KelsJosh

SSN card update?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have gotten my greencard and just curious, do I need to get a new Social Security card now or let them know I can work or?.. I only ask because it says " Valid for work only with DHS authorization" on it. Or does that not matter ?

You can come in when SSA offices open again to update your status, they will remove that annotation. 

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

15 minutes ago, KelsJosh said:

I have gotten my greencard and just curious, do I need to get a new Social Security card now or let them know I can work or?.. I only ask because it says " Valid for work only with DHS authorization" on it. Or does that not matter ?

Following because i'm curious what people have to say. I never got mine updated and I have never had an issue. Been working for a year and a half, filed taxes 2 years etc. 

K1 Visa

Spoiler

Met: January 2014
Filed K1: April 2017
I-129F received: 4/10/17
I-129F NOA1: 4/13/17
I-129F NOA2: 8/19/17

NVC received our case: 9/01/17

NVC assigned a case number: 9/01/17

Case Ready: 9/08/17

Visa Medical: 9/21/17

Visa Interview - Approved: 10/17/17

P.O.E: 11/20/17

AOS

Spoiler

Filed AOS,AP,EAD: 02/16/18

Case received: 02/21/18

Case NOA1: 02/26/18

RFIE: 03/14/18 (birth cert translation Eng:Eng) 

Interview: 06/25/2018

Green card issued: 07/11/2018

EAD/AP received: 07/16/2018

Green Card received: 07/18/2018

ROC

Packet mailed: 04/14/20

Packet received/NOA date: 04/17/20
NOA and extension received: never received 

Non-delivery notice sent: 5/17/20

NOA re-mailed: 5/19/20

2nd NOA received: 5/23/20

Filed: Timeline

You are not required to get a new SS card w/o the wording. However it is highly recommended that you do when possible. Mainly to avoid confusion when you need to present your SS card. In general the public is rather ignorant when it comes to immigration stuff so you may find when attempting to open a bank account or apply for a loan they dont know what to do with a card with that wording on it. Or when you apply for a new job - they may not know what it means or that its N/A. Also when doing e-verify you can use an unrestricted SS card along with a DL as proof of work auth. If you have the wording on the card you can not- you have to provide specific documentation. You may say well thats fine but what if you lose your GC and also need to apply for a job (or go through e-verify at current job)- well then you are going to have a problem so again its just best to get the inapplicable wording removed. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

To add to the SS card anyone getting their citizenship should also go to the SS office and update their status to citizen

SS says it does make a difference in the system (last step and then you don't have to think of immigration again)

Timeline
7 hours ago, NancyNguyen said:

You can come in when SSA offices open again to update your status, they will remove that annotation. 

Great thank you!

7 hours ago, Villanelle said:

You are not required to get a new SS card w/o the wording. However it is highly recommended that you do when possible. Mainly to avoid confusion when you need to present your SS card. In general the public is rather ignorant when it comes to immigration stuff so you may find when attempting to open a bank account or apply for a loan they dont know what to do with a card with that wording on it. Or when you apply for a new job - they may not know what it means or that its N/A. Also when doing e-verify you can use an unrestricted SS card along with a DL as proof of work auth. If you have the wording on the card you can not- you have to provide specific documentation. You may say well thats fine but what if you lose your GC and also need to apply for a job (or go through e-verify at current job)- well then you are going to have a problem so again its just best to get the inapplicable wording removed. 

Awesome, thanks for the info. And you're right so many have no idea about anything immigration related, had a very rough time with vehicle insurance, drivers license AND getting a SS lol! When things open back up I'll head to the SS office!

7 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

To add to the SS card anyone getting their citizenship should also go to the SS office and update their status to citizen

SS says it does make a difference in the system (last step and then you don't have to think of immigration again)

Great! Thanks!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
On 5/1/2020 at 1:22 PM, Villanelle said:

Absolutely agree. I had that issue while trying to open a bank account at a local credit union. They didn't accept it even when I presented my green card. It also applies if you're trying to get a job while doing ROC and your green card has expired. Many employers don't understand what an extension letter is, even though they should. If you have the time, update your card!

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 5/4/2020 at 5:38 PM, tamaara said:

Absolutely agree. I had that issue while trying to open a bank account at a local credit union. They didn't accept it even when I presented my green card. It also applies if you're trying to get a job while doing ROC and your green card has expired. Many employers don't understand what an extension letter is, even though they should. If you have the time, update your card!

Makes sense! Still job searching so I'll definitely get it updated! Thank you! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I'm having this same issue, I got a job offer but when they saw it written on my ss card.. they said I should go change it first.

SS office said I can mail my original documents to them but I don't know how safe it is.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.