Paula&Carlos

Is K1 visas included on the recent ban?

44 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Onelove1977 said:

All we can do is wait, but it's good to know that K1 visas are excluded from the ban.

Fortunately they started processing the "mission critical immigrant visas".  Hopefully things will progress so they can process K and F1 visas.  Btw they are doing B2 renewals via dropbox.

From their facebook feed on June 17th:

US Embassy Jamaica  · 9:51 We are resuming interviews for spousal visas (IR1 / Cr1). It may take some time for us to get to your case, but we will be rescheduling these interivews starting next week.

US Embassy Jamaica  · 6:39 We are happy to share that we will now be able to begin processing limited B1/B2 renewals via interview waiver. Please continue to check our website to learn more about whether you may be eligible to renew your B1/B2 visitor visa via interview waiver.

US Embassy Jamaica  · 7:29 The Embassy will consider requests to reissue immigrant visas for individuals who were unable to travel before their visa expired due to COVID-19 complications on a case-by-case basis. If this situation applies to you, you will need to contact the Immigrant Visa Unit at KingstonIV@state.gov once routine operations have resumed – we cannot consider requests to reissue under our current operating status. Please understand that we cannot guarantee a visa will be reissued and you would likely need to obtain results from a new medical exam and/or new police certificate. If your immigrant visa is still valid, you should travel before it expires.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
6 hours ago, Onelove1977 said:

I emailed the Embassy in Jamaica for clarification and this was their response:

The Consular Section remains closed for routine services until further notice to help control the spread of COVID-19. 

We do not currently know when the Consular Section will be able to resume providing routine services. 

K-1 visas do not fall under the June 22nd Presidential Proclamation.  Once we are able to resume normal visa operations, we will handle K-1 applications in the order they were received from March onward.  Please know that your visa case is important to us and it will be processed as soon as it is feasible to do so.   We appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

All we can do is wait, but it's good to know that K1 visas are excluded from the ban. 🇯🇲🇯🇲🇯🇲

Thank you sooooo much for this update!! Great news  and confirmation!! Praying we hear something next month 🙏

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 6/23/2020 at 5:39 PM, Lorena y Sean said:

Hey Paula! I spoke to the embassy this morning. K1 visas are not included in the executive order - we are okay. But i called the embassy to confirm and they told me that they are still waiting for permission to resume/process/issue K1 Visas. I don't understand. Do you want to try calling the embassy to see what they tell you? Other embassies are doing visa interviews (paris/australia/kenya/mexico/canada....)

Good news! I just waiting to reopen the embassy in Colombia for my fiancee's reschedule her interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

This is the response I got from Poland. I'm not sure what to say because other embassy are giving different answers. 

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your correspondence.

Pursuant to a Presidential Proclamation issued on June 22, all immigrant and diversity including K visa processing is suspended until December 31, with the exception of spouses and children (unmarried under age 21) of U.S. citizens (IR-1/CR-1 and IR-2/CR-2).

Sincerely,

Correspondence Unit

Consular Section

U.S. Embassy, Warsaw

/dh

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
5 minutes ago, EricLT said:

This is the response I got from Poland. I'm not sure what to say because other embassy are giving different answers. 

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your correspondence.

Pursuant to a Presidential Proclamation issued on June 22, all immigrant and diversity including K visa processing is suspended until December 31, with the exception of spouses and children (unmarried under age 21) of U.S. citizens (IR-1/CR-1 and IR-2/CR-2).

Sincerely,

Correspondence Unit

Consular Section

U.S. Embassy, Warsaw

/dh

This is very worrying because this is the reply I got from the very same embassy when I emailed them about the first EO back in April:

9255D1EE-5259-44A5-9AC2-1AEBB6B5344F.png

Timeline
9 minutes ago, agataa said:

This is very worrying because this is the reply I got from the very same embassy when I emailed them about the first EO back in April:imageproxy.php?img=&key=da9b9b78549feebe

9255D1EE-5259-44A5-9AC2-1AEBB6B5344F.png

I think it's the non immigrant vs immigrant visa debate again and how each person interprets it. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, EricLT said:

I think it's the non immigrant vs immigrant visa debate again and how each person interprets it. 

But surely by now they should have some guidelines? It feels like the answer depends on who’s in the office on a given day and that’s just crazy.
Sorry, I had to blow off some steam because this is really disheartening. I’ll try calling them for clarification.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, agataa said:

But surely by now they should have some guidelines? It feels like the answer depends on who’s in the office on a given day and that’s just crazy.
Sorry, I had to blow off some steam because this is really disheartening. I’ll try calling them for clarification.

I agree. Please share when you find out more information 

Here's my experience, I contacted the London embassy through their form asking specifically whether the K1 visa is included in the EO. The answer I received was a copy and pasting of the updates on their website which does not refer to the K1 visa at any point. They did however in the text highlight the following section:

"Can I apply for a fiancé(e)/K-1 visa? What if my fiancé(e) visa petition expires? 
Routine visa processing is currently suspended.  We are only able to process visas for certain family members, such as spouses and children.  Therefore we are unable to proceed with fiancé(e) visa applications at this time.  

If the fiancé(e) visa petition expires, you may revalidate the petition with a letter from the petitioner stating that you both remain legally free to marry and that you will do so within 90 days of your arrival in the United States. You should take the letter with you to your visa interview in the future, not mail it or email it to the Embassy."

So no real updates here. I think if the K1 were included in the EO they would give me a flat out 'yes'. Right now it sounds like it's been forgotten about. I wouldn't trust anyone on these forums yet claiming to have the answer until we have an official statement from the Government or until routine services return.

Edited by ninetoes

Timeline
22 minutes ago, EricLT said:

I agree. Please share when you find out more information 

I managed to get through and basically they don’t know anything right now. The lady I spoke with said that right now they are only able to process the visas listed on their website and that we have to wait and see, but she also mentioned that k1 visas were not listed as exemptions from the proclamation.

3 hours ago, EricLT said:

2 hours ago, agataa said:

2 hours ago, agataa said:

I managed to get through and basically they don’t know anything right now. The lady I spoke with said that right now they are only able to process the visas listed on their website and that we have to wait and see, but she also mentioned that k1 visas were not listed as exemptions from the proclamation.

The issue is you are dealing low level staff and there is too much confusion and no clarity from the DOS yet (still...).

Whether K-1s are subject to the EO or not is not something that is determined on a case by case basis or vary from consulate to consulate. This is a matter of a fact & law, not discretionary.

The problem is they are not processing those visas due to the suspension of visa services, so they may not even schedule the interviews. And until they are actually regularly interviewing people, there is no way to to confirm what that decision is unless DOS provides guidance (FAM, memo, etc.).

But yes, I've also seen completely opposite answers to the same question by the same consulate. It's because those individuals don't really know. They are not COs and they have not been provided guidance.

Note that this is separate from the 14 day physical presence EO (March 11th EO). Compliance with that EO (even though somebody could travel to another country for 14+ days first) can also be a cause for not conducting interviews by consulates in countries impacted by it.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
12 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The issue is you are dealing low level staff and there is too much confusion and no clarity from the DOS yet (still...).

Whether K-1s are subject to the EO or not is not something that is determined on a case by case basis or vary from consulate to consulate. This is a matter of a fact & law, not discretionary.

The problem is they are not processing those visas due to the suspension of visa services, so they may not even schedule the interviews. And until they are actually regularly interviewing people, there is no way to to confirm what that decision is unless DOS provides guidance (FAM, memo, etc.).

But yes, I've also seen completely opposite answers to the same question by the same consulate. It's because those individuals don't really know. They are not COs and they have not been provided guidance.

Note that this is separate from the 14 day physical presence EO (March 11th EO). Compliance with that EO (even though somebody could travel to another country for 14+ days first) can also be a cause for not conducting interviews by consulates in countries impacted by it.

Of course I do understand that this isn’t something that an embassy can decide for itself which makes the confusion with their answers only worse and I do hope we get some clarification at some point but it’s very disheartening that k1 status is all over the place right now.

It blows my mind that there are no clear guidelines when it comes to this type of visa and that we all just have to wait and see what happens, but I guess we knew going in that immigration process is very long and difficult, it’s just a shame that we get those additional hurdles :( 

But if I may, I wanted to say that answer to this particular problem and others about k1s do help me feel better, so thank you for that :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The department of state, who, as I understand it, call the shots have said K1s are not included in the immigration/worker proclamation, so it is maddening when embassies say they will not issue K1s until after Dec 31st. I really hope  a universal statement is issued soon!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.