JODO

Greedy couple cashes in after their wedding shower?

41 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Can you really get cash back from stores? I thought they would give you a store credit instead to get something you wanted?

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is tasteless and tacky indeed! For my part, I would cancel out the plans for attending the wedding - and not repeat their tacky behaviour by not notifying them - at least you would have the class to behave with care and consideration even though the couple themselves do not. I would be more tempted however to try and find a gift that they couldn't return - from some sort of obscure store, on sale with a 'no returns' policy just so they had to keep it:-) and couldn't get the cash from returning it. I definitely would NOT get something from their registry.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
GREEDY COUPLE CASHES IN AFTER THEIR WEDDING SHOWER

By Abigail Van Buren

Mon Jun 18, 7:57 PM ET

DEAR ABBY: My husband and I have been invited to the wedding of some casual friends, "Ron" and "Barbie." We sent in our RSVP accepting the invitation, but already we're dreading the day. You see, a few weeks after we mailed it, we had dinner with them.

During the dinner, Ron and Barbie blatantly informed us that they had registered for expensive shower items (I had attended the shower) so they could return the gifts for cash. During the conversation, I mentioned I'd had my eye on a pricey vacuum cleaner I had seen advertised on TV. Barbie turned to her fiance and said, "Honey, we should have registered for that so we could return it for the cash!"

I was floored. So was my husband, though neither of us said a word until we were well on our way home and away from the "happy couple."

If that wasn't enough, they were complaining about some blue towels they had received that they had not registered for. Barbie said they hated them and had returned them. Want to guess what my shower gift was? The blue towels, of course. I couldn't believe she was saying this to us!

My husband was so disgusted he quietly excused himself from attending the bachelor party. Now he no longer even wants to go to the wedding -- let alone give them another gift. He says they make him sick. But we already sent in the card saying that we'll be attending. I agree with my husband on this. The only thing holding us back is the etiquette issue of being a "no-show." Otherwise, I couldn't give a rip about those people. What to do? -- SPEECHLESS IN MICHIGAN

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucda/20070618/lf_u...XW22CROCd8DW7oF

I read your post earlier and finally am going to reply with out reading all of the comments.

If you do not plan on hanging out with them again, you can gracefully rescind your attendance.

I am sure there is a proper way to do it, Being a no show or being an angry guest I would think is more of breach of etiquette

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I was at a Home Outfitters in Canada after our shower because we needed to exchange a shower gift for a different size and this girl cam in waith three cart loads of gifts and returned them all.. I was speechless and couldn't believe it.

Some people have absulutely no manners. If you wanted cash for your shower, then you should have had the balls to ask for it in the first place.

When did wedding showers start? :unsure:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I was at a Home Outfitters in Canada after our shower because we needed to exchange a shower gift for a different size and this girl cam in waith three cart loads of gifts and returned them all.. I was speechless and couldn't believe it.

Some people have absulutely no manners. If you wanted cash for your shower, then you should have had the balls to ask for it in the first place.

When did wedding showers start? :unsure:

When bride and grooms-to-be starting wreaking of body odor! :lol:

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Get some new friends, kick them to the curb.

K1

1/22/07: I-129F sent to CSC

1/23/07: I-129F packet received and signed for at 9:45A.M.!!

1/29/07: NOA1

4/27/07: NOA2

5/01/07: NOA2 Hardcopy received

5/10/07: Approval arrives at NVC

5/14/07: Leaves NVC

5/17/07: Arrives at Bogota, Colombia

5/18/07: Packet 3 faxed to Embassy

5/22/07: Packet 3 sent via courier

5/30/07: Wendy receives packet 3 (Good thing we used the shortcut)

6/04/07: Packet 4 received

7/03/07: Medical appt. scheduled

7/05/07: Interview!!!! VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!

7/09/07: Visa in hand!!!

7/11/07: Point of Entry at LAX, complete success!!!!!!!!!!

7/24/07: Married!!!

AOS & EAD

07/27/07: Filed for AOS & EAD

08/02/07: Arrives at Chicago

09/10/07: NOA1

09/11/07: Social Security card in hand

10/12/07: Biometrics appointment

10/25/07: EAD Approved

01/23/08: Interview = APPROVED

02/02/08: Green Card received...10 day turn around, not bad!!!

Removing Conditions

11/12/09: Mailed to CSC!

11/13/09: Arrives at CSC!

11/16/09: NOA1

11/18/09: Check Cashed!

12/14/09: Biometrics

01/07/10: Card Production Ordered (APPROVED)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Get some new friends, kick them to the curb.

Would you at least give them a chair only for the bride and her brother to sit in at the same time? :D

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

i'd go to the wedding, eat up, drink up, and leave no gift. :P

Daniel

:energetic:

Ana (Mexico) ------ Daniel (California)(me)

---------------------------------------------

Sept. 11, 2004: Got married (civil), in Mexico :D

July 23, 2005: Church wedding

===============================

K3(I-129F):

Oct. 28, 2004: Mailed I-129F.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Nov. 3, 2004: NOA1!!!!

Nov. 5, 2004: Check Cashed!!

zzzz deep hibernationn zzzz

May 12, 2005 NOA2!!!! #######!!! huh???

off to NVC.

May 26, 2005: NVC approves I129F.

CR1(I-130):

Oct. 6, 2004: Mailed I-130.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Oct. 8, 2004: I-130 Delivered to CSC in Laguna Niguel.

~Per USPS website's tracking tool.

Oct. 12, 2004 BCIS-CSC Signs for I-130 packet.

Oct. 21, 2004 Check cashed!

Oct. 25, 2004 NOA1 (I-130) Go CSC!!

Jan. 05, 2005 Approved!!!! Off to NVC!!!!

NVC:

Jan. 05, 2005 ---> in route from CSC

Jan. 12, 2005 Case entered system

Jan. 29, 2005 Received I-864 Bill

Jan. 31, 2005 Sent Payment to St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 01, 2005 Wife received DS3032(Choice of Agent)

Feb. 05, 2005 Payment Received in St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 08, 2005 Sent DS3032 to Portsmouth NH

Feb. 12, 2005 DS3032 Received by NVC

Mar. 04, 2005 Received IV Bill

Mar. 04, 2005 Sent IV Bill Payment

Mar. 08, 2005 Received I864

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Mar. 21, 2005 I864 Received my NVC

Apr. 18, 2005 Received DS230

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

Apr. 20, 2005 DS230 received by NVC (signed by S Merfeld)

Apr. 22, 2005 DS230 entered NVC system

Apr. 27, 2005 CASE COMPLETE

May 10, 2005 CASE SENT TO JUAREZ

Off to Cd. Juarez! :D

calls to NVC: 6

CIUDAD JUAREZ, American Consulate:

Apr. 27, 2005 case completed at NVC.

May 10, 2005 in route to Juarez.

May 25, 2005 Case at consulate.

-- Legal Disclaimer:What I say is only a reflection of what I did, going to do, or may do; it may also reflect what I have read others did, are going to do, or may do. What you do or may do is what you do or may do. You do so or may do so strictly out of your on voilition; or follow what a lawyer advised you to do, or may do. Having said that: have a nice day!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It might perhaps - if they're good friends - be appropriate to mention that what they're doing comes across as a little crass, and suggest that if cash is what they're after, they could of asked for it. If one is particularly tactful and diplomatic.

I would certainly not be attending the wedding, and would also be tempted to choose a gift from an obscure store with no return policy citing the excuse of "I saw this and it just reeked of you, and I thought you'd appreciate it so much more than all that big-box store stuff...."

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Bring some friends along to crash the wedding then piss in the punch bowel if they have one lol. :jest:

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM