Cody&Razely

Conjecture on PH to Lift Ban on Foreign Nationals

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just wanted to start a thread to collate conjecture on the foreign national travel ban as the months pass, any opinions welcome, especially from those with any boots on the ground or other sources of information or as I said even just conjecture alone. I am clueless on the subject as I think most are currently due to the utter lack of communication coming out of the Philippines.

More specifically pertaining to those who do not have spouses, children, etc... there; and therefore currently no legal way to enter.

Anyone have any input?

Timeline

This is the only recent information I have found.

Posted at Jun 03 2020 07:26 PM

MANILA - Japan's trade promotion agency appealed Wednesday for Philippine authorities to lift restrictions on the entry of foreign nationals after it eased lockdown measures earlier this month, allowing employees of Japanese companies to return.

Takashi Ishihara, executive director of the Japan External Trade Organization in Manila, made the comments as many Japanese businesses have restarted operations in the country, which just emerged from one of the world's strictest and longest quarantines of the pandemic this week.

"Since many of the Japanese companies in the Philippines need to have their Japanese staffs return to the Philippines, we hope that the government will let foreign business people return to the country as soon as possible," Ishihara told Kyodo News.

A day earlier, Philippine presidential spokesman Harry Roque said the government has no timeline yet on when the ban on the entry of foreigners into the country will be lifted.

"You know, we are already very busy with handling issues with returning (overseas Filipino workers) because we are giving everyone (antibody) tests. So, we will have a bigger problem if we will allow foreigners to enter at this time," he said during one of the daily press conferences at the presidential palace.

Ishihara said many Japanese businesses in the country are struggling hard to recover amid a new normal caused by adjustments to their operations to prevent the spread of the disease.

He said 85 percent of Japanese businesses in the country expect the pandemic to hurt their operations, citing a survey last March they conducted with the Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Philippines.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This doesn't address the ban specifically, but what Roque said about being too busy handling the returning OFWs shouldn't be an issue anymore. I read in a comment thread in NAIA's facebook page that arriving non-OFWs can opt to have their own private COVID swab test done upon arrival, at own expense - there was a girl who had it done with Makati Med. I tried looking for official announcement about it but couldn't find any yet. I agree about the our state of government communications here.

Philippines still has most of it population under some type of quarantine, and house of arrest of any one under 21 or over age 60 in many large cities.  They are still imposing quarantine on citizens traveling from one city to another city inside the Philippines.

People who live in Manila still as of today, can't even go home if they got caught outside Manila when all this lockdown stuff went down.

It seems to be chaos in Philippines just dealing with their own people, They can't even get a handle on that.  I don't see them getting a handle on foreigner entering the country anytime soon.

Timeline

My Fiance lives in WV and although her Mayor and Governor (Specific to her area) seem to be appalled by any and every relaxing of any kind of restriction (from complete ECQ) and try to do what ever they can each time to subvert it and only seemingly, they begrudgingly fall in line when they are forced to. Regardless, she is allowed to travel between cities and provinces and even other islands although only for "Essential activities" with evidence of such need (in the case of travel between provinces and/or islands) and must obtain a very exacting entry and exit summary pass, go through screening, and wait generally 4-5 hours through the process each time. However travel between brgy, towns and cities is largely unrestricted and requires no documentation at all, though transportation is an issue vs what it was before all this. 

I have read that although The PH Official stance is that Foreign nationals with Spouses and/or dependents and alternatively any ofw's, etc... are now allowed to enter the Philippines from abroad, that no travel is allowed from Metro Manila to else where and also, no travel is allowed from Luzon to other parts of the Philippines essentially making it a non-starter for most to even fly into the Philippines, unless their final Destination is Manila. Additionally, I have heard stories of those who do meet the entry criteria not being allowed to fly there or enter if they do fly there regardless of the "Official Stance" on international entry. 

My hope is that they can get it open to Foreign national entry by at least July/Aug some time, even with strict regulations and protocols, for those willing to brave them (In my case I am lol) and it seems some days it might be heading that direction and then in other days not so much. 

I mentioned before I get all of the travel alerts from every country in the world.  Just to show a quick comparison for some of the region on foreigners entering the country:

China - still closed to foreigners but doing a trial on some business travelers.  Very very limited though.

Thailand - closed to foreigners.

Macau - closed to foreigners even though they have 0 active cases in the country.

Vietnam - will open to 80 nationalities on July 1st.  They have control of their COVID situation.

Cambodia - partially lifted restrictions to some nationalities but entry requirement is $50,000 in medical insurance plus COVID test within 72 hours of entering.  More than likely though no insurance policies will cover for COVID

Laos - still closed to foreigners except for a few classes - diplomats, medical, etc.  Quite a few countries have this exception. 

Indonesia - foreigners banned although domestically some things are loosening up.

