homesick_american

I need a new name

80 posts in this topic

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could always pick names from literature...

BTW what was wrong with Alastair Cooke? He was a nice man from what I knew of him.

I thought he was a pompous #######. He still didn't deserve to have his bones replaced with plastic tubing, though. That wasn't very nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastair_Cook...t_of_body_parts

I guess I have trouble with the idea that what a person does for a living is a reflection on their personality. I've noticed that plenty of writers have that problem - and are subjected to savage personal attacks purely on the basis of stuff they've written. Seems a little unjust IMO.

I don't care that he was a writer. It's WHAT he wrote and WHAT he said that I objected to. The guy was a blowhard.

you could always go with

married to a homesick_Brit

Dunno if he's homesick or not, we're not there yet. :devil:

Let hope not!! :whistle:

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Happy_American would be good, I reckon. You'd still be H_A then; which was entirely my reason for choosing it.

But I'm already happy. :blush: Especially since I'm test-driving 2 mg of Ativan as directed by my GP. She was all 'try out 2 so if that zonks you out then you don't have to take four and encounter breathing difficulties' or something medical like that.

This is like being drunk.

How about

HRW_2_DFW

ducks flying tomatoes :lol:

wouldn't that be HRW_2_IAH? :P

congratulations on the move and welcome home (in advance)!

OH I thought she was going to Dallas,but if it's Houston, you betcha It's Bush!

Houston, blech. We're going to Big D, so DFW. What is HRW? I thought Heathrow was LHR.

:blush: oops! I remember you didn't like Houston, but ...oh well. Happy traveling to Dallas!

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Timeline

It's normal to be a bit homesick, but I think that after he settles into life in the USA and sees it can be great...much greater than life over here...he'll be OK. He does WANT to do this; I am not forcing him to do it. He's nervous and stressed at the moment, but so am I. I'm moving back to a country that I left in April 2001 and that I have visited...briefly...only twice since then...and I haven't set foot in Texas since March 2005.

I've been a grownup longer here in the UK than I was in the US and I know how to do grownup things here in the UK but not in the US. I haven't driven a car in two years and I'll have to do all the driving at first in Dallas since my husband is nervous enough behind the wheel in the UK. I'm not ready to throw him to the wolves in Dallas just yet. We'll start him off nice and slow.

There are things he's looking forward to, like big nice backyards for growing fruit and veg...parks for cycling and walking...a lot more outdoor life than in the UK, where the weather is often too cold, wet, or both to play outside. He'll miss his family, but to be frank he'll see his mum about as much as he sees her now which isn't very often. She visits maybe 2-3 times a year and says for a week, so if she visits once a year for a fortnight or twice a year for a week then he'll see her just as much. She's on a pension and can't afford the plane tickets, but we can and have made it crystal clear to her that she does not have to worry about her travel expenses....WE will handle those. This seems to have reassured her a bit. She's been to Texas, too, and liked it. She likes my parents. She'll be fine. I don't care much for her and wouldn't mind if she never visited, but she's my husband's mum so she's part of the deal. She'll visit; she'll be OK. She's not elderly or infirm so the trip won't be too difficult for her. We'll even get her an iPod and fill it with Elvis and Cliff Richards songs so she'll be entertained on the plane. :lol:

He wants a fresh start and he wants out of his comfort zone. He has some anxiety issues and both he and his GP feel that taking him out of his comfort zone and forcing him to confront some of those anxieties will be good for him. Once he's in America he won't be able to run home to mama so easily, and she enables him anyway. My parents, OTOH, love my husband very much but would not put up with that sort of behavior from him. They wouldn't put up with it from my me or my brother either. They helped us through our issues without enabling us but always pushing us to be independent and self-reliant. His mother hasn't done that for him and it sometimes causes problems. Life in America will force him to finish growing up, and he's looking forward to that. Sure, he's nervous...but being nervous about a move like this is NATURAL.

I'm confident that he will make the adjustment and that he'll be fine. I've been with him for 10 years and married to him for 6 of those 10 years, so I think I know him pretty well. :thumbs:

:blush: oops! I remember you didn't like Houston, but ...oh well. Happy traveling to Dallas!

Houston's not my favorite place but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I don't like it. I usually enjoy it when I visit it but I wouldn't really want to live there.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Ok, this maybe corny, but since you are into photography, you could go with shutterbug :blush:

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

whatever name you choose,

Congradulations on the homecoming !

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

My random suggestion is "Happy_to_be_Home" or "Happy2bhome" for the "TxT spk" generation ;-)

Married to my USC Spouse in the UK 08/17/2006

Entered the US with my CR1 on 09/25/2007

Mailed I-751 application on 07/14/2009 to CSC

I-751 package arrived at CSC on 07/16/2009

Check cashed on 07/20/2009

NOA1 Dated 07/16/2009

Biometrics Appointment 08/21/2009

Touched 08/24/2009

APPROVED 09/14/2009

Card Production Ordered 09/22/2009

Card arrived in the mail 09/28/2009

US Citizen as of 10/20/2010!

*IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN WORKING IN SECURITY/LAW ENFORCEMENT/MILITARY IN THE USA, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME FOR INFO*

howzabout "thnxgvg_sqr" (vowel-less version of "Thanksgivng Square", a place in Dallas)?

Well I feel silly - I had never even heard of that, and I LIVE in Dallas. Looked it up. I'm educated now.

:star: how about Lone star lady?

My favorite so far, but I cuss too much to be a lady. :blush:

Oooh I like that one though - how about Lone Star Lass

Our Visa Journey

2/13 - I-129F sent to TSC

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/5 - POE @ Dallas/Ft. Worth

8/11 - Wedding!!

10/15 - received Greencard

Got 10-year Greencard

howzabout "thnxgvg_sqr" (vowel-less version of "Thanksgivng Square", a place in Dallas)?

Well I feel silly - I had never even heard of that, and I LIVE in Dallas. Looked it up. I'm educated now.

I lived in Vickery Meadow area of Dallas for all of six months in 1997, and paid visits to Thanksgiving Square fairly frequently (I worked downtown) and Dealey Plaza once.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

It's normal to be a bit homesick, but I think that after he settles into life in the USA and sees it can be great...much greater than life over here...he'll be OK. He does WANT to do this; I am not forcing him to do it. He's nervous and stressed at the moment, but so am I. I'm moving back to a country that I left in April 2001 and that I have visited...briefly...only twice since then...and I haven't set foot in Texas since March 2005.

I've been a grownup longer here in the UK than I was in the US and I know how to do grownup things here in the UK but not in the US. I haven't driven a car in two years and I'll have to do all the driving at first in Dallas since my husband is nervous enough behind the wheel in the UK. I'm not ready to throw him to the wolves in Dallas just yet. We'll start him off nice and slow.

There are things he's looking forward to, like big nice backyards for growing fruit and veg...parks for cycling and walking...a lot more outdoor life than in the UK, where the weather is often too cold, wet, or both to play outside. He'll miss his family, but to be frank he'll see his mum about as much as he sees her now which isn't very often. She visits maybe 2-3 times a year and says for a week, so if she visits once a year for a fortnight or twice a year for a week then he'll see her just as much. She's on a pension and can't afford the plane tickets, but we can and have made it crystal clear to her that she does not have to worry about her travel expenses....WE will handle those. This seems to have reassured her a bit. She's been to Texas, too, and liked it. She likes my parents. She'll be fine. I don't care much for her and wouldn't mind if she never visited, but she's my husband's mum so she's part of the deal. She'll visit; she'll be OK. She's not elderly or infirm so the trip won't be too difficult for her. We'll even get her an iPod and fill it with Elvis and Cliff Richards songs so she'll be entertained on the plane. :lol:

He wants a fresh start and he wants out of his comfort zone. He has some anxiety issues and both he and his GP feel that taking him out of his comfort zone and forcing him to confront some of those anxieties will be good for him. Once he's in America he won't be able to run home to mama so easily, and she enables him anyway. My parents, OTOH, love my husband very much but would not put up with that sort of behavior from him. They wouldn't put up with it from my me or my brother either. They helped us through our issues without enabling us but always pushing us to be independent and self-reliant. His mother hasn't done that for him and it sometimes causes problems. Life in America will force him to finish growing up, and he's looking forward to that. Sure, he's nervous...but being nervous about a move like this is NATURAL.

I'm confident that he will make the adjustment and that he'll be fine. I've been with him for 10 years and married to him for 6 of those 10 years, so I think I know him pretty well. :thumbs:

Houston's not my favorite place but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I don't like it. I usually enjoy it when I visit it but I wouldn't really want to live there.

I am sure he will be fine, I settled in very well when I first came over, I have not been homesick at all really. Of course I miss my family but I didnt live in their pockets when I lived in the UK. I think for me it was having to deal with a sick husband and be the breadwinner all in a strange country that makes me want to go home sometimes.

In reality I know that I am priced out of the housing market now in the UK as well as the US and I would have to start from scratch again over there which would not be easy.

I agree that all things considered life is probably better here than in the UK its just tough starting out in a new country....no credit etc

I wish you both luck though.....I assume you will be staying with family when you first arrive, which will be nice then sort out things gradually.

DCF - London

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: Timeline
I wish you both luck though.....I assume you will be staying with family when you first arrive, which will be nice then sort out things gradually.

Only because we're not going to rent a house sight unseen. We plan on starting to look for one the first week we are there and the goal is to be out of there by my birthday (17 July). I love my parents but I do not want to live with them.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Only because we're not going to rent a house sight unseen. We plan on starting to look for one the first week we are there and the goal is to be out of there by my birthday (17 July). I love my parents but I do not want to live with them.

That is what we did, rented a place unseen. It turned out ok for us fortunately.

Good luck with the search.

DCF - London

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001