1,215 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
8 minutes ago, TamMhmd said:

Oh wow, you guys are lucky because I read from other users here that military grounds was not a valid reason for expedite. And away from family home is the norm for most people on here too. Congrats on expediting and keep us posted if you hear from Abu Dhabi consulate (we are also going to be processed there after our DQ)

We're in Abu Dhabi too :) Can't wait to hear about recent experiences!

Timeline

Hi everyone, I'd welcome any feedback on this situation. 

My husband (the petitioner) filed his 2019 tax returns as single (by his cpa), though we got married in September 2019. We realize now that was an error and are planning on doing the amendment.  

We are in the process of submitting docs for NVC. What we propose to do is submit to NVC his 2019 tax transcript as well as a copy of the 1040x form showing that we are doing the amendments to MFS (We are going to submit it by mail and enter "NRA" in the field asking for SSN.) 

Will this be acceptable? Depending on when we finally get an interview, I would bring along either the 1040x or the amended tax returns, whichever comes first. 

Thanks for any feedback! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
On 5/11/2020 at 3:46 PM, Quarknase said:

I-130 petitions filed online, or filed since last half of 2019. Their case number starts with the letters IOE which means they are not assigned to a service center, but are being processed at e-center location which I understand is the centralization of all I-130 petitions to prevent different processing times based on the center that received it.

IOE center also appears to have a direct integration with NVC, because WL is received within 24 hours for those cases rather than the usual 4-8 weeks for a case to be shipped to NVC and processed there.

Not really true, I did not file my I30 petition online yet my case number starts with IOE. 

Would you guys say this is adequate:

Dear Officer:

Currently, due to COVID-19, I will be unable to produce a police certificate. However, I do plan on obtaining it before the interview at the Montreal Consulate.

Thank you,

NAME

Or should I include more details about how I contacted the RCMP and they said no fingerprints currently?

1 minute ago, Jodie876 said:

Hi everyone, I'd welcome any feedback on this situation. 

My husband (the petitioner) filed his 2019 tax returns as single (by his cpa), though we got married in September 2019. We realize now that was an error and are planning on doing the amendment.  

We are in the process of submitting docs for NVC. What we propose to do is submit to NVC his 2019 tax transcript as well as a copy of the 1040x form showing that we are doing the amendments to MFS (We are going to submit it by mail and enter "NRA" in the field asking for SSN.) 

Will this be acceptable? Depending on when we finally get an interview, I would bring along either the 1040x or the amended tax returns, whichever comes first. 

Thanks for any feedback! 

My husband filed married but separately. Would that be okay?

Timeline
1 minute ago, KD VITAL said:

Not really true, I did not file my I30 petition online yet my case number starts with IOE. 

That’s why I said “filed online, or filed since last half of 2019” and not only online filers.  USCIS war running a pilot around April/May 2019 and started processing I-130 through IOE in late June or July

Timeline
5 minutes ago, INF said:

Dear Officer:

Currently, due to COVID-19, I will be unable to produce a police certificate. However, I do plan on obtaining it before the interview at the Montreal Consulate.

Thank you,

NAME

Or should I include more details about how I contacted the RCMP and they said no fingerprints currently?

My husband filed married but separately. Would that be okay?

MFS should be okay, i think that's your choice if you want to file separately or jointly. The issue is when you're married and file single, which unfortunately, it seems that because a lot of accountants don't have much experience with immigration, they advise people to do. 

2 minutes ago, Jodie876 said:

MFS should be okay, i think that's your choice if you want to file separately or jointly. The issue is when you're married and file single, which unfortunately, it seems that because a lot of accountants don't have much experience with immigration, they advise people to do. 

Oh wow, yea I cant imagine NVC being okay with filing single. It raises all kind of alarm bills. I wonder if you need to do an amendment and provide that?

Timeline
1 minute ago, INF said:

Dear Officer:

Thank you,

NAME

That should be enough, you just need a short sentence. This what my friend wrote and got accepted:  I am unable to obtain a police certificate due to COVID-19. However, I will bring the police certificate with me to the interview.

1 minute ago, KD VITAL said:

That should be enough, you just need a short sentence. This what my friend wrote and got accepted:  I am unable to obtain a police certificate due to COVID-19. However, I will bring the police certificate with me to the interview.

That's perfect. Thank you! Did they do "document unavailable" or attach a PDF saying that as a document? The NVC officer told me attach a PDF saying that. 

Timeline
Just now, INF said:

That's perfect. Thank you! Did they do "document unavailable" or attach a PDF saying that as a document? The NVC officer told me attach a PDF saying that. 

She did not attach a PDF,  but you can attach the note.

Timeline
25 minutes ago, INF said:

Oh wow, yea I cant imagine NVC being okay with filing single. It raises all kind of alarm bills. I wonder if you need to do an amendment and provide that?

The IRS would not be ok with filing single. If you're married there's not much choice (unless in specific circumstances if one files as head of household). I would not worry too much about NVC. Some use taxes as proof of bona fide marriage, but there are really other things that can be used too and if my return would be bigger through a different available filing option I would certainly not give away my money for immigration purposes :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi all, I just realized I filed my 2019 taxes as single. Did I totally screw myself over? I thought that I would be considered single in the US because I'm not legally married here. I've been living abroad for the past 3 years and got married in Colombia. My 1040 has already been submitted in the portal. Anyone had a similar experience? Thanks 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
15 minutes ago, HillJor said:

Hi all, I just realized I filed my 2019 taxes as single. Did I totally screw myself over? I thought that I would be considered single in the US because I'm not legally married here. I've been living abroad for the past 3 years and got married in Colombia. My 1040 has already been submitted in the portal. Anyone had a similar experience? Thanks 

when I try to file as married it doesn't let me submit (at least online) without the SSN of my husband, but he doesn't have one.

Edited by HillJor
wanted to add info

Timeline
23 minutes ago, HillJor said:

I believe the US accepts legal marriage in Colombia so you are considered married. Are you sponsoring your wife and USCIS accepted your petition with the Colombian marriage certificate? If they did, and did not say "you're not considered married under US law", then you are considered married :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

I believe the US accepts legal marriage in Colombia so you are considered married. Are you sponsoring your wife and USCIS accepted your petition with the Colombian marriage certificate? If they did, and did not say "you're not considered married under US law", then you are considered married :)

I agree. As far as I understand it, if us govt recognizes the country as legitimate, then they recognize the marriage. (there are some countries that the US government, as well as other governments, do not recognize as legit countries) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.