That gives a brief idea on the region.  I could check Malaysia later.  I know Singapore is open with restrictions.  Philippines could be awhile unfortunately.  This is a country that has said no schools to open until there is a vaccine.  Well, it could be years for that and is unnecessary.  As mentioned above, under 21 and over 60 cannot even leave the house, despite the younger age group having extremely few complications with this virus.  My assumption is eventually the economic situation will force the government to make changes whether they want to or not.  I have heard dates of maybe October for the Philippines to open up, but I would hope its much more sooner.  I left Manila in January with the idea to be back in March.  For the Philippines to not allow K1s to leave now is ridiculous though.  The restrictions shouldnt be so much leaving your country but what are the restrictions on the country they plan to enter and there is none for Filipinos to enter the US. 

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Timeline

I personally think economic pressures are going to force the governemnt to ease restrictions, whether they admit to that reason or not. Commercial businesses such as those of Japan, noted in the second post of this thread, are ready to resume operations. PH gets a large ecopnomic boost from foreign business there, couple with international tourists, it makes up a fair amount of theif GDP.

PH should require a certificate of health from the incoming businessperson/tourist, do a quick antibody swab and let people get on their business/lives. At least then, the government could say they had some safety measures in place. 

31 minutes ago, jameyj said:

I personally think economic pressures are going to force the governemnt to ease restrictions, whether they admit to that reason or not. Commercial businesses such as those of Japan, noted in the second post of this thread, are ready to resume operations. PH gets a large ecopnomic boost from foreign business there, couple with international tourists, it makes up a fair amount of theif GDP.

PH should require a certificate of health from the incoming businessperson/tourist, do a quick antibody swab and let people get on their business/lives. At least then, the government could say they had some safety measures in place. 

Great Post and good points.

My brother whom has been living in Philippines long term,  is an American,  so he gives me the American side of the story in the Philippines.  He says they are figuring out the COVID isn't nowhere as bad as it was predicted to be,  and has been overblown by media and the government.  He says the politicians are raking in the money at the moment due to the lockdown there.  Philippines political corruption at it's finest

There is suppose to be some type of easing down quarantines and restriction on June 15th and June 30st.   

Timeline
57 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

Great Post and good points.

My brother whom has been living in Philippines long term,  is an American,  so he gives me the American side of the story in the Philippines.  He says they are figuring out the COVID isn't nowhere as bad as it was predicted to be,  and has been overblown by media and the government.  He says the politicians are raking in the money at the moment due to the lockdown there.  Philippines political corruption at it's finest

There is suppose to be some type of easing down quarantines and restriction on June 15th and June 30st.   

I hope the Foreigner ban is lifter much sooner than Oct.. Yeah, if nothing else plays a significant enough role, I hope the economy does it's part in forcing something to break loose and in regards to stupid-19, my thoughts have been the same since the beginning; that yes, it's blown WAY!!!! out of proportion not just in PH but everywhere in the world thanks in large part, as you mentioned, to the Governments and the Media outlets. I also had a thought about the politicians racking in the dough as well, from the lowest levels on up (in PH specifically) yeah corruption is rife there, it seems to be the status quo lol, sadly

Timeline

So, June 15th (PH Date) has come and gone, still no word as far as an update from the president there. hmmmmm, interesting that the leader of a country CanNot keep his own set sched. to communicate with his own countrymen on time, yet is the leader of a nation..... lol 

Alright, put him in detention, he's truant lol

20 minutes ago, Cody&Razely said:

So, June 15th (PH Date) has come and gone, still no word as far as an update from the president there. hmmmmm, interesting that the leader of a country CanNot keep his own set sched. to communicate with his own countrymen on time, yet is the leader of a nation..... lol 

Alright, put him in detention, he's truant lol

Yep, No word from him from what I can find.

I think he is lost and just doesn't know what to do.  Metro Manila has 60% of active cases, and you have the economy of Philippines slowly circling the toilet bowl doing a slow death.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Allovertheworld said:

Yep, No word from him from what I can find.

I think he is lost and just doesn't know what to do.  Metro Manila has 60% of active cases, and you have the economy of Philippines slowly circling the toilet bowl doing a slow death.

Really?  Just watched a replay on YouTube 

Manila remains the same, cebu city goes backwards,  everything else MGCQ 

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/06/15/2021144/duterte-approves-gcq-extension-until-june-30?utm_campaign=GCQ in Metro Manila stays Cebu City under ECQ&utm_content=&utm_medium=push_notifications&utm_source=izooto&utm_term=

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
17 minutes ago, payxibka said:

yep! really really. Since this was posted online minutes ago, well after my post. But thanks anyways :thumbs:

Edited by Cody&Razely

3 hours ago, payxibka said:

Yep, really

I see he finally said something about it after midnight Philippines time about quarantine

Davao City extends CGQ until June 30th

https://www.rappler.com/nation/263415-duterte-gcq-extension-metro-manila-until-june-30

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.