zachdg

Form I-151, from Sept 1977, unrenewed eversince

5 posts in this topic

So, a relative of mine still has an Alien Receipt Registration Card or Form I-151 in the year 2020 (like the one in the attached image, i don't feel comfortable sharing the real card), I have read that this was rendered by INS invalid for proof of residence since 1996. My uncle has never encountered any problem, neither thus he use the card often. He still has a current California RealID, obtained using his unrestricted SSN and the DD Form-1173-1 Card and now we are planning to apply for naturalization for him. Do we need to renew the card first? (In that case, what form shall be used?) or can we go straight to naturalization? , also he is now 71 years old , lived in america since his late 20's, is he exempt from the civic and language test?. His last travel abroad was on March 17, 1996 to May 30, 1996 and the P.I Passport he used back then still remain unrenewed . Passport expired in February 2001, Do we need to renew that too?. I know this might take time due to the current pandemic and lockdown. TIA for any responce

gc.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

He should have applied for a new card, but personally, I would proceed to Naturalization at this point since the card is only the physical manifestation of status, not the actual status itself.  As to the English/Civics exemption, only the language test has an exemption for 50 and over and LPR for 20 years or 55 and older and an LPR for 15 years can get an exemption for English, but not civics.  I believe there is a medical exemption for civics though.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

On 5/28/2020 at 9:19 AM, Dashinka said:

He should have applied for a new card, but personally, I would proceed to Naturalization at this point since the card is only the physical manifestation of status, not the actual status itself.  As to the English/Civics exemption, only the language test has an exemption for 50 and over and LPR for 20 years or 55 and older and an LPR for 15 years can get an exemption for English, but not civics.  I believe there is a medical exemption for civics though.

Good Luck!

Well, they partly can. Applicants age 65 and older who have been LPRs for at least 20 years only need to learn 20 of the civics questions, not all 100. If you have a copy of the booklet, those 20 are the ones with asterisks.

Edited by SusieQQQ

On 5/31/2020 at 3:03 AM, SusieQQQ said:

Well, they partly can. Applicants age 65 and older who have been LPRs for at least 20 years only need to learn 20 of the civics questions, not all 100. If you have a copy of the booklet, those 20 are the ones with asterisks.

I don't have a booklet but i printed the guide from the uscis website. Thanks! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.