BOKURAGAITA

Passport Question

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone. 

My question is can i bring my kid's passport and their birth certificates and any important documents when entering the US? Me and my fiancé will going to petition my kids after oir marriage.There is an issue why they need to follow after and thats because of my family, im worried it might cause tension in the future. 

any info or advice is appreciated. 

Godbless. 

If you bring their passports, how are they going to get their visas?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
24 minutes ago, JFH said:

If you bring their passports, how are they going to get their visas?

Me and my fiancé planned that when i get my GC we will start my kids petition because we want to be hands on from start to finish even getting their medical and interviews. We planned to do it after getting GC soo i could travel and my fiancé. 

3 hours ago, Carin Bulado said:

Me and my fiancé planned that when i get my GC we will start my kids petition because we want to be hands on from start to finish even getting their medical and interviews. We planned to do it after getting GC soo i could travel and my fiancé. 

Then he will need to petition them if you wait that long. You won’t be able to do a K-2 for them as the deadline for that is 1 year. Your then-husband will have to petition them as IR-2s

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

You can have k2 to follow be delayed by a year if that makes it easier, but your kids would be tied to your petition

It can take 7 to 12 months to get a green card. By that time you've burned through the K2 to follow timeframe.  Better to take them with you. Less money in the end and less time. 

What are your reasons for not having them travel with you when you come?

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

It can take 7 to 12 months to get a green card. By that time you've burned through the K2 to follow timeframe.  Better to take them with you. Less money in the end and less time. 

My kids grow up with me and my parents, they are more close when i study for another 2 years. When me and my fiancé decided to apply for K1 and when we were discussing everyone what are the plans (that includes my kids travelling with me) and my parents and brothers asking and begging me not yet to bring the 3 of them (there are no other kids where we live its more likely a compound). 

I tried to understand and talk aboit it to my fiancé, disagreed but he then agreed later on. My K1 process is in transit status now, my reason is i gave my family a chance to let my kids stay and were supporting them until the day we decided to file a petition to get them and everyday i know my mom is taking advantage of me (financially) and that is my MISTAKE. It's more likely a family issue that i don't even trust them keep my kids important docs especially their passports. 

Me and my mom had issues like most of my living years. And now iam asking people or any info who can givr me details or advises. 

Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Carin Bulado said:

My kids grow up with me and my parents, they are more close when i study for another 2 years. When me and my fiancé decided to apply for K1 and when we were discussing everyone what are the plans (that includes my kids travelling with me) and my parents and brothers asking and begging me not yet to bring the 3 of them (there are no other kids where we live its more likely a compound). 

I tried to understand and talk about it to my fiancé, disagreed but he then agreed later on. My K1 process is in transit status now, my reason is i gave my family a chance to let my kids stay and were supporting them until the day we decided to file a petition to get them and everyday i know my mom is taking advantage of me (financially) and that is my MISTAKE. It's more likely a family issue that i don't even trust them keep my kid's important docs especially their passports. 

Me and my mom had issues like most of my living years. And now i am asking people or any info who can give me details or advises. 

Thanks. 

These are your kids and not hers. You do what is best for you. I have two K-2's that came with their mother and they did so much better here in the US then they would have if left in the PI. This is your life, your husband to be and your kids. That is your family. It's always better if you do what is best for your family. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Since it would take a little longer for me to petition my kids and that would expire the follow to join K2 i atleast wanna know if i can bring important documents of my kids and that includes their passport. If we decided to file a specific type of Visa for them then its easy for us to mail everything. Im afraid i would be question why im keeping my kids passport and theyre in PHI?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

These are your kids and not hers. You do what is best for you. I have two K-2's that came with their mother and they did so much better here in the US then they would have if left in the PI. This is your life, your husband to be and your kids. That is your family. It's always better if you do what is best for your family. 

Thank you and yes i agree with you. My mistake is i still listen to her and to them. 

Do you already have your visa?

If not you can apply for your kids k2 when you apply for the K1, have their medicals and bring them with you instead of leaving them behind. It's not too late. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
6 hours ago, NikLR said:

Do you already have your visa?

If not you can apply for your kids k2 when you apply for the K1, have their medicals and bring them with you instead of leaving them behind. It's not too late. 

I dont have my visa yet, but my application has been approved and in transit (prolly after lockdown here it will be ready).

21 minutes ago, Carin Bulado said:

I dont have my visa yet, but my application has been approved and in transit (prolly after lockdown here it will be ready).

Well then you have plenty of time left to apply for your children to immigrate WITH you instead of follow to join.  They're YOUR children, and children are remarkably adaptable.  If you're worried your parents will hide their passports etc, don't give them the chance. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.