11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi, 
 I entered to US with k1 visa on beginning of march and i waited for 2 weeks to apply for SSN but all office were closed due to global pandemic and i havn't applied yet for SSN. I called like every week the social security office and they said i can't apply for SSN through mail or online so they asked me to wait until they open, I just called this week and lady told me when your visa fiance will expired i said last month so it's already been expired and she said we can't accept your application. First it's not my fault they don't being open and couldn't do application by other way than going in person. Then i m confused about what expiration of visa fiance means because on visa stamp on passport isn't yet expired but according to my I-94 I 'm already over 90 days. But on my passport visa gonna expire next month. Really i need SSN, i can't get on my wife health insurance and can't apply fora lot off stuffs i can't do nothing without it. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Jad19888 said:

Hi, 
 I entered to US with k1 visa on beginning of march and i waited for 2 weeks to apply for SSN but all office were closed due to global pandemic and i havn't applied yet for SSN. I called like every week the social security office and they said i can't apply for SSN through mail or online so they asked me to wait until they open, I just called this week and lady told me when your visa fiance will expired i said last month so it's already been expired and she said we can't accept your application. First it's not my fault they don't being open and couldn't do application by other way than going in person. Then i m confused about what expiration of visa fiance means because on visa stamp on passport isn't yet expired but according to my I-94 I 'm already over 90 days. But on my passport visa gonna expire next month. Really i need SSN, i can't get on my wife health insurance and can't apply fora lot off stuffs i can't do nothing without it. 

Not there fault either

Have you submitted AOS?

For medical just give them a placeholder ssn

YMMV

Timeline
17 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Not there fault either

Have you submitted AOS?

For medical just give them a placeholder ssn

Yes i already applied for AOS before 90 days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jad19888 said:

Yes i already applied for AOS before 90 days

Please fill in your timeline.

Your K-1 visa was voided the second you entered the US.  After entry, the I-94 date became relevant.  Now that the I-94 has expired, you will have to wait until you receive a valid EAD or Green card to apply for a SSN.......good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Please fill in your timeline.

Your K-1 visa was voided the second you entered the US.  After entry, the I-94 date became relevant.  Now that the I-94 has expired, you will have to wait until you receive a valid EAD or Green card to apply for a SSN.......good luck.

Yes thanks, have question please what is the immigrant status after k1 expire and you apply for adjustment of status? 

Filed: Timeline

You have no official legal status, you are simply considered in a period of authorized stay. That basically means you are allowed to be here while your AOS package is processed. Once you have your EAD you will be able to get your SS card. That is because SSA considers EAD holder to be a valid status to get a SSN. So until you have the EAD you wont be able to get the SSN.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

You have no official legal status, you are simply considered in a period of authorized stay. That basically means you are allowed to be here while your AOS package is processed. Once you have your EAD you will be able to get your SS card. That is because SSA considers EAD holder to be a valid status to get a SSN. So until you have the EAD you wont be able to get the SSN.

Thanks.So even social security office wasn't open because of global pandemic so if they were open i could get my social security number with my k1 valid visa, I need to apply for nursing license and the board here will not treat my application until i have SSN so i m gonna lose another 3 or 4 months until i get my EAD.

Filed: Timeline

Sorry to hear that. You are just going to have to wait. You can try to expedite your EAD since you are in the health care field, you can also request expedite for financial hardship reasons, or both. Expedites are free. You can search VJ for how to do an expedite or get assistance from your congressperson with it. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

Sorry to hear that. You are just going to have to wait. You can try to expedite your EAD since you are in the health care field, you can also request expedite for financial hardship reasons, or both. Expedites are free. You can search VJ for how to do an expedite or get assistance from your congressperson with it. 

Yeah, I will try to do that thanks a lot for the informations. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would double

On 6/8/2020 at 7:25 PM, Jad19888 said:

Thanks.So even social security office wasn't open because of global pandemic so if they were open i could get my social security number with my k1 valid visa, I need to apply for nursing license and the board here will not treat my application until i have SSN so i m gonna lose another 3 or 4 months until i get my EAD.

I was delayed in getting my SSN when I arrived and was able to use my A-Number as a placeholder for a SSN for both health insurance and the marriage license. I am not sure about the nursing license, but perhaps you can ask if that's possible? The employees I spoke to in both cases didn't know that was possible until they went to their higher ups/managers and checked.

Timeline
18 hours ago, Buster & Hitch said:

I would double

I was delayed in getting my SSN when I arrived and was able to use my A-Number as a placeholder for a SSN for both health insurance and the marriage license. I am not sure about the nursing license, but perhaps you can ask if that's possible? The employees I spoke to in both cases didn't know that was possible until they went to their higher ups/managers and checked.

Oh i will contact them about that, thanks 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.