RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so my husband and I are about to book tickets to Mexico this week and plan to fly end of this week/beginning of next week. How do you feel in Mexico since COVID cases are pretty high. We were waiting for any other country to open, but it feels like even if they open, they are not opening to all countries and second there need to be flights going to the US as well. Mexico really seems like the only logical option. Croatia wont work since Turkish again suspended their flights to the US until June... Aruba is not saying when they open, so really not sure if it is worth waiting. 

How did you manage to book hotels? Did you had trouble to find some in Cancun? We wanted to travel to Cancun but then take a cab to Tulum since it is more quite... please share your experiences so far. We are really worried about the COVID  cases in Mexico.

https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/content/coronavirus-travel-updates/

Just sharing this article. Places like Thailand are opening up to tourist 1 July. Combodia is also open already and you have to get a COVID test upon arrival. Flights from these places are going to the US. I also am still doing lots of research, but maybe this is helpful

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Austria
Timeline
4 hours ago, talia0506 said:

Hey guys, so my husband and I are about to book tickets to Mexico this week and plan to fly end of this week/beginning of next week. How do you feel in Mexico since COVID cases are pretty high. We were waiting for any other country to open, but it feels like even if they open, they are not opening to all countries and second there need to be flights going to the US as well. Mexico really seems like the only logical option. Croatia wont work since Turkish again suspended their flights to the US until June... Aruba is not saying when they open, so really not sure if it is worth waiting. 

How did you manage to book hotels? Did you had trouble to find some in Cancun? We wanted to travel to Cancun but then take a cab to Tulum since it is more quite... please share your experiences so far. We are really worried about the COVID  cases in Mexico.

I opened up this thread and did a lot of research into countries and their travel restrictions and getting a feel for the chatter out in the news media about what lies ahead for international travel in the near. After weeks and spending many hours in this and with the help of those who walked this path ahead of us, I personally concluded that Mexico was the best option at this time. We are here in Mexico City and I must say, despite rises in cases as seen in the news from time to time, the Covid-19 standards for entering the food store is higher than in my home state. You are required to wear mask, they spray your hands with sanitizer before you enter the shopping complex, they spray the shopping carts, and they check your temperature - just to buy groceries. The non essential stores for the most part are closed here and not so many people are out in the streets. Most people wear mask when they are outside. I found a nice flat in Polanco through airbnb for about $50. I read the news everyday to see if Mexico is on the radar for any action from the USA to ban any further travel from there - there is none.  So far, so good. We have another 11 days here.

4 hours ago, talia0506 said:

Everyone wears a mask here. If you want to enter a store they check your temperature and you get hand sanitizer. Honestly you could do groceries for the entire week so you don't have to go out that much, or you could order food on Uber Eats it's incredibly cheap (like €6 for a full meal). Hotels I don't know. I booked an Airbnb.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
5 hours ago, talia0506 said:

Hello. Like you I did some research and Mexico is the most logistically sensible route. I check the news daily for any hint at travel restrictions from Mexico but nothing so far. They have already restricted the land border and there’s very little talk of the air space which gives me some confidence. 
I have booked a hotel, with a large balcony and full kitchen so intend to stay in my room for almost 2 weeks straight if I can! I have emailed the hotel twice to check and double check my reservation and they assure me they are open!

I stuck with Mexico City because In my opinion the flying is the highest risk part in terms of falling ill, so I’d rather just get into my hotel and hide out!

5 minutes ago, ek1357 said:

Hello. Like you I did some research and Mexico is the most logistically sensible route. I check the news daily for any hint at travel restrictions from Mexico but nothing so far. They have already restricted the land border and there’s very little talk of the air space which gives me some confidence. 
I have booked a hotel, with a large balcony and full kitchen so intend to stay in my room for almost 2 weeks straight if I can! I have emailed the hotel twice to check and double check my reservation and they assure me they are open!

I stuck with Mexico City because In my opinion the flying is the highest risk part in terms of falling ill, so I’d rather just get into my hotel and hide out!

ok that is reassuring! what hotel are you staying in?

