10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm sending off my AOS paperwork this week (finally!!)

But I'm a bit confused on something. I keep hearing people refer to a combo card, and I'm assuming this is a EAD and travel document card in one?

We are currently using my husband's parents address as our *mailing address*, as we are probably going to move in the next few months, and because a lot of mail goes missing at this apartment. Of course, wherever it asks for *physical address*, I put the apartment where I am living. 

However: 

- Form I-131 for advance parole, only asks for physical address. and then in part 3, Q5 onwards it asks where to have it sent. And I have ticked box 5 (send it to the address at the beginning of the form which is my physical address

- Form I-765 asks for physical and mailing address, and I assume the card will be sent to the mailing address we provided

Is this going to be an issue? We would prefer to use his parent's mailing address wherever we can as they have no plans of moving and have less issues with mail going missing.

Thanks and stay safe!

38 minutes ago, US2UK said:

- Form I-131 for advance parole, only asks for physical address. and then in part 3, Q5 onwards it asks where to have it sent. And I have ticked box 5 (send it to the address at the beginning of the form which is my physical address

- Form I-765 asks for physical and mailing address, and I assume the card will be sent to the mailing address we provided

Looks correct. After receiving the receipt notices fill out AR-11 (Change of Address) online for the pending I-131. The online AR-11 form will have fields for both physical and mailing addresses: https://www.uscis.gov/ar-11

Edited by HRQX

Timeline
2 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Looks correct. After receiving the receipt notices fill out AR-11 (Change of Address) online for the pending I-131. The online AR-11 form will have fields for both physical and mailing addresses: https://www.uscis.gov/ar-11

Hi, thanks for the info.

So to clarify, both the travel and work authorisation come on one card? so I should file AR-11 for the travel auth to ensure it's clear that I want the card to be mailed to his parent's house?

Timeline

Thanks this is all super helpful! I will file that document after just so it's clear where I want the card to go to 🙂

One more thing that you will probably know the answer to.. when you have the advance parole, I assume you don't need to use another visa such as an esta etc when leaving and entering the US? just the advance parole?

Edited by US2UK

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, US2UK said:

One more thing that you will probably know the answer to.. when you have the advance parole, I assume you don't need to use another visa such as an esta etc when leaving and entering the US? just the advance parole?

Your ESTA days are over. So is your visa. Once you enter on a K1 visa, it is no longer valid. That’s why you need advance Parole to get back in the country. Once you get a greencard, you enter the country with the greencard.

BTW. ESTA is not a visa. 

2 hours ago, US2UK said:

when leaving and entering the US? just the advance parole?

When leaving the US, there isn't CBP doing passport control. Airlines will have requirements based on transit countries (if any) and destination country. When returning to the US, look at the language on my standalone AP as an example:

TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION: Presentation of the original of this document authorizes a transportation line to accept the named bearer on board for travel to the United States without liability under section 273 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) for bringing an alien who does not have a visa.

PAROLE: The named bearer of this authorization is an applicant for adjustment of status under the Act. The bearer departed the United States temporarily and intends to return to the United States to resume processing of the adjustment of status application. Presentation of the original of this document prior to  September 23, 2020  allows a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Inspector at a port-of-entry to parole the named bearer, whose photograph appears hereon, into the United States based upon urgent humanitarian reasons or significant public benefit. This authorization is valid for multiple applications for parole into the United States during the validity period noted above. Each parole period shall not exceed one year from the date of parole at the port-of-entry.

Edited by HRQX

Timeline
1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

Your ESTA days are over. So is your visa. Once you enter on a K1 visa, it is no longer valid. That’s why you need advance Parole to get back in the country. Once you get a greencard, you enter the country with the greencard.

BTW. ESTA is not a visa. 

Thanks for the info :-) do we get to use the American / LPR line too?! 

yup I was aware esta not actually a visa but I guess we do need to be very specific and careful in what we right on here! 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, HRQX said:

When leaving the US, there isn't CBP doing passport control. Airlines will have requirements based on transit countries (if any) and destination country. When returning to the US, look at the language on my standalone AP as an example:

Thanks for all your help today - it’s appreciated ! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, US2UK said:

Thanks for the info 🙂 do we get to use the American / LPR line too?! 

When you are an LPR or USC 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.