree with Abbey's response not to stoop to their level:

DEAR SPEECHLESS: After the performance you witnessed, no one can blame you for feeling as you do. Your breach of etiquette would not be in skipping the fund-raiser (oops! wedding); it would be to do so without first informing the couple and having them go to the expense of ordering food and drinks for you. They should be notified immediately, in a short note, that "your plans have changed, and you are not able to attend." This will get you off the hook without being rude to a couple you really don't care to associate with in the future anyway.

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
How do you return a gift without a receipt? :unsure:

This was my though.. but perhaps they did register at a store where they knew that they would be able to get the $$ back from the gifts. We did ask people not to give us actual gifts because we already had so much stuff as singles. This is unbelievable really!

UGH :wacko:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Meh, why lie to save them $$$ when that's all they're after in the first place? I say show up with an envelope containing a blank card and $100 of Monopoly money and enjoy a free meal on them! :jest:

While this couple was tacky and rude, I agree with Abbey's response not to stoop to their level:
DEAR SPEECHLESS: After the performance you witnessed, no one can blame you for feeling as you do. Your breach of etiquette would not be in skipping the fund-raiser (oops! wedding); it would be to do so without first informing the couple and having them go to the expense of ordering food and drinks for you. They should be notified immediately, in a short note, that "your plans have changed, and you are not able to attend." This will get you off the hook without being rude to a couple you really don't care to associate with in the future anyway.

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Meh, why lie to save them $$$ when that's all they're after in the first place? I say show up with an envelope containing a blank card and $100 of Monopoly money and enjoy a free meal on them! :jest:

:thumbs::thumbs:

i have to wonder if the bride and groom to be ever thought about the greediness of their future partner while all of this was going on. i'd certainly refuse to attend the wedding though.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I wouldn't go to the wedding, or I'd be mean about it. I'd show up at the wedding with a matching set for the blue towels and say "Here, to complement the awful gift I gave you before, go cash it in for money". I'd probably want to say that during a toast, to make sure everyone heard.

Actually, I'd probably just not go, but I'd sure wish I had to the balls to be mean.

In Brazil it's normal to have a registry, it's not offensive to do so, and it's easier on the guests knowing what the couple really wants. Registries usually have gifts ranging from the cheap to the expensive, to fit all pocket sizes.

Bridal showers usually have a list of cheap kitchen stuff like ice trays and can openers, and it's done in a cute fun way, with the bride being blindfolded and trying to guess what each package is, being drawn on or made wear funny clothes when she gets it wrong.

For the money part, it's usually during the reception, they'll take a male tie, and "sell" pieces of it to the guests, that can contribute with any amount of money. The money is usually to help the bride and groom on their honeymoon.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY