Jenerii

Unable to get tax transcripts from IRS

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline

Hi all,

We tried to get my tax transcript from IRS.gov. I filled everything out but it won't send me a text confirming my phone number. I tried countless times with no luck.

So I tried calling IRS like the website said to and you guessed it, there is an answering machine that said they are short staffed due to the COVID pandemic and the only way to get my tax transcript is to get it online.

So we are stuck. How are we supposed to go along with the adjustment of status if we can't even get my tax transcript??

Thanks in advance. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 hours ago, Jenerii said:

Hi all,

We tried to get my tax transcript from IRS.gov. I filled everything out but it won't send me a text confirming my phone number. I tried countless times with no luck.

So I tried calling IRS like the website said to and you guessed it, there is an answering machine that said they are short staffed due to the COVID pandemic and the only way to get my tax transcript is to get it online.

So we are stuck. How are we supposed to go along with the adjustment of status if we can't even get my tax transcript??

Thanks in advance. 

I think you're talking about filing the I-864, correct? If that is the case, then you don't need to use IRS tax transcripts. Transcripts are often easier to send. But if you're having difficulty obtaining them, you will need to send your Federal income tax return (W-2, 1040 and attachments) instead. 

From the USCIS I-864 instructions: 

You must provide either an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) transcript or a photocopy from your own records of your Federal individual income tax return for the most

recent tax year...

If you provide a photocopy of your Federal individual income tax returns, you must include a copy of each and every

Form W-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your returns

and from the I-864 filing checklist, you will provide:

A copy of your individual Federal income tax return, including W-2s for the most recent tax year, or a statement and/or evidence describing why you were not required to file. Also include a copy of each and every Form 1099, Schedule, and any other evidence of reported income. You may submit this information for the most recent three tax years, pay stubs from the most recent six months, and/or a letter from your employer if you believe any of these items will help you qualify. 

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline
7 hours ago, Matrix13 said:

I think you're talking about filing the I-864, correct? If that is the case, then you don't need to use IRS tax transcripts. Transcripts are often easier to send. But if you're having difficulty obtaining them, you will need to send your Federal income tax return (W-2, 1040 and attachments) instead. 

From the USCIS I-864 instructions: 

You must provide either an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) transcript or a photocopy from your own records of your Federal individual income tax return for the most

recent tax year...

If you provide a photocopy of your Federal individual income tax returns, you must include a copy of each and every

Form W-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your returns

and from the I-864 filing checklist, you will provide:

A copy of your individual Federal income tax return, including W-2s for the most recent tax year, or a statement and/or evidence describing why you were not required to file. Also include a copy of each and every Form 1099, Schedule, and any other evidence of reported income. You may submit this information for the most recent three tax years, pay stubs from the most recent six months, and/or a letter from your employer if you believe any of these items will help you qualify. 

Good luck!

Yes, I am talking about the I-864. Thank you for the clarification!

Unfortunately, due to the COVID pandemic, I have been unable to file my taxes. Can I still provide my income tax return from last year? Or will they be expecting my income tax return FROM this year?

Thanks again!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jenerii said:

Yes, I am talking about the I-864. Thank you for the clarification!

Unfortunately, due to the COVID pandemic, I have been unable to file my taxes. Can I still provide my income tax return from last year? Or will they be expecting my income tax return FROM this year?

Thanks again!

The IRS filing deadline for the 2019 tax year is July 15, 2020. You are well within your rights to wait to file. And, therefore, the USCIS can't require you to produce a return for the 2019 tax year. In your situation, 2018 would considered your most recent tax year. That's the only return required. But...

If it works to your advantage, you might want to think about filing your 2019 taxes and including that return in your AOS package. It's your option. And you should also consider including 3 years of tax returns (2016, 2017, 2018 or 2017, 2018, 2019) if you think it makes your application stronger. Your goal is not to merely show that you meet the poverty guideline limits, but to paint the strongest (and honest) picture of your financial situation. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.