RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
9 minutes ago, dpnce said:

I can't believe I am saying this but I am in Mexico City! 

From beginning to end, overall went quite smooth.

As I had checked in the day before, I just had to drop my suitcase at the luggage drop-off in Paris (CDG). I was asked where I was going to fly and chatted a little bit because I had an excess bagage and the computer was not cooperating. Other than that, first step from Paris was super smooth. Everyone was super nice to me and Air France took care of the travel from Paris to Amsterdam, although we flew with a KLM plane. 

Once in Amsterdam, border police checked my passport and I had to go through another security check for cabin luggage. After that, I waited for my plane to Mexico in Amsterdam's Schiphol airport. Some of the shops were closed but many of them were open. I was able to buy some food and good to go! I carefully followed other VJ members journey with KLM so I made sure to bring a bottle that I filled with water before boarding (only 1 bottle was available for the whole flight to Mexico so I definitely needed it!). We we offered a bag full of snacks and a hot meal for the whole trip. First time I ever flew with KLM and I was pleasantly surprised. It seems like they are doing their best to balance with satisfying customers needs and comply with COVID-19 safety measures. I took some pictures of the "travel" for those looking for some reassurance! 

KLM crew then distributed 2 forms (health form and Mexican immigration form) by asking passengers "Mexican?". I did not understand at first as I was distracted, but then confirmed I was not so I was handed over 2 forms instead of 1. Some people did not understand either and by consequence, some of them had to fill in the form once at the Mexican immigration. They had queued but then had to wait again before passing the border. If you want to gain some time once at the Mexican immigration, make sure you have those 2 forms in hand. The immigration officer asked the purpose of my stay in Mexico, how long for, and the place where I was going to stay. I first said I was going to self-quarantine for 2 weeks and they then asked me the "complete" reason. I then told them that I was going to self-quarantine for 2 weeks at my hotel and then fly to the US. They stamped my passport, my Mexican immigration form and let me go. That was it, quite fast. 

As someone here posted that Uber drivers are not allowed to pick up at the same place as taxis, I asked someone where I should go for Uber. If you plan to go to your airbnb/hotel etc. by Uber, you will have to go to Puerta 7 (Gate 7).

Also, to reassure my fiancé and my family, and just to be on the safe side, I shared my Uber trip with them so they could follow it live. In the Uber app, you just need to click on "share status" and choose the contacts you want to share the trip with! 

I feel safe and I am not really worried about the rising number of cases given that I do not plan on visiting the city and just chill at my hotel and order food online. I feel very lucky and grateful that Mexico allowed me in, therefore I am willing to participate in the ongoing fight against the virus by avoiding unnecessary travels. At the same time, I also hope I will be able to come back to Mexico in the near future, in better circumstances. 

I did not sleep in the flight to avoid being jet-lagged, quite tired now but I am not going to complain. I haven't seen my fiancé since last December and I just can't wait for these 14 days to be over. There's eventually a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck and safe travels if you choose the same route! 

PS: I wanted to thank everyone who shared their experience so far from now as it helped me get better mentally prepared to do this journey by myself. I will be forever thankful to you, thank you so much.

unnamed.jpg

Yayyyyyyy! I am so happy for you! 

14 minutes ago, dpnce said:

As I had checked in the day before, I just had to drop my suitcase at the luggage drop-off in Paris (CDG). I was asked where I was going to fly and chatted a little bit because I had an excess bagage and the computer was not cooperating. Other than that, first step from Paris was super smooth. Everyone was super nice to me and Air France took care of the travel from Paris to Amsterdam, although we flew with a KLM plane. 

Once in Amsterdam, border police checked my passport and I had to go through another security check for cabin luggage. After that, I waited for my plane to Mexico in Amsterdam's Schiphol airport. Some of the shops were closed but many of them were open. I was able to buy some food and good to go! I carefully followed other VJ members journey with KLM so I made sure to bring a bottle that I filled with water before boarding (only 1 bottle was available for the whole flight to Mexico so I definitely needed it!). We we offered a bag full of snacks and a hot meal for the whole trip. First time I ever flew with KLM and I was pleasantly surprised. It seems like they are doing their best to balance with satisfying customers needs and comply with COVID-19 safety measures. I took some pictures of the "travel" for those looking for some reassurance! 

KLM crew then distributed 2 forms (health form and Mexican immigration form) by asking passengers "Mexican?". I did not understand at first as I was distracted, but then confirmed I was not so I was handed over 2 forms instead of 1. Some people did not understand either and by consequence, some of them had to fill in the form once at the Mexican immigration. They had queued but then had to wait again before passing the border. If you want to gain some time once at the Mexican immigration, make sure you have those 2 forms in hand. The immigration officer asked the purpose of my stay in Mexico, how long for, and the place where I was going to stay. I first said I was going to self-quarantine for 2 weeks and they then asked me the "complete" reason. I then told them that I was going to self-quarantine for 2 weeks at my hotel and then fly to the US. They stamped my passport, my Mexican immigration form and let me go. That was it, quite fast. 

