9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hello

Since my wife is US citizen i just got this checklist for the DS 5540 which is need to fill it out cause im out of the USA but how i can answer the questions about my income and taxes while I'm not in the USA yet

how I can provide all of this while im outside the USA

Document Checklist

• Your marriage certificate, if you changed your name due to marriage and your name is listed differently on different documents.
  • Proof of current or future health insurance and coverage in the United States (a copy of the policy itself, with your signature and the signature of a company representative, would be best). The policy should list the dates of coverage.
  • Proof of your income: Official pay stubs for the past six months can be used to prove your salary, as can a bank statement issued by your bank that shows deposits into your account. Other income such as stock dividends, rental income, pension income, child support, investment income, royalties, etc. can be established with appropriate documentation issued by the source — an official pension statement issued by the payer, a child support order issued by a court, a royalty agreement, etc.
  • Proof of your assets and their value. If you own a house, for example, you could submit a copy of the deed, along with a professional appraisal of its value. You should also include documents proving any stock ownership, etc. The contents of your bank account can be established with a 12-month bank statement issued by the bank.
  • Your U.S. federal tax returns for the past three years. You can receive an official tax transcript from the IRS upon request.You will also need to include supplementary forms such as W-2, 1099s, etc.
  • A verification of employment letter from your current employer, issued on company letterhead and signed by your employer. If you are currently employed. If you are entering the US with a job offer, you can submit your offer letter. If your immigrant visa application is based on employment, you will need to submit this information with other parts of your application anyway — you needn’t prepare two copies.
  • Proof of education. You will need a diploma and preferably a transcript as well, for each degree you earned. A transcript showing your grades will be particularly useful if you were a good student.
  • Copies of any job certifications and licenses that you possess — an electrician’s license, for example.
  • Evidence of your receipt of public benefits. You should receive a notification letter when your application for the benefit is approved, and you can submit this as evidence.
  • Military service records issued by the US military, if any member of your household was in active duty military service while receiving US public benefits. These records can help your application.
  • Documents proving any other declaration you make, if the nature of the declaration is such that it can be proven with documentary evidence.

Edited by Transcom123

Timeline
Just now, Hilde said:

You should file US taxes even when you live abroad. So you can send the tax transcript for that.

As for your income, you use whatever income you filed on your taxes.

Thanks but i never been in the USA I'm living far from my wife  never worked in the USA and i never had an income and filled for taxes 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Just now, Transcom123 said:

Thanks but i never been in the USA I'm living far from my wife  never worked in the USA and i never had an income and filled for taxes 

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought YOU were the USC...

Do you have income? If so, then just state what that is - you will need employment verification letter stating that and the proof of deposits into your account.

Timeline
Just now, Hilde said:

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought YOU were the USC...

Do you have income? If so, then just state what that is - you will need employment verification letter stating that and the proof of deposits into your account.

I work in mu country and I have income in my country so I need to mention that in the form ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 minute ago, Transcom123 said:

So i don't mention nothing about my wife income and taxes ?

This form is specific to the immigrant. The purpose is to find out whether the immigrant (you) is likely to need government assistance while in the USA.

For Part 4 you can write that you have not filed taxes because you have not lived or generated income in the USA.

There you can also include your yearly income (part 4, item 8A).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.