harden4mvp

Recent timeline for I-131 LPR re-entry permit

44 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello! My husband has his visa interview in Juarez, Mexico (hopefully) in July/August of this year... we want to get a 2 year Re-entry permit for him as we would like start spending the majority of the year in Mexico and summers in the US - I see USCIS processing times for I-131 are currently 11 months!  I know he has to apply for the re-entry permit in the US -

Can we wait for the actual permit in Mexico? As in we can leave as soon as his biometrics are done?  He had biometrics done for his visa process - wouldn't they just use that? 

Can we send in his I-131 application with a copy of his passport visa stamp or does it require his actual green card?

Just trying to get some sort of a timeline and it is driving me crazy... 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Clarebear101 said:

Hello! My husband has his visa interview in Juarez, Mexico (hopefully) in July/August of this year... we want to get a 2 year Re-entry permit for him as we would like start spending the majority of the year in Mexico and summers in the US - I see USCIS processing times for I-131 are currently 11 months!  I know he has to apply for the re-entry permit in the US -

Can we wait for the actual permit in Mexico? As in we can leave as soon as his biometrics are done?  He had biometrics done for his visa process - wouldn't they just use that? 

Can we send in his I-131 application with a copy of his passport visa stamp or does it require his actual green card?

He already has a green card? Then I believe he can leave after biometrics is taken, but check with a lawyer please to make sure. 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, tkyang99 said:

He already has a green card? Then I believe he can leave after biometrics is taken, but check with a lawyer please to make sure. 

No, his interview for his residency should be within the next 6 months. I was just looking for anyone’s experience. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If the goal is to live in mexico and spend summers in the US, why applying for a GC? GC is not to have vacations in the US. That's why there are tourist visas.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

If the goal is to live in mexico and spend summers in the US, why applying for a GC? GC is not to have vacations in the US. That's why there are tourist visas.

We plan to live in both. We own property in both. We’ve been in the GC process since 2013. Life changes. We are finally in the last few months of the process so we are seeing it through. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Best for him to get US Citizenship first, then he can do what he wants.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Clarebear101 said:

We plan to live in both. We own property in both. We’ve been in the GC process since 2013. Life changes. We are finally in the last few months of the process so we are seeing it through. 

That's the issue. GC is to live in the US, not in two different countries. If the plan is to live in both, GC and reentry permit might not work well. I would suggest moving to the US, and plan to apply for citizenship after 3 years. With dual citizenship, everything becomes easier.

3 hours ago, Clarebear101 said:

as we would like start spending the majority of the year in Mexico and summers in the US -

He will need to spend at least 6 months a year in the US for his green card to be “safe”. Just summers is probably not going to work for very long, certainly will not be enough to get him citizenship if that is an ultimate goal. He is aware that there are tax obligations and he needs to file with the IRS every year? I understand you have sunk costs here but going through all the way may  not be the best plan given what you’ve said here...especially if he ends up losing the GC through not meeting residency requirements.  Re-entry permits cannot be renewed indefinitely. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

On 2/2/2021 at 2:24 AM, Movedin2004 said:

I applied in November. All I have is a receipt notice. I am hoping they use previous biometrics so I do not have to fly back with the COVID situation (and save the time it takes)

Hi! When you applied, did you surrender ypur old permit? You said you "do not have to fly back", does this mean you went back outside US after you filed? Can you please share what process you did? My son's permit os expiring this October.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 2/18/2021 at 1:46 PM, ros88 said:

and Howl long does usually take from now?

I applied August 6 2020. Notice that Biometrics  were applied .. they used my GC biometrics... came about 6 weeks later    I received my Reentry permit mid February 2021 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, JBaluyut said:

Did you go outside US while waiting for the biometrics update? Or when you were waiting for the permit? 

I didn’t need to leave thankfully .. so I waited in the US ., but I could have left after the biometrics were applied and requested it be sent to the consulate in Australia. Don’t leave before you either do the biometrics or are advised that they have used existing bios 

2 hours ago, Lil bear said:

I didn’t need to leave thankfully .. so I waited in the US ., but I could have left after the biometrics were applied and requested it be sent to the consulate in Australia. Don’t leave before you either do the biometrics or are advised that they have used existing bios 

Thank u. another question.. If you applied last august, was it a renewal? If renewal, when is the expiration of your first? And didi you surrender your old permit at what stage? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.