As someone here posted that Uber drivers are not allowed to pick up at the same place as taxis, I asked someone where I should go for Uber. If you plan to go to your airbnb/hotel etc. by Uber, you will have to go to Puerta 7 (Gate 7).

Also, to reassure my fiancé and my family, and just to be on the safe side, I shared my Uber trip with them so they could follow it live. In the Uber app, you just need to click on "share status" and choose the contacts you want to share the trip with! 

I feel safe and I am not really worried about the rising number of cases given that I do not plan on visiting the city and just chill at my hotel and order food online. I feel very lucky and grateful that Mexico allowed me in, therefore I am willing to participate in the ongoing fight against the virus by avoiding unnecessary travels. At the same time, I also hope I will be able to come back to Mexico in the near future, in better circumstances. 

I did not sleep in the flight to avoid being jet-lagged, quite tired now but I am not going to complain. I haven't seen my fiancé since last December and I just can't wait for these 14 days to be over. There's eventually a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck and safe travels if you choose the same route! 

PS: I wanted to thank everyone who shared their experience so far from now as it helped me get better mentally prepared to do this journey by myself. I will be forever thankful to you, thank you so much.

unnamed.jpg

Looking at whatever that top-left food was makes me sick again 🤢 

Anyways, congrats!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ja3germeister said:

Looking at whatever that top-left food was makes me sick again 🤢 

Anyways, congrats!

Lmao I saw a bunch of people on the plane dit not eat it 😂 I was curious and tried, it's a dessert, not as bad as it looks but super super sweet!

Thank you!!

Edited by dpnce

On 6/5/2020 at 12:48 PM, ek1357 said:

Hi- is anyone crossing into the US from Mexico this week?

@LaraAndEric have you entered the US now?

My flight Is on Wednesday and 2 weeks feels like a long time I’m Mexico with Covid numbers rising and rising. Really worried about further border closures.. I’m praying they’ve reached their peak now... 

just for who has been wondering about @LaraAndEric I know she made it safely to the United States. She shared her story on Instagram which is how I got to known to this thread : ) 

Edited by pretzelbite

To give more reassurance to all y'all:

I just got off the phone with CBP and they assured me that staying in a non-banned country for 14 days will get you access to the US. Also, the POE does not matter. So I'm relieved I can carefree fly to Orlando :)

9 minutes ago, Ja3germeister said:

I just got off the phone with CBP and they assured me that staying in a non-banned country for 14 days will get you access to the US. Also, the POE does not matter. So I'm relieved I can carefree fly to Orlando :)

I phoned them last Thursday and they confirmed that entering with an ESTA will work too after staying in a non-banned country for 14 days.

37 minutes ago, Ja3germeister said:

Yes, I was about to post the same info. We called Salt Lake City CBP yesterday and received the same information. We changed the plans, not going to Cancun anymore as weather seems to be cloudy and rainy and Mexico City will be pretty clear, so we got a new direct flight from CDMX to SLC. Fiancee arrives tomorrow :) Countdown starts...9 days left to fly to US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
12 hours ago, dpnce said:

unnamed.jpg

Awesome, glad to hear it went smooth for you. Mexico City has Uber eats too for food delivery and Cornershop app for delivering food from Walmart and Costco.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline
13 hours ago, dpnce said:

unnamed.jpg

SO happy for you! 💓

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
On 6/6/2020 at 4:51 PM, SBML said:

I'm here in Cancún since last Monday and already saw a bit of how the climate works. The past few days there was a big storm called Cristobal, and that's why there was a lot of rain and wind here and in a lot of places in Mexico. We're indeed in the hurricane season, but just in the beginning, so the climate varies in very nice days and some mild rain and wind until the start of August until the end of October, so there's not much to worry about. I'm staying in front of the beach were the wind felt strong but nothing bad happened. And today was the total opposite, is a incredibly gorgeous day! I also went to do groceries to the city center during one of those bad days, and there the wind was super chill and everyone was doing normal life.

If I can be of help with anything else let me know! And glad you made it to Mexico!

Hey! Do you mind sharing where you’re staying? I’m curious and happy to hear from you! 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
14 hours ago, Lskifghj said:

Awesome, glad to hear it went smooth for you. Mexico City has Uber eats too for food delivery and Cornershop app for delivering food from Walmart and Costco.

Thank you very much, will have a look at it! Thankfully my hotel is comprised of a restaurant and a bar so I do not really need to order food online :)  Food and drinks onsite, good to go!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.