RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi! I have two questions and hope that someone can answer them 🙂 Do I need to pay a fee at the airport in Mexico? I have been reading this on different websites. How do I have to pay for this fee? And my other question is if someone knows if the beaches in Cancun are open. I will fly to Mexico on Wednesday 🙂

3 minutes ago, Sarah84 said:

Hi! I have two questions and hope that someone can answer them 🙂 Do I need to pay a fee at the airport in Mexico? I have been reading this on different websites. How do I have to pay for this fee? And my other question is if someone knows if the beaches in Cancun are open. I will fly to Mexico on Wednesday 🙂

1. There is no fee

2. I can't answer this one

45 minutes ago, Sarah84 said:

Do I need to pay a fee at the airport in Mexico?

Are you referring to FMM fee? "If you fly into Mexico from overseas, the fee is usually included within your air ticket’s “fees and surcharges.” The fee is approximately US$25." https://www.mexperience.com/your-mexican-tourist-permit-fmm/

51 minutes ago, Sarah84 said:

And my other question is if someone knows if the beaches in Cancun are open.

Looks like they are currently closed: [article is in Spanish] https://www.infobae.com/america/mexico/2020/06/08/cancun-inicia-la-semana-con-semaforo-naranja-que-actividades-se-pueden-y-no-se-pueden-hacer/

59 minutes ago, Sarah84 said:

Do I need to pay a fee at the airport in Mexico?

It is included in the ticket - we always have to get ours refunded. ;)

59 minutes ago, Sarah84 said:

And my other question is if someone knows if the beaches in Cancun are open.

Officially - yes.  Due to be re-evaluated on the 14th.  Playa de Carmen has some open.  There are some "private islands" with lagoons.  Ask arround.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
21 hours ago, zrdn2019 said:

I just came across this article that summarizes which countries are "open" and to what extent, for just about the whole planet:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/12/which-countries-are-open-for-summer-travel-after-coronavirus.html

Thanks for sharing that! I would also suggest IATA’s website is good for checking for open boarders.

One thing to keep in mind is always looking at the date published or updated. It took a few days before IATA’s website updated their language to match Croatia’s new “open to tourism” allowance and some of the older Coronavirus Travel Restirctions by Country articles contain 2-month-old restrictions that have vastly changed for better or worse.

4 minutes ago, dannie xox said:

has anyone stayed in Croatia for 2 weeks then travelled to the US via Turkey? or have any info on this?

We are entering my second week in croatia. Croatian police are fine with a paid tourist booking or proof of Croatian property, pay close attention to the Connecting flight’s country’s restrictions. Ours were in Frankfurt but before we could check-in in Spain, our airline Lufthansa, was extremely hesitant and critical before issuing our checkin and boarding pass. Bring proof and emails from embassies and boarder police clarifying what is allowed. For more see our post here.

The trouble is Turkish airlines have cancelled on us with the possibility of flights restarting on July 1. Serbia Air is running from Belgrade to JFK but has cancelled all ZAG, Croatia to BEG, Serbia flights until July 1. Check your flight search engine around that time, and watch Turkish, Serbian, and Croatian news for hints of trouble or new updates. RIght now we are looking at the option to drive across because Serbian boarders are open. See IATA’s website and Serbia’s official police website.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
39 minutes ago, A Polite Parrot said:

Thanks for sharing that! I would also suggest IATA’s website is good for checking for open boarders.

One thing to keep in mind is always looking at the date published or updated. It took a few days before IATA’s website updated their language to match Croatia’s new “open to tourism” allowance and some of the older Coronavirus Travel Restirctions by Country articles contain 2-month-old restrictions that have vastly changed for better or worse.

We are entering my second week in croatia. Croatian police are fine with a paid tourist booking or proof of Croatian property, pay close attention to the Connecting flight’s country’s restrictions. Ours were in Frankfurt but before we could check-in in Spain, our airline Lufthansa, was extremely hesitant and critical before issuing our checkin and boarding pass. Bring proof and emails from embassies and boarder police clarifying what is allowed. For more see our post here.

The trouble is Turkish airlines have cancelled on us with the possibility of flights restarting on July 1. Serbia Air is running from Belgrade to JFK but has cancelled all ZAG, Croatia to BEG, Serbia flights until July 1. Check your flight search engine around that time, and watch Turkish, Serbian, and Croatian news for hints of trouble or new updates. RIght now we are looking at the option to drive across because Serbian boarders are open. See IATA’s website and Serbia’s official police website.

thank you for your response, that really helped. By the time I’ll be able to fly from Croatia it’ll be the first week of July anyway so hopefully that will be ok, i won’t have the choice to drive so i’ll be going hoping turkish airlines start around that time. fingers crossed!

On 6/11/2020 at 12:38 AM, talia0506 said:

So as mentioned earlier, our flight to Cancun Mexico is on the 20th from Frankfurt. I was following the whole thread and saw that lots of you had issues to explain the situation at check-in.

I just want to be prepared and hope all works out. What documents do you usually need to show them to make sure you are allowed to board the flight to Mexico?

Obviously the flight to the US after 14 days right and probably the reservation Mexico. Do you also need to show emails with CBP and Mexican government? Just want to make sure we are prepared.

