1,612 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, taximan683 said:

Well, I looked into it further and I can't claim the K-2 as a dependent because she was in the USA only 177 days in 2019 and would not be considered an resident alien. She has to be in the USA 183 days, so that 6 days cost me about $3,000. She doesn't qualify as a dependent if she is a non-resident alien. I thought about filing with her as a resident alien and hope they don't notice, but to get the ITIN you have to provide a document showing the date she entered the country.

That made things easier anyway. I just left the K-2 off of the return and filed jointly with my K-1. That's a load off my mind. I was afraid to send her passport to the IRS, and I didn't want to pay an acceptance agent for the ITIN.

Taxes done, that's one less thing to worry about now.

Good going, you can catch the K2 next tax season!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

38 minutes ago, taximan683 said:

Well, I looked into it further and I can't claim the K-2 as a dependent because she was in the USA only 177 days in 2019 and would not be considered an resident alien. She has to be in the USA 183 days, so that 6 days cost me about $3,000. She doesn't qualify as a dependent if she is a non-resident alien. I thought about filing with her as a resident alien and hope they don't notice, but to get the ITIN you have to provide a document showing the date she entered the country.

That made things easier anyway. I just left the K-2 off of the return and filed jointly with my K-1. That's a load off my mind. I was afraid to send her passport to the IRS, and I didn't want to pay an acceptance agent for the ITIN.

Taxes done, that's one less thing to worry about now.

Just one thing - how many days in the US during 2018 and 2017? I ask because you may file taxes under the 'substantial presence test'. worth checking out. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Indie2020 said:

Just one thing - how many days in the US during 2018 and 2017? I ask because you may file taxes under the 'substantial presence test'. worth checking out. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test

Unfortunately, she was not in the USA before 2019. You are right though, and it's good to post that in case someone else is in the same situation. Thank you!

On 8/13/2020 at 9:13 PM, Eshoesco24 said:

Hi all! We received the biometrics appointment letter in the mail today for August 19th. The website did not update so just be patient! Our local office is Detroit, MI.

Hi, my asc center is Detroit my NOA date is June 03 2020. Did u file both I130 and I485 together? Hope I get my biometrics appointment soon. 🤞 

Edited by Zack619

On 8/29/2020 at 12:36 PM, Ruan & Emmanuel said:

Hey y'all,

I just got my EAD/AP combo card. I'm so hyped! 😄

Waiting for the SSN card now so I can start doing things.

Congratulations! I saw your timeline says you expedited your combo card, do you mind sharing the experience? I tried to expedite too but they said my situation is not emergent enough or something and denied it.

2019-08-04   Got Married

--- Consullar Processing Stage ---

2020-01-22   Filed I-130 (Consullar Processing)

2020-02-20   Entered the US (originally just for a visit but got stuck in the US thanks to the travel ban)

2020-05-21   I-130 got approved

--- Adjustment of Status Stage ---

2020-06-02   Filed AOS (I-485, I-765, I-131)

2020-06-04   Delivered (PD on receipt)

2020-06-29   Check cashed, received receipt number via SMS

2020-07-08   Received RFIE

2020-07-16   Mailed reponse to RFIE

2020-07-22   Status shows they received response to RFIE

2020-08-31   Received biometrics appointment letter

6 hours ago, Ally&Axel said:

Hi Guys,

I'm glad it's going faster for you guys than me, and I have a few questions.

• For those of you that have their case at the NBC, have any of you received fingerprints appointment yet?
  • Also how do you know for sure where your case is at? I'm assuming it's at the NBC because that's what my NOA says under "USCIS office address" but who knows..
  • Uscis processing time says it should take 28 to 37 month to process EAD. What is this timelines?? If I recall it was like 5 to 7 months about a month ago.

You can check which service center is processing your case by looking at your receipt notice.

Also if your receipt number starts with "MSC" then it's at National Benefit Center (NBC).

2019-08-04   Got Married

2020-02-20   Entered the US (originally just for a visit but got stuck in the US thanks to the travel ban)

Is it  just me or does it feel like not much moved this week other than for folks who filed  expedites?

