Puppythecat

balikbayan box questions

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance is currently stuck in Manila during the quarantine while we wait for K1 visas to start being processed again.  Her mom wanted her to visit her family in Masbate but with domestic travel shut down that hasn't really been possible.  I suggested we could come up with things to put into a care package for her family back in the province. 

1) I'm not a filipino citizen so I'm not eligible for the tax-exemption.  How does paying the taxes work?  Will I just be contacted with a bill I can pay online and how much can I expect to pay?  Also how should I estimate the value of snacks and used items on the forms?

2) What other kinds of things are appropriate to include?  The banned item lists say that meat must be canned but I've also seen people recommend jerky.  Are packages of dried jerky acceptable?

So far I've included:

-A handwritten letter

-A couple pictures of the two of us together for her mom

-Ample amount of Lindt chocolate that was on post-Easter sale

-A couple of stuffed animals for her 2 year old niece

-An Estwing carpentry hammer I've had for a few years that her dad (a carpenter) will get more use out of than I will

-spam and corned beef

-bulk package of M&Ms

-some dry BBQ spices from my hometown

4 hours ago, Puppythecat said:

My fiance is currently stuck in Manila during the quarantine while we wait for K1 visas to start being processed again.  Her mom wanted her to visit her family in Masbate but with domestic travel shut down that hasn't really been possible.  I suggested we could come up with things to put into a care package for her family back in the province. 

1) I'm not a filipino citizen so I'm not eligible for the tax-exemption.  How does paying the taxes work?  Will I just be contacted with a bill I can pay online and how much can I expect to pay?  Also how should I estimate the value of snacks and used items on the forms?

2) What other kinds of things are appropriate to include?  The banned item lists say that meat must be canned but I've also seen people recommend jerky.  Are packages of dried jerky acceptable?

So far I've included:

-A handwritten letter

-An Estwing carpentry hammer I've had for a few years that her dad (a carpenter) will get more use out of than I will

-spam and corned beef

-bulk package of M&Ms

What taxes are you paying?  We send boxes every year and we are putting one together now.  I think we pay $65 for a big box (as much as we can fit).  I will ask my wife when she gets home from work.  I dont recall anything about taxes.  According to this if the value is less than $3000 there is no tax.

The Bureau of Customs (BOC) on Wednesday reiterated that balikbayan boxes sent by overseas Filipinos are duty and tax-free, reviewing the guidelines and those who are qualified to benefit from the privilege. ... Duties and taxes will be imposed to amounts exceeding P150,000.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline

"balikbayan boxes sent by overseas Filipinos are duty and tax-free"

As far as I can tell the exemption only applies to Filipinos and only when sending boxes to family members.  I'm not a a Filipino and my fiance is still stuck in Manila :(

18 minutes ago, Puppythecat said:

As far as I can tell the exemption only applies to Filipinos and only when sending boxes to family members.  I'm not a a Filipino and my fiance is still stuck in Manila :(

They started talking about doing the fee a couple years back but it got scrapped pretty quickly. You are way over thinking what stuff to put in there because when Filipinos put fill a BB box they put EVERYTHING in there. Jerky is fine. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, Puppythecat said:

So far I've included:

-A handwritten letter

-spam and corned beef

-bulk package of M&Ms

I hope you realize that the balikbayan box is approx. 75 days or so to deliver.   

YMMV

Timeline
45 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I hope you realize that the balikbayan box is approx. 75 days or so to deliver.   

Yeah, all the more reason to start early.  Who knows how long it will be before travel returns to normal.

23 hours ago, Puppythecat said:

Only Filipinos call it a balilbayan box so you are fine.  They never checked my ID when I drop them off.  Aren't we all a little Filipino at heart?  Seriously, I always drop the boxes off on my own and I will never be mistaken as a filipino!

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, John & Rose said:

Only Filipinos call it a balilbayan box so you are fine.  They never checked my ID when I drop them off.  Aren't we all a little Filipino at heart?  Seriously, I always drop the boxes off on my own and I will never be mistaken as a filipino!

Yup. Two were picked up at my house today.   I filled out and signed all documents 

YMMV

6 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Drop off?  I have always had them come to my house and pick up inside the house and let them roll it down walk and the steps.

We always dropped it off. I’ve never asked about pickup. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

5 hours ago, Puppythecat said:

Wow good to hear I thought they were going to need a copy of passport :)

So on to the other question - what else to include?

I like to send stuff for myself to use.

Cordless tools like Milwaukee or Dewalt, I have became a Milwaukee fan due to batteries lasting longer and so many more cordless tools made by Milwaukee vs DeWalt.

Hand tools also like wrenches, socket sets, etc. Along with bolts/nuts/etc since all that stuff is hard to find or stupid expensive there.  I also sent myself a nice hand push Scotts lawnmower, the china stuff they sell in Philippines is pure ####### and expensive,

Get some Frogg Toggs rain suits from Wal-Mart they run $17 per top and bottom and are lightweight and work excellent.  I use these when riding my motorcycle over there, and they are designed to allow you to breathe when it raining outside and it's warm and humid.  All the rainsuits I can find over there are either PVC and you sweat profusely or they are undersized.  I wear American Size XL and I am 6' 3" and hard to find clothes for me in Philippines.  

Send yourself some shoes as well if you have large feet like I do,  I send all kinds of Crocs Shoes over there, they are stupid expensive over there.  I will send a few bottles of Polo Cologne as well since you can't carry them on in your luggage on the plane, got to smell good when your out and about in the Philippines.  

4 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

Drop off?  I have always had them come to my house and pick up inside the house and let them roll it down walk and the steps.

They came to my house to pick up a box.  They turned out to be a she.  She was 5 foot nothing and less than a buck five.  While it would have been amusing to watch her wrestle an extra-large box into the back of her SUV, I'm not that much of an azzhat, so I used her hand cart to load it for her.

Pretty nice service that they will come to your house for the box.  

Finally done.

1 hour ago, Milmauka said:

@Allovertheworld

Do you live in Davao city or in the province?  My fiance is from Davao.

My asawa is from Davao.... Where is yours from

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.