harden4mvp

Recent timeline for I-131 LPR re-entry permit

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
4 hours ago, JBaluyut said:

Hi! When you applied, did you surrender ypur old permit? You said you "do not have to fly back", does this mean you went back outside US after you filed? Can you please share what process you did? My son's permit os expiring this October.. 

yes, the application instructions require you to surrender your (expiring) permit. 

I waited for USCIS to cash the check and send me a receipt notice for my I-131 before leaving. You can choose for the new permit to be mailed to the embassy overseas so you can pick it up for your trip back to the US.

23 minutes ago, Movedin2004 said:

yes, the application instructions require you to surrender your (expiring) permit. 

I waited for USCIS to cash the check and send me a receipt notice for my I-131 before leaving. You can choose for the new permit to be mailed to the embassy overseas so you can pick it up for your trip back to the US.

Thanks for the reply. 

Do you know how many months before expiration can you apply for a new one? When did you apply yours before expiring? 

Edited by JBaluyut

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
8 hours ago, JBaluyut said:

Thank u. another question.. If you applied last august, was it a renewal? If renewal, when is the expiration of your first? And didi you surrender your old permit at what stage? 

It’s a first application. I have elderly parents overseas with health issues and it’s more an insurance if I have to travel to them and  them get stuck out if the USA for longer than planned. 

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Yileidy said:

Hi are you still awaiting approval? 

YES!

Is this not normal?

Is a good sign that they took my bio from my old application?

If my application was denied they would not take my bio right?

Thanks

5 hours ago, ros88 said:

YES!

Is this not normal?

Is a good sign that they took my bio from my old application?

If my application was denied they would not take my bio right?

Thanks

Theres nothing wrong with using your old biometrics.  I had to actually attend to an appointment.  Question when did they applied your biometrics? And just to reconfirm your case is being processed at Nebraska? 

15 hours ago, Yileidy said:

Theres nothing wrong with using your old biometrics.  I had to actually attend to an appointment.  Question when did they applied your biometrics? And just to reconfirm your case is being processed at Nebraska? 

Yes Nebraska! And the processed my bio on January 22.

Is a good sign that they took my biometrics? It means that the application has not been denied right?

Why taking my bio if they would not approve the form right?

3 minutes ago, ros88 said:

Yes Nebraska! And the processed my bio on January 22.

Is a good sign that they took my biometrics? It means that application has not been denied right?

Why taking my bio if they would not approve the form right?

I cant say if it's a confirmation that it will be approved but dont worry I havent heard of anyone being denied.. there Is some good news though Nebraska just updated their processing time so now cases are taking 8 -10.5 months. Since you applied in  july you will have 10 months by May. What i would recommend is to file an inquiry next month . I'm actually surprised you havent gotten your approval yet, I've seen so many persons from july/Aug getting approvals lately 

1 minute ago, Yileidy said:

I cant say if it's a confirmation that it will be approved but dont worry I havent heard of anyone being denied.. there Is some good news though Nebraska just updated their processing time so now cases are taking 8 -10.5 months. Since you applied in  july you will have 10 months by May. What i would recommend is to file an inquiry next month . I'm actually surprised you havent gotten your approval yet, I've seen so many persons from july/Aug getting approvals lately 

I have actually applied in october and got my bio in January.

I am afraid to be denied because I have been already out of the country for almost 2 years (not continuosly) in the last 5 years and thats why I am concerned and try to understand if the fact that they took my bio is a good or bad sign.

3 minutes ago, ros88 said:

I have actually applied in october and got my bio in January.

I am afraid to be denied because I have been already out of the country for almost 2 years (not continuosly) in the last 5 years and thats why I am concerned and try to understand if the fact that they took my bio is a good or bad sign.

Oh ok I misunderstood. Are you currently outside of the country? And what's the longest in a consecutive period that you have been outside of the country? Did you by any chance broke the 6 months requirement at any phase? 

I had a 2 year permit in the last 5 years. According to law is goes like this:if you've spent more than 4 of the previous 5 years since gaining a green card outside the United States, you'll only be issued a re-entry permit valid for a single year. So baisically you can get up to ( 2) year permit twice during the first 5 year since gaining Green .

also I applied in September 2020, biometrics appointment was Dec 29th so you are right behind me. Hopefully something's comes up soon

1 minute ago, Yileidy said:

Oh ok I misunderstood. Are you currently outside of the country? And what's the longest in a consecutive period that you have been outside of the country? Did you by any chance broke the 6 months requirement at any phase? 

I had a 2 year permit in the last 5 years. According to law is goes like this:if you've spent more than 4 of the previous 5 years since gaining a green card outside the United States, you'll only be issued a re-entry permit valid for a single year. So baisically you can get up to ( 2) year permit twice during the first 5 year since gaining Green .

also I applied in September 2020, biometrics appointment was Dec 29th so you are right behind me. Hopefully something's comes up soon

I am in the US since september but in the last 5 years I have been out of the country for a consecutive period of 11 months.

That's why I am asking, could I be denied event if as you wrote "if you've spent more than 4 of the previous 5 years since gaining a green card outside the United States, you'll only be issued a re-entry permit valid for a single year" ???

• 9 months later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Please correct me if I am wrong but the application for a re-entry permit must be sent more than 2 months in advance, before the departure, right? What might happen if I plan on leaving the country in June but I send my application now, I travel outside the country for a few months and return in May, for example? Does anyone have an example of letter that describes the purpose of the trip (Part 4 of the application). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 7:46 AM, Anda said:

Please correct me if I am wrong but the application for a re-entry permit must be sent more than 2 months in advance, before the departure, right? What might happen if I plan on leaving the country in June but I send my application now, I travel outside the country for a few months and return in May, for example? Does anyone have an example of letter that describes the purpose of the trip (Part 4 of the application). 

If you apply and then have to travel outside US, you can request the permit to be sent to a US consulate nearest to you. 

Check the application form, it has a question specifically designed for that.

However, that assumes they still reuse biometrics and don't require you to go in in person for that. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.