A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS... (J-1, F-1, H-1B)

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

GC Approved - May 7, 2021

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

GC Delivered - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

File Date - January 8, 2024

Biometrics Waiver - January 8, 2024

Interview Scheduled - March 7, 2024

Interview Date - April 12, 2024

Conditionally Approved Pending I-751 Transfer - April 12, 2024

I-751 Case Was Transferred to Another Office - April 12, 2024

Case Approved - May 5, 2024

Oath Ceremony to be Scheduled - May 5, 2024

Oath Scheduled - May 18, 2024

Oath Ceremony - June 18, 2024

Oath Ceremony Cancelled - June 12, 2024

Oath Ceremony Rescheduled Date - July 30, 2024

DONE

Removal of Conditions:

File Date - January 7, 2023

Package Delivered - January 9, 2023

NOA Date - January 10, 2023

NOA Received - January 17, 2023 (dated "received" January 9, 2023)

48 Month Extension Received - March 20, 2023

Case Approved - May 3, 2024

event.png

13 minutes ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Is it  just me or does it feel like not much moved this week other than for folks who filed  expedites?

Lots of them in fact!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
10 hours ago, Kai & Jer said:

Thank you for clarifying. I wish it wasn't stuck at the NBC but in Texas instead where I'm applying from. The NBC is the slowest apparently.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Ally&Axel said:

Thank you for clarifying. I wish it wasn't stuck at the NBC but in Texas instead where I'm applying from. The NBC is the slowest apparently.

All cases are first adjudicated at the NBC. They're are the ones checking the forms, giving RFEs out, approving EAD/AP. Your local office will only receive your AOS application when you're ready to have an interview, because that's basically the only thing the local office does. All the timelines you see takes in consideration the time the application was first at the NBC and then moved to your local office.

31 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

All the timelines you see takes in consideration the time the application was first at the NBC and then moved to your local office.

Does this mean, on the Processing Times page, when you select I-485 then field office, that 24-36 or however many months only starts counting once your case is transferred from NBC to the field office?

So the total processing time from submission to GC approval = NBC processing time + Field Office processing time?

Edit: I found answer to my own question, on uscis website it says:

"This time range is how long it is taking USCIS to process your case from the date we received it. We generally process cases in the order we receive them, and we will update this page each month. The estimated time range displayed is based on data captured approximately two months prior to updating the page."

Edited by Kai & Jer

2019-08-04   Got Married

Timeline
55 minutes ago, Kai & Jer said:

Does this mean, on the Processing Times page, when you select I-485 then field office, that 24-36 or however many months only starts counting once your case is transferred from NBC to the field office?

So the total processing time from submission to GC approval = NBC processing time + Field Office processing time?

Edit: I found answer to my own question, on uscis website it says:

"This time range is how long it is taking USCIS to process your case from the date we received it. We generally process cases in the order we receive them, and we will update this page each month. The estimated time range displayed is based on data captured approximately two months prior to updating the page."

Like I said it's the whole thing: NBC+Local Office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ayrton said:

All cases are first adjudicated at the NBC. They're are the ones checking the forms, giving RFEs out, approving EAD/AP. Your local office will only receive your AOS application when you're ready to have an interview, because that's basically the only thing the local office does. All the timelines you see takes in consideration the time the application was first at the NBC and then moved to your local office.

image.thumb.png.cc1cb8a8be0f511a6b452eaa37f2eb1f.png

Is this correct? 28.5 Months to 37 Months for EAD at NBC for K-1 and K-2? Our receipt numbers all start with MSC.

Edited by taximan683

Timeline
1 hour ago, taximan683 said:

image.thumb.png.cc1cb8a8be0f511a6b452eaa37f2eb1f.png

Is this correct? 28.5 Months to 37 Months for EAD at NBC for K-1 and K-2? Our receipt numbers all start with MSC.

Nobody knows. It used to be 4-6 months. When they had issues printing the cards, and a judge told them they should produce cards I'm 7 days, they changed the processing time to that. But I think they only did that so people wouldn't complain it's taking too long.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 hours ago, Kai & Jer said:

Congratulations! I saw your timeline says you expedited your combo card, do you mind sharing the experience? I tried to expedite too but they said my situation is not emergent enough or something and denied it.

I firstly requested to expedite my travel document cause my grandma fell ill in my home country. I faxed the medical reports translated and certified to USCIS.

The following day I had a confirmation of travel document expedited. Same day I requested to expedite my EAD based on a job offer that I received that day.

3 days after they approved my request and mailed the EAD/AP combo card. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.