I saw that most of you have a K-1 visa that have entered so far. My husband and I have L-1 visas and I guess the difference is that we actually already live in the US since a couple years. We are nervous but hope all will be fine!

Congrats on booking your flights and trying to make this work Talia! When I saw your post and realized you're coming in on an L-1 with your husband I wanted to share this article to make sure you were aware of what's going on. I'm surprised that nobody's posted about it in here but that's probably because it's not going to apply to K-1s. Apologies as I'm not trying to cause any more stress than everyone's already dealing with, but if this actually goes through (everything is just rumors so far but the sources are supposedly pretty credible) it's going to be an absolute shitshow. 

"There is speculation that the expanded proclamation could bar entry to the U.S. for H-1B, H-2B, L-1 and J-1 applicants pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act sections 212(f) and 215(a). More exactly, the proclamation is expected to expand to ban the entry of nonimmigrants in these categories,"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjsemotiuk/2020/06/12/speculation-mounts-as-list-of-us-work-visas-to-be-restricted-grows/#1a2490265b1c

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-12/trump-immigration-order-may-halt-work-visa-entries-until-fall

I'm trying to be optimistic but to be completely honest I'm devastated right now. My girlfriend was supposed to be here on her J-1 two months ago as she as a 15-month traineeship set up with a German/American school here in San Francisco. Call me nuts, but at this point I'm convinced Trump has intentionally kept the Schengen travel ban in place to prevent H1/L1/J1 visa holders from entering before this order comes out. In addition, the justification for this executive order (saying we need to ban all these visas temporarily to protect American jobs) completely contradicts Trump's effusive comments about the economy rebounding and unemployment dropping. 

Anyway, just wanted to make sure you were aware of what's going on and also needed to vent a bit. Sending you my best and really hope this won't affect your ability to re-enter the US. It sounds like the order is going to come out on Monday so hopefully we'll know more in a day or so. 

5 hours ago, jvette said:

Congrats on booking your flights and trying to make this work Talia! When I saw your post and realized you're coming in on an L-1 with your husband I wanted to share this article to make sure you were aware of what's going on. I'm surprised that nobody's posted about it in here but that's probably because it's not going to apply to K-1s. Apologies as I'm not trying to cause any more stress than everyone's already dealing with, but if this actually goes through (everything is just rumors so far but the sources are supposedly pretty credible) it's going to be an absolute shitshow. 

"There is speculation that the expanded proclamation could bar entry to the U.S. for H-1B, H-2B, L-1 and J-1 applicants pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act sections 212(f) and 215(a). More exactly, the proclamation is expected to expand to ban the entry of nonimmigrants in these categories,"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjsemotiuk/2020/06/12/speculation-mounts-as-list-of-us-work-visas-to-be-restricted-grows/#1a2490265b1c

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-12/trump-immigration-order-may-halt-work-visa-entries-until-fall

I'm trying to be optimistic but to be completely honest I'm devastated right now. My girlfriend was supposed to be here on her J-1 two months ago as she as a 15-month traineeship set up with a German/American school here in San Francisco. Call me nuts, but at this point I'm convinced Trump has intentionally kept the Schengen travel ban in place to prevent H1/L1/J1 visa holders from entering before this order comes out. In addition, the justification for this executive order (saying we need to ban all these visas temporarily to protect American jobs) completely contradicts Trump's effusive comments about the economy rebounding and unemployment dropping. 

Anyway, just wanted to make sure you were aware of what's going on and also needed to vent a bit. Sending you my best and really hope this won't affect your ability to re-enter the US. It sounds like the order is going to come out on Monday so hopefully we'll know more in a day or so. 

I've read this and I'm devastated too if the orange man is actually going to do this. I literally only have 5 more days left I really cannot use this now

5 hours ago, jvette said:

This is some positivity for you and me

Screenshot_20200613-214202.png

15 minutes ago, Ja3germeister said:

I've read this and I'm devastated too if the orange man is actually going to do this. I literally only have 5 more days left I really cannot use this now

Are you in Mexico right now meaning you've got 5 days left until you depart for the US? If so, I've read that while the EO will likely be announced on Monday it supposedly will not go into effect until the 24th. Obviously just speculation but hope that brings you some relief if you are currently in Mexico :)

1 minute ago, jvette said:

Are you in Mexico right now meaning you've got 5 days left until you depart for the US? If so, I've read that while the EO will likely be announced on Monday it supposedly will not go into effect until the 24th. Obviously just speculation but hope that brings you some relief if you are currently in Mexico :)

Yes I'm in Mexico. Thank you for the positive message 😁

This is great and thank you for sharing. I really hope this does not go through the way the media is speculating it will. I met my girlfriend in Thailand 19 months ago and we've been long distance ever since going back and forth between Germany and SF. We landed on the J1 as a way to close the gap and I cannot even begin to explain how much work it was to find her a trainee position and then do the interview and get the actual visa. She was supposed to be here two months ago and it feels like the cards just continue to get stacked against us as time goes on. I haven't seen her since January and this has been beyond painful....

3 minutes ago, Ja3germeister said:

This is some positivity for you and me

Screenshot_20200613-214202.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
35 minutes ago, jvette said:

How do you even know about those dates? Seems oddly specific 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.