RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, HRQX said:

Directly from where? Just making sure it doesn't have a layover within Canada.

Transit through Canada to another country from any location is permitted

When planning a connecting flight in Canada, please note the following:

• Passengers are allowed to transit from international-to-international terminals at their arrival airport in Canada;
  • Passengers must arrive and depart from the same airport within a reasonable timeframe (i.e. 24 hours);
  • Passengers must remain in the secure area/ airside, meaning leaving the airport is not permitted.
  • Transiting passengers are not permitted to connect domestically to another Canadian airport prior to departing Canada (e.g. CUN-YYZ-YVR-NRT) is not permitted);
  • For clarity, passengers who are considered in transit are those that do not have to clear Customs (CBSA) and formally enter Canada in order to pick up their baggage to travel on a subsequent flight.

We are flying from Germany - frankfurt - toronto - cancun

3 hours ago, Leah88 said:

Hey! Do you mind sharing where you’re staying? I’m curious and happy to hear from you! 

Sure thing! I'm staying in this Airbnb https://www.airbnb.mx/rooms/19431839?source_impression_id=p3_1591815018_IdcHint6yG0bZMk1&guests=1&adults=1

The place is a bit far from the city center, but that makes it very quiet, has a private beach and the host is great too. The only downside is the distance to the city center, but it's only ten minutes with an Uber, and it costs only like three bucks so I don't mind at all!

I'm so glad for all the people that already made it to Mexico, and I hope everyone reunites with their loved ones soon!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
1 hour ago, SBML said:

Sure thing! I'm staying in this Airbnb https://www.airbnb.mx/rooms/19431839?source_impression_id=p3_1591815018_IdcHint6yG0bZMk1&guests=1&adults=1

The place is a bit far from the city center, but that makes it very quiet, has a private beach and the host is great too. The only downside is the distance to the city center, but it's only ten minutes with an Uber, and it costs only like three bucks so I don't mind at all!

I'm so glad for all the people that already made it to Mexico, and I hope everyone reunites with their loved ones soon!

So unfortunately I wasn’t able to take my plane to Cancun today. I booked with VOLARIS and they said I can’t get on the plane without a health certificate. Obviously I did not have one and I also wasn’t informed by the airline. They still refused to give me a refund. I asked, if I could get a certificate somewhere close by or at the airport. They said no, well yes, but don’t go it’s a really dangerous area. So I was like ####### man. They said they could change my ticket, but I would only be allowed to fly in 14 days from now. Like wth. I didn’t feel safe at the airport to be honest, I didn’t feel good at all. Loads of flights were shown as cancelled. So I just felt like this was a sign from god, and I decided to go back to my safe and amazing hotel in Santa Fe. Luckily they still had my old room available and even gave me a free upgrade so I saved a bit of money for the stay. I tried to cancel my booking for the hotel in Cancun, but I’ll see if they accept it. I even had a friend translate all the emails I received from the airline in the last couple of days!! Nothing prepared me for this experience. Plus the people do not speak English very well, And everyone at the airport was wearing face shields and such. So if you plan on traveling with VOLARIS make sure to get a health certificate and bring a translator. They also couldn’t tell me if there is another airline, which takes passengers without a certificate. The people at the information were no help at all. So I’m back in Santa Fe. But that’s ok, I love this hotel and everyone is extremely helpful and nice!! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Leah88 said:

So unfortunately I wasn’t able to take my plane to Cancun today. I booked with VOLARIS and they said I can’t get on the plane without a health certificate. Obviously I did not have one and I also wasn’t informed by the airline. They still refused to give me a refund. I asked, if I could get a certificate somewhere close by or at the airport. They said no, well yes, but don’t go it’s a really dangerous area. So I was like ####### man. They said they could change my ticket, but I would only be allowed to fly in 14 days from now. Like wth. I didn’t feel safe at the airport to be honest, I didn’t feel good at all. Loads of flights were shown as cancelled. So I just felt like this was a sign from god, and I decided to go back to my safe and amazing hotel in Santa Fe. Luckily they still had my old room available and even gave me a free upgrade so I saved a bit of money for the stay. I tried to cancel my booking for the hotel in Cancun, but I’ll see if they accept it. I even had a friend translate all the emails I received from the airline in the last couple of days!! Nothing prepared me for this experience. Plus the people do not speak English very well, And everyone at the airport was wearing face shields and such. So if you plan on traveling with VOLARIS make sure to get a health certificate and bring a translator. They also couldn’t tell me if there is another airline, which takes passengers without a certificate. The people at the information were no help at all. So I’m back in Santa Fe. But that’s ok, I love this hotel and everyone is extremely helpful and nice!! 

Wow, that totally sucks but good for you for rolling with it and being flexible. And thanks for warning others! 👍

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 6/8/2020 at 10:52 AM, talia0506 said:

Hey guys, so my husband and I are about to book tickets to Mexico this week and plan to fly end of this week/beginning of next week. How do you feel in Mexico since COVID cases are pretty high. We were waiting for any other country to open, but it feels like even if they open, they are not opening to all countries and second there need to be flights going to the US as well. Mexico really seems like the only logical option. Croatia wont work since Turkish again suspended their flights to the US until June... Aruba is not saying when they open, so really not sure if it is worth waiting. 

