Sarismercadouribe

Spouse traveling to the States

24 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! Just curious if any spouse has been able to come to the US during Covid, especially after the new immigration laws. My husband is in Canada and I got denied entry  (by land) even after qualifying as an exception by being his wife. I am wondering if he can come to the states instead. As many of you know being apart is already hard enough and now this....

Any information would be helpful!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This is from another thread in the Canada forum, but I don't know if travelling together is required, or showing proof that you are married to an American. Honestly I won't want to go to NYC right now with that many cases.

On 4/24/2020 at 10:27 AM, jackanddeona said:

Havn't moved but my wife came to visit with me as the border was closed. The exception to the closure was citizens of the country and their spouses so she was able to enter after being asked a few questions about her travel insurance and where we were staying.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1596?language=en_US

On this page there is no exception for entering on the US side for immediate family members and I don't know if you would count under the Lawful Permanent resident until you cross. Best bet would be to phone the POE you are planning to cross and ask I would say?

Edited by don_mar

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Doesn't seem like a wise idea since he apparently doesn't have his visa yet. Canada is imposing a mandatory 14 day quarantine on anyone coming in, even if they're coming in after being denied at the US border. We have no idea how long that will last for, and if you intend to AOS after he enters that would be fraudulent.

The new EO's do not effect spouses of USC' travel to the US. Although ultimately it is the immigration officer who decides if they can have entry. That's not taking into account if you feel it is safe to travel in this current situation. Legally, you can travel on existing visas/visa waivers such as ESTA with a pending spousal visa if you can show proof of ties to the country you are traveling from. I have flown to the US prior to this pandemic outbreak after submitting our spousal visa.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Sarismercadouribe said:

Hello everyone! Just curious if any spouse has been able to come to the US during Covid, especially after the new immigration laws. My husband is in Canada and I got denied entry  (by land) even after qualifying as an exception by being his wife. I am wondering if he can come to the states instead. As many of you know being apart is already hard enough and now this....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/covid-19-canada-u-s-border-1.5518191

4 hours ago, Sarismercadouribe said:

Just curious-why were you denied entry? Did they say?

Thank you guys for the information. 

They didn't say why but I showed them everything - ties to the US, proof of my husbands Canadian citizenship, original marriage certificate and they still said no because it wasn't essential. Even though on their government website says that spouses are exempted... so idk

my husband is going to try to fly here (as there are fights) and will just be on quarantine once he goes back... I will make sure to keep everyone posted!

Timeline

Ya like I was quoted already my wife was able to come to Canada from the USA with the border closed but we did that on the first day of the closure so I guess they have tightened requirements? Any travel between countries right now seems like it could be denied based on the agent?

On 4/29/2020 at 11:58 AM, Sarismercadouribe said:

Yes I flew here from The Netherlands 2 weeks ago. Spouses are exempt from the travel ban. And the papers (marriage certificate, proof of citizenship of spouse) will be checked before boarding.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
On 5/1/2020 at 10:04 PM, MaryKate88 said:

Yes I flew here from The Netherlands 2 weeks ago. Spouses are exempt from the travel ban. And the papers (marriage certificate, proof of citizenship of spouse) will be checked before boarding.

Where did you fly from and what did you have as proof from your spouse? Is a copy of their passport enough?

I wanna fly soon too, can't wait to see my husband again.

04/23/19: got married in Florida

06/03/19: sent I-130

06/06/19: received NOA1

09/26/19: sent K-3

04/17/20: received NOA2

05/21/20: received case number NVC

05/27/20: sent expedite request

05/29/20: expedite request aprroved

05/29/20: case sent to Frankfurt embassy

06/02/20: case arrived in Frankfurt

06/04/20: Interview schedules for...

06/16/20: Interview - Approved!!! :D

11 hours ago, Tin4ik1990 said:

Where did you fly from and what did you have as proof from your spouse? Is a copy of their passport enough?

I wanna fly soon too, can't wait to see my husband again.

I flew from Amsterdam. I have brought my marriage certificate, copy of my husband's passport and driver's license. I understand that feeling well! Good luck to you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
9 hours ago, MaryKate88 said:

I flew from Amsterdam. I have brought my marriage certificate, copy of my husband's passport and driver's license. I understand that feeling well! Good luck to you!

Nice!

Are you just there to visit him. And if yes for how long?

04/23/19: got married in Florida

06/03/19: sent I-130

06/06/19: received NOA1

09/26/19: sent K-3

04/17/20: received NOA2

05/21/20: received case number NVC

05/27/20: sent expedite request

05/29/20: expedite request aprroved

05/29/20: case sent to Frankfurt embassy

06/02/20: case arrived in Frankfurt

06/04/20: Interview schedules for...

06/16/20: Interview - Approved!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 10:25 PM, MaryKate88 said:

I have a question, my husband is flying in tomorrow from Canada. Is there anything specific that they asked you? I want to know more specifics about the whole essential travel/non essential 

20 minutes ago, Sarismercadouribe said:

I have a question, my husband is flying in tomorrow from Canada. Is there anything specific that they asked you? I want to know more specifics about the whole essential travel/non essential 

Not really, when I was at the gate, there was someone from the US government waiting there checking all non-US citizens for their documentation. Only after approval you may board. It states very clearly in the proclamation that spouses were exempt. So there was no question of essential/non-essential. All I had to do was to prove I am married to an US citizen. Wish you luck!!

8 minutes ago, MaryKate88 said:

Not really, when I was at the gate, there was someone from the US government waiting there checking all non-US citizens for their documentation. Only after approval you may board. It states very clearly in the proclamation that spouses were exempt. So there was no question of essential/non-essential. All I had to do was to prove I am married to an US citizen. Wish you luck!!

Thank you so much! I will keep you posted 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.