Soo Lee

Civil Documents

6 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I am a U.S. Citizen petitioner for my wife (South Korea) for her Immigrant visa (Marriage CR1). We are now in the NVC stage. I apologize if this forum is the wrong place to ask this question but I have a quick question about the civil documents that needs to be uploaded once the time comes: Do the the translated documents have to be notarized and/or apostilled? Thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Soo Lee said:

Hello, 

I am a U.S. Citizen petitioner for my wife (South Korea) for her Immigrant visa (Marriage CR1). We are now in the NVC stage. I apologize if this forum is the wrong place to ask this question but I have a quick question about the civil documents that needs to be uploaded once the time comes: Do the the translated documents have to be notarized and/or apostilled? Thank you.

Per USCIS, the person translating the document must certify that the translation is complete and accurate and that he/she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English."

All translations must include a statement similar to the following:

Certification by Translator:

I      name of translator   , certify that I am fluent in the English and                     
languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the
document attached entitled                       .

Signature                                                        
Date                                          Typed Name
                                                  Address

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

At the nvc civil documents

"Please note that all documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country from which you are applying, must be accompanied by certified translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that:

• The translation is accurate, and
  • The translator is competent to translate."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Soo Lee said:

Hello, 

No they do not need to notarised  or apostilled. As already stated , the translator must make the declaration of competency on each document. 

Just to make it clear: notary and/or apostille have nothing to do with translations, lets start there.

Begin with search what kind of docs adjudicating post requires. If it says they want only "original" docs then forget notary. If they want "foreign issued originals" to be additionally "apostilled", then you have to do that in this order.

Once you have above docs properly gathered, then apply translation if required (again search what your embassy exactly wants). To make it absolutely clear: You can NOT apply translation to a (original) document and then have it apostilled. While it could fly in some places, by definition it is incorrect.

By the way: I have noticed that there is some misleading information throughout DOS official pages regarding NVC processing and such. In some places it states in general terms that non-english docs should be translated while if you dig deeper (i.e. towards embassy requirements) you might find out that anything that is not in english OR native language of the coutry where your embassy is, must be translated to english. Please do a search accordingly so you don't make unnecessary translations. Requirements throughout embassy posts do vary and are only reference point.

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.