remotercharm

UK US embassy post about fiance visa question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

The following was posted recently on the us embassy UK site and I notice they answer the question about the fiance visa referring to the presidential proclamation as if it falls into the category of immigrant visas:

https://uk.usembassy.gov/information-for-nonimmigrant-visa-applicants-following-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak/

Will my immigrant or fiancé(e) visa case expire?/Can I continue with the application process?

If your application is being processed by the Embassy in London, applicants are given 12 months from the date on which the Embassy’s Immigrant Visa Unit writes to them with instructions about the status of their case in which to apply for the visa.

If the case is being processed by NVC and you have questions after checking the information at travel.state.gov and the CEAC account (if applicable), please contact NVC directly using the contact information on that webpage, which includes an online contact form.

If you have been advised that your case file has been forwarded to the Embassy in London, you may refer to our website for an overview of the application procedure, and begin compiling the necessary supporting documents. You may book a medical appointment and proceed with the application process after normal operations have resumed. Please monitor our website for updates.

Under Presidential Proclamation 10014 signed on April 22, the Department of State will not issue immigrant visas, with certain exceptions, for a period of 60 days. Exceptions include lawful permanent residents; immigrants seeking to enter as a healthcare professional; spouses, children, and prospective adoptive children of U.S. citizens; and certain Special Immigrant Visa applicants. Please review the proclamation at Whitehouse.gov for detailed information. If normal operations resume while Presidential Proclamation 10014 remains in effect, it will not be possible for a visa appointment to be scheduled unless you are applying for a category of visa that is excepted under Presidential Proclamation 10014.

4 hours ago, remotercharm said:

The following was posted recently on the us embassy UK site and I notice they answer the question about the fiance visa referring to the presidential proclamation as if it falls into the category of immigrant visas:

https://uk.usembassy.gov/information-for-nonimmigrant-visa-applicants-following-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak/

Will my immigrant or fiancé(e) visa case expire?/Can I continue with the application process?

If your application is being processed by the Embassy in London, applicants are given 12 months from the date on which the Embassy’s Immigrant Visa Unit writes to them with instructions about the status of their case in which to apply for the visa.

If the case is being processed by NVC and you have questions after checking the information at travel.state.gov and the CEAC account (if applicable), please contact NVC directly using the contact information on that webpage, which includes an online contact form.

If you have been advised that your case file has been forwarded to the Embassy in London, you may refer to our website for an overview of the application procedure, and begin compiling the necessary supporting documents. You may book a medical appointment and proceed with the application process after normal operations have resumed. Please monitor our website for updates.

Under Presidential Proclamation 10014 signed on April 22, the Department of State will not issue immigrant visas, with certain exceptions, for a period of 60 days. Exceptions include lawful permanent residents; immigrants seeking to enter as a healthcare professional; spouses, children, and prospective adoptive children of U.S. citizens; and certain Special Immigrant Visa applicants. Please review the proclamation at Whitehouse.gov for detailed information. If normal operations resume while Presidential Proclamation 10014 remains in effect, it will not be possible for a visa appointment to be scheduled unless you are applying for a category of visa that is excepted under Presidential Proclamation 10014.

I saw that too, however it doesn't explicitly state that fiancée visas are affected, and the general consensus appears to be that because K1s are *technically* non-immigrant visas they are out of scope of the EO

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
8 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

A K1 visa is not an immigrant visa. They are just processed by the immigrant visa unit. 

Thank you for your opinion.  The point was that they addressed it under that specific question which I thought was interesting.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
31 minutes ago, remotercharm said:

Thank you for your opinion.  The point was that they addressed it under that specific question which I thought was interesting.

I see it as the question is addressing whether the Immigrant Visa Unit will still process cases that are delayed and they say yes, you have a year. I don’t think the Presidential proclamation paragraph that follows is speaking to fiancés. The ban on entry if you have been in the UK fourteen days before entry still applies to fiancés. 

6 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

I see it as the question is addressing whether the Immigrant Visa Unit will still process cases that are delayed and they say yes, you have a year. I don’t think the Presidential proclamation paragraph that follows is speaking to fiancés. The ban on entry if you have been in the UK fourteen days before entry still applies to fiancés. 

This was my interpretation too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.