3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi,

I am at a loss.

I thought I could file for AOS by myself and I did a ton of research, however we decided that it would easier and less risky to work with a third party, RapidVisa.

We were told by RapidVisa that we need a joint sponsor since we only have the most recent year  of tax returns (our income is above the poverty guidelines). The other 2 years my husband didn’t make enough money and didn’t file taxes.

Now, I read somewhere that you can’t get a joint sponsor when you make over 125% of the poverty guideline. Also I read the USCIS only looks at the most recent tax year. 

So what are we supposed to do?

Do we need to get a joint sponsor now or for down the road?

Please help a non-immigrant out here! 🙏🏼

Emily

————

Entered US: 02/27/2020

Got married: 03/16/2020

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 minutes ago, EmilyTH said:

Hi,

I am at a loss.

I thought I could file for AOS by myself and I did a ton of research, however we decided that it would easier and less risky to work with a third party, RapidVisa.

We were told by RapidVisa that we need a joint sponsor since we only have the most recent year  of tax returns (our income is above the poverty guidelines). The other 2 years my husband didn’t make enough money and didn’t file taxes.

Now, I read somewhere that you can’t get a joint sponsor when you make over 125% of the poverty guideline. Also I read the USCIS only looks at the most recent tax year. 

So what are we supposed to do?

Do we need to get a joint sponsor now or for down the road?

Please help a non-immigrant out here! 🙏🏼

Emily

————

Entered US: 02/27/2020

Got married: 03/16/2020

While 3 years is OPTIONAL, only one year is required 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I used RapidVisa, too. It was okay in some ways, but they do make mistakes. If I knew about this site (VJ) sooner, I wouldn't have used them. Anyway, with respect to their assertion that you need a joint sponsor, even though your husband's income is over 125% - I think RapidVisa is overly cautious. They don't like to take any chances because, if your application is denied, they have to refund your money. They also make mistakes, one of which could have cost us our approval. Fortunately our IO was nice and let us correct the mistake at our interview and we were approved. I'm telling you this so you won't stress over what RV says, and go with what you have found to be true, knowing your own situation what you have read on  the USCIS website. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.