1 hour ago, Ja3germeister said:

Everyone wears a mask here. If you want to enter a store they check your temperature and you get hand sanitizer. Honestly you could do groceries for the entire week so you don't have to go out that much, or you could order food on Uber Eats it's incredibly cheap (like €6 for a full meal). Hotels I don't know. I booked an Airbnb.

Thank you! that is good to know! are you in Mexico city or cancun now?

1 hour ago, RD7712 said:

I opened up this thread and did a lot of research into countries and their travel restrictions and getting a feel for the chatter out in the news media about what lies ahead for international travel in the near. After weeks and spending many hours in this and with the help of those who walked this path ahead of us, I personally concluded that Mexico was the best option at this time. We are here in Mexico City and I must say, despite rises in cases as seen in the news from time to time, the Covid-19 standards for entering the food store is higher than in my home state. You are required to wear mask, they spray your hands with sanitizer before you enter the shopping complex, they spray the shopping carts, and they check your temperature - just to buy groceries. The non essential stores for the most part are closed here and not so many people are out in the streets. Most people wear mask when they are outside. I found a nice flat in Polanco through airbnb for about $50. I read the news everyday to see if Mexico is on the radar for any action from the USA to ban any further travel from there - there is none.  So far, so good. We have another 11 days here.

Yeah this seems like the only possible option for the moment and it gives me reassurance that so many have done it successfully here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, talia0506 said:

ok that is reassuring! what hotel are you staying in?

It is the Hyatt House Santa Fe. The studio rooms have balconies if you are happy to pay a little more. I felt that with a balcony I can catch the sun and try my best to relax without having to go out :) 

8 hours ago, talia0506 said:

Well, I have been in Mexico City for 6 days now...it seems fine. I saw everyone wearing marks everywhere, they are checking temperature in every single shop you go...people here seem to be very conscious about the situation keeping their distance and wearing masks! As I already posted before, my experience coming to Mexico was very smooth and I had no issues at all leaving France or at Mexico Immigration (they actually asked me nothing, not even why I was coming to Mexico)! 

Hotels were booked without any problem, they all seem to be doing extra work on the cleaning. I got a really nice apartment in Polanco and booked 1 week all-inclusive in Cancun with my fiancee. We are meeting in Cancun on the 11th and flying to US on18th.

Mexico is great! We were in Cancun last year and had a ball. Not sure how it will be this year with the current situation, but sure we will have a great time by the pool and eating a lot haha 

Reading the news today, EU extended it travel ban until 1st July and will lift it slowly after that. US did not make any new comment about lifting its ban on EU, so if reciprocal, I do not see the ban being lifted before that. Also, cases in Mexico are increasing by 3.5k daily, so I would not think much longer before things get too bad and a new ban comes about!  I regret not have made the decision to come to Mexico sooner, but I guess everything has its right time to happen :) 

6 hours ago, talia0506 said:

https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/content/coronavirus-travel-updates/

Just sharing this article. Places like Thailand are opening up to tourist 1 July. Combodia is also open already and you have to get a COVID test upon arrival. Flights from these places are going to the US. I also am still doing lots of research, but maybe this is helpful

My K1 expires on 5th July so I had to act fast, but if you have more time and can actually quarantine in Thailand/Cambodia it would be amazing, these countries are simply amazing, you might want to stay there instead of moving to US haha. 

3 hours ago, ek1357 said:

Yes, land borders are closed and there is actually no talk about closing the air space so just pack your bags and come! :) 

Positive thinking is the key! You will not get sick on the plane, you will enjoy your stay in Mexico without having to be locked in your room for 2 weeks and you will make to US just fine! 

I got a place even with swimming pool and gym, and I am having a great time here!! 

1 minute ago, RFOM said:

Yes, land borders are closed and there is actually no talk about closing the air space so just pack your bags and come! :) 

Positive thinking is the key! You will not get sick on the plane, you will enjoy your stay in Mexico without having to be locked in your room for 2 weeks and you will make to US just fine! 

I got a place even with swimming pool and gym, and I am having a great time here!! 

You have an Airbnb? Because I found one that also had a gym and a swimming pool and when I contacted the host she told me both were closed due to corona

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.