2,967 posts in this topic

Hi folks, I filed VAWA November 2018 and haven't officially divorced my partner. My lawyer has been quite unresponsive so I'm confused as to how to proceed. I hope this doesn't negatively affect my case. I just received a notification that my 'card is being produced' last week but I haven't received an approval notice yet. My question is this: does my card being produced mean my case has been approved? Also, when is the best time to file for divorce? I have been reading conflicting articles about both staying in the marriage until you receive your green card and divorcing even before vawa approval. I really don't know which advice to take. Please help! Any advice based on your experience will be very helpful! 

10 minutes ago, Hope!!! said:

Hi folks, I filed VAWA November 2018 and haven't officially divorced my partner. My lawyer has been quite unresponsive so I'm confused as to how to proceed. I hope this doesn't negatively affect my case. I just received a notification that my 'card is being produced' last week but I haven't received an approval notice yet. My question is this: does my card being produced mean my case has been approved? Also, when is the best time to file for divorce? I have been reading conflicting articles about both staying in the marriage until you receive your green card and divorcing even before vawa approval. I really don't know which advice to take. Please help! Any advice based on your experience will be very helpful! 

Congratulations it means you have been approved! You can file for divorce when you want or when you're ready. I went to my interview still married and I have my Greencard now. It's not a problem whatsoever! The officers naturally will expect that you divorce your abuser, but it's not mandatory! Go at your pace..my opinion!👌😊

6 minutes ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

Congratulations it means you have been approved! You can file for divorce when you want or when you're ready. I went to my interview still married and I have my Greencard now. It's not a problem whatsoever! The officers naturally will expect that you divorce your abuser, but it's not mandatory! Go at your pace..my opinion!👌😊

Thank you soo much @Stillwinning!!!😊. This puts my mind at ease a whole lot.

50 minutes ago, Hope!!! said:

"Card being produced" on I-360 means you were approved.

There's no requirement when to divorce on VAWA. Only two requirements are:

1. You filed while married or within 2 years of divorce

2. You do not remarry until at very least I-360 is approved.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

4 hours ago, Hope!!! said:

Yes your vawa has been approved and you will receive c31 ead based on approved vawa. Congratulations 

Filed: Other Timeline
6 hours ago, Hope!!! said:

If its c31, it is an approval. 

Congratulations 

I'm a December 2018 filer

Waiting 😁🙏

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello Friends, 

Forget my EAD is going to expire on Nov 4th, lawyer said i can file on my own but i need to consult here first before i take any step,  please help me how with the renewal procedure. 

i1360 filed August 2018 

1st EAD Oct 2018 To Nov 2019 

2nd EAD Nov 2019 To Nov 2020

i360 RFE replied May 2020 they started working on it but no update yet.

11 minutes ago, AJJU said:

Hello Friends, 

Forget my EAD is going to expire on Nov 4th, lawyer said i can file on my own but i need to consult here first before i take any step,  please help me how with the renewal procedure. 

i1360 filed August 2018 

Hi dear😊..remember you are allowed to file up to 180days prior to expiration..not sure about more than the specified time. So basically....

Fee payment, unless required or waived...C9 usually requires no fee if there is a pending i485. C31 requires payment.
  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.
  • A copy your i485 NOA.
  • A copy of your last EAD (front and back), if available.
  • 2 identical photographs

On 8/22/2020 at 9:56 PM, balo101 said:

yes i will surely find out.

It also says it open 24 hours on Saturday. i went there by 9 pm, they were closed. So i was not sure if that info is accurate. I will definitely give a try tomorrow.  

Hey you😀 how did it go? Blessings dear. Wishing you heaven's best!

26 minutes ago, AJJU said:

Hello Friends, 

i1360 filed August 2018 

I assume it's a C9 EAD. Just fill out I-765 for a renewal, category (c)(9)( ), attach a copy front and back of the current EAD and a copy of the I-485 receipt notice. If you want travel authorization also fill out and attach I-131 asking for multiple entry advance parole.

There is no filing fee for either I-765 or I-131 in this case.

Also, you and I have a very similar timeline for the I-360. I filed it August 21, 2018, got an RFE on February 27, 2020, and responded to it May 21, 2020. Still waiting.

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.