2,967 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, waqasah said:

Hey, 

I have a question. What's the impact of divorce on my VAWA. My spouse wants to send the divorce papers. Should I give my personal address? She might cause any trouble to me. So what should I do?

In regards to the VAWA itself, there is no actual impact. You can divorce after filing or file within 2 years of divorce without adversely affecting the application.

If you're worried about your safety then this is really something you should get a divorce lawyer for. I'd imagine there exists some procedures for hiding your address from a spouse.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, waqasah said:

Hey, 

I have a question. What's the impact of divorce on my VAWA. My spouse wants to send the divorce papers. Should I give my personal address? She might cause any trouble to me. So what should I do?

The divorce will not  impact your VAWA case. If you don't fear for your life  you can give her the address.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 hours ago, MarSam701 said:

Good afternoon everyone., I was just asked a question from a  friend of mine., she would like to find out if she can ask emmauscis questions regarding her VAWA., I didn't have an answer because I have never done so....can someone inform me please...Thanks 

She can't ask USCIS, over the phone, any question regarding her VAWA/AOS petition.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
32 minutes ago, sandranj said:

She can't ask USCIS, over the phone, any question regarding her VAWA/AOS petition.

Thanks @sandraj

Morning fam, please i have a question on I-485.

Our I-485 (mine and my daughter's) was initially erroneously denied when we requested for a change in interview dates back in 2019. I never received the letter, but saw it online. The lawyer I was using back then for the I-130 adviced to just ignore that they will rectify on their own when they realize their mistake. 

About 2 months later, they surely realized their error, and re-opened my I-485 but not that of my daughter. Weeks later they sent an interview for the I-130 for both myself and daughter (even though her I-485 is still reading denied online)

We went in for the interview and requested for the I-485 to be left opened in abeyance based on I-360. (There was a little drama on this...i explained in previous threads). It was surely left opened. However my daughter's is still reading denied and not re-opened. 

What can I do to have this re-opened? Can it be re-opened or should I just file another I-485 for her? If I do file another I-485 can she still get ead based on co9 whilst we are waiting for i-360 adjudication? Note I really need an EAD for her cos she got selected for internship at a very good company. Your help in this is highly appreciated 🙏 

45 minutes ago, Makanaki said:

Morning fam, please i have a question on I-485.

Our I-485 (mine and my daughter's) was initially erroneously denied when we requested for a change in interview dates back in 2019. I never received the letter, but saw it online. The lawyer I was using back then for the I-130 adviced to just ignore that they will rectify on their own when they realize their mistake. 

About 2 months later, they surely realized their error, and re-opened my I-485 but not that of my daughter. Weeks later they sent an interview for the I-130 for both myself and daughter (even though her I-485 is still reading denied online)

We went in for the interview and requested for the I-485 to be left opened in abeyance based on I-360. (There was a little drama on this...i explained in previous threads). It was surely left opened. However my daughter's is still reading denied and not re-opened. 

What can I do to have this re-opened? Can it be re-opened or should I just file another I-485 for her? If I do file another I-485 can she still get ead based on co9 whilst we are waiting for i-360 adjudication? Note I really need an EAD for her cos she got selected for internship at a very good company. Your help in this is highly appreciated 🙏 

online notification sometime is not accurate, Since they send you an interview for Both You and your daughter meaning both cases are process together internally. Eventually they will change or update once

I-360 is approved and move along. 

Edited by FeDaniela

8 minutes ago, FeDaniela said:

online notification sometime is not accurate, Since they send you an interview for Both You and your daughter meaning both cases are process together internally. Eventually they will change or update once

I-360 is approved and move along. 

Thanks for the response. The irony is my EAD renewal is approved but not hers. Its not denied denied either.  Basically they just kept mum about it

Hello Everyone, 

Hope you're all doing well and staying safe. I've been reading this thread and earlier threads, and I've learned so much. I hope you all hear good news very soon.

I'm working on preparing my application, and I've been seeing a therapist for a month now. I was wondering if you could guide me with a few questions I have. I'm sorry if these questions have been asked. I'm still reading through VAWA Part 4, and I have a long way to finish reading all threads. 

1. Where would I file I-485 and I-765, if I file them concurrently with I-360? I'm assuming the VSC, is that correct? 
  2. Is it better to file I-485 or wait until you have an interview and ask for abeyance? I filed for AOS last September, but I guess it might take a long time before I can get an interview date, and my spouse has been threatening me with divorce, ruining my career, and sending me back to my country. 
  3. If, next month, I file to renew my EAD (which is based on my I-485 and I-130), and then later I file VAWA (after sending my EAD renewals document), will my new I-485 affect my EAD or VAWA renewal or vice versa? 

Edited by CrashBandicoot

13 hours ago, waqasah said:

Hey, 

Apply for a confidential address. Google it you’ll find the information. That’s what I did. 

54 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot said:

Hello Everyone, 

Hope you're all doing well and staying safe. I've been reading this thread and earlier threads, and I've learned so much. I hope you all hear good news very soon.

I'm working on preparing my application, and I've been seeing a therapist for a month now. I was wondering if you could guide me with a few questions I have. I'm sorry if these questions have been asked. I'm still reading through VAWA Part 4, and I have a long way to finish reading all threads. 

1. Where would I file I-485 and I-765, if I file them concurrently with I-360? I'm assuming the VSC, is that correct?  Yes to Vermont
  2. Is it better to file I-485 or wait until you have an interview and ask for abeyance? I filed for AOS last September, but I guess it might take a long time before I can get an interview date, and my spouse has been threatening me with divorce, ruining my career, and sending me back to my country.    You do not have to wait for interview. Once you get your Vawa receipt and you have pending i-485 then just write to your field office(if i am not mistaken).
  3. If, next month, I file to renew my EAD (which is based on my I-485 and I-130), and then later I file VAWA (after sending my EAD renewals document), will my new I-485 affect my EAD or VAWA renewal or vice versa?  No it will not effect

Let other confirm. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.