Sarath

Please help.

22 posts in this topic

Hi guys, my fiance is in Ghana, we met for the first time in November for 9 days, we have plenty of pictures and proofs. I wanted to go see him again in June to take more pictures before we file. 

The way this lock down it, I don't know If I can just go ahead and file with the proofs I have or do you think I should wait to go see him again?

I know the process is about 9-10 months, I don't want to wait for too long to file because I want him here as soon as possible. I know whether I file now or later the process is still the same, but I still want him here by 02/2021 or 03/2021

How long was your process?

which service center is the fastest?

I appreciate your answers and thoughts

thank you in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Sarath said:

Hi guys, my fiance is in Ghana, we met for the first time in November for 9 days, we have plenty of pictures and proofs. I wanted to go see him again in June to take more pictures before we file. 

The way this lock down it, I don't know If I can just go ahead and file with the proofs I have or do you think I should wait to go see him again?

I know the process is about 9-10 months, I don't want to wait for too long to file because I want him here as soon as possible. I know whether I file now or later the process is still the same, but I still want him here by 02/2021 or 03/2021

thank you in advance.

I had only visited my fiance once at the time I filed, which was in December. I went back in February. Still waiting on NOA2 and I'm in about 130 days now. 

All petitions go to CSC and can be transfered to VSC, but usually very low chances and you have to really have some bad marks on your petition.

I would file with what you have. It's better than waiting as there's still no idea when you would be able to leave the country. The most you could get is an RFE, but you'd still be way ahead of the game. 

Edited by Solaris81

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You only need to prove that you've met in person once in 2 years. That is the most important requirement and by the looks of it you have done that. 

Seeing each other more would be helpful but I'm sure you could provide some secondary evidence like chat logs etc to show an on going relationship if 

your are that worried.  Did you have a ticket booked for June? If you did and had to cancel it would show you at least intended another visit. (just an idea)

As far as when he would be here and what service center is fastest. Even under normal circumstances there is no answer to your question. Everyone is approval time varies and now amongst a pandemic with the staffing is low at the USCIS, NVC, and Consulates around the globe are closed creating a back log. I wouldn't count on him being here in early 2021. All you have to do is apply and see what happens.

We got approval 2 weeks before the shutdown and were approved in roughly 3.5-4 months for our NOA2. BUT my case is now in transit to my consulate where I'm sure it will sit until consulates open, whenever that is. 

hope that's helpful and good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Sarath said:

thank you in advance.

There is only one service center. 

No reason to wait to file petition 

Covid has put all visa interviews on hold.  Time will only tell when they open back up

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, ashley_ann said:

As far as when he would be here and what service center is fastest. Even under normal circumstances there is no answer to your question. 

Sure there is.  There is but one service center that every petition is assigned to.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Sarath said:

what do you mean?

Just summarising the situation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
21 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The implication is that filing under those circumstances has a non-trivial risk of resulting in a denial. A single visit with a high fraud embassy is considered a red flag. Ghana is one of (if not the most) most difficult ones.

What about the Philippines? I visited once before I submitted my petition. I have since been back again. 

8 minutes ago, Solaris81 said:

What about the Philippines? I visited once before I submitted my petition. I have since been back again. 

Single visit with PH is not generally an issue. Obviously more is better, but that alone is not a large issue. Night and day from Ghana.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
4 hours ago, Sarath said:

thank you in advance.

Hello Sarath, 

This is only my suggestions, in the end you make the decision you feel is best for you and your fiancé. 

I suggest, going back at least one more time to see your honey  before filling. It's best to be on the safe side; it can possibly eliminate any chances of denial due to proof of a genuine relationship. 

Each case is unique in it's own way, but the current average time is 5-7 months, https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

All K1 goes to California but you have to initially send it to the Dallas lockbox. (For your ref: https://www.visajourney.com/guides/k1-fiance-visa-flowchart/)

Best of luck to you both!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

What is "fastest" for most may not be "fastest" for you. I recommend following the Ghana portal to read other's experiences. Ghana is a high fraud country and one short visit may not be enough for a k1 approval. If you get denied a k1 you will have to go and marry and apply for a CR1 and wait at least another year. Do you have other red flags in your relationship- age difference, religion, past denials, etc. Please know that nothing is fast in the immigration world and things just slowed down a whole lot more with COVID. Highly recommend checking the Ghana portal- someone with experience from the Philippines will be completely different than yours.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

7 hours ago, Ama_Kwaku said:

Hello Sarath, 

This is only my suggestions, in the end you make the decision you feel is best for you and your fiancé. 

I suggest, going back at least one more time to see your honey  before filling. It's best to be on the safe side; it can possibly eliminate any chances of denial due to proof of a genuine relationship. 

Each case is unique in it's own way, but the current average time is 5-7 months, https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

All K1 goes to California but you have to initially send it to the Dallas lockbox. (For your ref: https://www.visajourney.com/guides/k1-fiance-visa-flowchart/)

Best of luck to you both!

7 hours ago, Ama_Kwaku said:

I spoke to him and he said, he wants us to see each other once more before I file. I understand the likeness of the immigration and consulate in Ghana, I do not want to give them anything to question the genuine of our relationship. Thank you for your answer.

9 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

In comparison with Ghana, Philippines beneficiaries are handed out visas like candy.

That is so true.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.