How did you manage to book hotels? Did you had trouble to find some in Cancun? We wanted to travel to Cancun but then take a cab to Tulum since it is more quite... please share your experiences so far. We are really worried about the COVID  cases in Mexico.

I will be flying to Cancun the 20th and will be staying in a resort in Tulum. The resort is open and giving big discounts 😉

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi at all! Did anyone else of you guys need a health certificate when checking-in? Did anyone fly with Aeromexico and can tell me what they require? Thanks a lot!!!

Timeline

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. It seems much of the trouble discussed here is occurring during check-in on departing flights. This was the same experience for me departing Spain for Croatia with a layover in Frankfurt. We are hoping for a smooth flight and layover from Croatia to Serbia to JFK in NY next week.

Our itinerary: MAD-FRA-ZAG; ZAG-BEG-JFK

Here are what we think are the important parts of our journey thus far (before reaching the US):

• All of our check-ins could only be done in person.
  • The Lufthansa check-in was the most strict, especially with Germany not being open to “tourism” as well as other non essential travel. We had everything from flights to emails from Croatia’s Ministry of Interior (Police). After showing this and explaining we are doing this to reach the US because of the 14 day travel restriction, the staff had to seal with another staff member and eventual call someone else to  “override the system.”
  • Arriving in Frankfurt, everyone who was having a transfer flight (layover, transit, etc) went through a makeshift-looking boarder control check, and those with non-EU or schengen passports received a stamp. We mentioned we were going to Croatia to then enter the US. However, the officers appeared to only be concerned with our ability to properly enter our next stop, Croatia. Unlike lufthansa check-in, they didn’t ask for any emails of proof.
  • At Croatia’s border, we mentioned we had paid reservations for a place to stay, and after the officer reviewed the booking confirmation, we were allowed to enter.
  • We are counting our “14 days” on the day after arrival in the non-restricted country. We will stop counting on the day entering the US just to be extremely conservative.

More anecdotal noise:

• A number of us were being filtered through at check-in. One woman who had a copy of her marriage license had to insist with the Lufthansa staff member that she was allowed to check-in and fly because spouses are exempt to the travel restrictions. We believe the staff eventually gave her the ticket but she had to explain it a little gusto.
  • Our flights offered seats to be picked with one seat between each passenger but when we boarded this must have changed since our tickets were ordered as everyone was packed into every seat possible.
  • Croatia is currently allowing EU citizens and residents to enter if they can show proof of Croatian property, or even hotel, stay, house/boat rental, etc. booked and paid for.

A big thank you to those who shared with us your experiences including but not limited to:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline
36 minutes ago, A Polite Parrot said:

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. It seems much of the trouble discussed here is occurring during check-in on departing flights. This was the same experience for me departing Spain for Croatia with a layover in Frankfurt. We are hoping for a smooth flight and layover from Croatia to Serbia to JFK in NY next week.

What day is your flight next week?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I booked a flight for my fiancé from Manchester to Belgrade, Serbia for June 19 and he will be there until July 4. From there a direct flight from Serbia to New York and then from New York to Detroit. I’m going to be white knuckling this until he’s finally here. I hope this works. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi! I hope everyone is doing well 😊

Someone started a petition for borders to reopen with Europe, I thought you might be interested!

Petition here!

If you could sign it and share it around, that would be fantastic 🙏

I personally cannot spend 15 days abroad so waiting is my only option, I am glad that many of you could do the trip and reunite with family! 🤗

9 hours ago, Kaatje said:

I will be flying to Cancun the 20th and will be staying in a resort in Tulum. The resort is open and giving big discounts 😉

Awesome, we will be in Cancun from 21st June, where do you stay in tulum? we also wanted to drive to tulum and are looking for an apartment with kitchen 

38 minutes ago, Deoiel said:

Hi! I hope everyone is doing well 😊

Someone started a petition for borders to reopen with Europe, I thought you might be interested!

Petition here!

If you could sign it and share it around, that would be fantastic 🙏

I personally cannot spend 15 days abroad so waiting is my only option, I am glad that many of you could do the trip and reunite with family! 🤗

love the idea!!

Timeline
7 hours ago, zrdn2019 said:

What day is your flight next week?

We fly ZAG-BEG on June 19 with a long layover then fly BEG-JFK on June 20.

Croatia is beautiful and the people have been quite kind. With all this immigration craziness, maybe we should stay here!😅😭

So as mentioned earlier, our flight to Cancun Mexico is on the 20th from Frankfurt. I was following the whole thread and saw that lots of you had issues to explain the situation at check-in.

I just want to be prepared and hope all works out. What documents do you usually need to show them to make sure you are allowed to board the flight to Mexico?

Obviously the flight to the US after 14 days right and probably the reservation Mexico. Do you also need to show emails with CBP and Mexican government? Just want to make sure we are prepared.

I saw that most of you have a K-1 visa that have entered so far. My husband and I have L-1 visas and I guess the difference is that we actually already live in the US since a couple years. We are nervous but hope all will be fine!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.