RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Robin Redemsky said:

I was about to buy my fiancé a ticket today but decided not to. I spoke with a coworker from Mexico today and she said Mexico City is pretty dangerous if you’re not from there because you stick out like a sore thumb. I’d rather my fiancé be safe and alive with an expired visa at this point. 

That's very gentleman from you. She is lucky you care that much

I have not been able to find it anywhere online, but the locals here told me today that the government has announced that they will NOT be reopening to tourism on June 1 and that it is now up to each individual state to decide their further steps.
So, those of you with booked hotels in Cancun in June, I’d check with them if they can honour your reservations, otherwise I’d recommend getting a rental instead (Airbnb or others, just contact the owners or managers directly and ask them, that’s what we did).

2 hours ago, Robin Redemsky said:

I was about to buy my fiancé a ticket today but decided not to. I spoke with a coworker from Mexico today and she said Mexico City is pretty dangerous if you’re not from there because you stick out like a sore thumb. I’d rather my fiancé be safe and alive with an expired visa at this point. 

That’s what everybody has told me about Mexico City as well and that’s why we stayed just one night there in airport Hilton (directly in the terminal, no need to set foot outside at night) and then flew to Puerto Vallarta next day. I do feel safe here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 hours ago, Robin Redemsky said:

Depends where you stay I guess like anywhere.

It seems a little different to what I am used to - but not that different to Spain.

I couldn't look less Mexican at 6ft 4, grey beard and hair down past my shoulders.

No one has given me a second look.

I ask my BnB hosts where is safe and follow their lead.

Perhaps its not for everyone. But for me, all I wanted was 14 day stay, hunker down, speak to almost no-one - leave.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
54 minutes ago, Smokey Bear said:

Depends where you stay I guess like anywhere.

It seems a little different to what I am used to - but not that different to Spain.

I couldn't look less Mexican at 6ft 4, grey beard and hair down past my shoulders.

No one has given me a second look.

I ask my BnB hosts where is safe and follow their lead.

Perhaps its not for everyone. But for me, all I wanted was 14 day stay, hunker down, speak to almost no-one - leave.

Polanco and surroundings do look like Spain a little. Everything else did not at all ahahaha.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Austria
Timeline
2 hours ago, thisguyflies said:

Ok, everyone, let's try to learn something from my experience.

Here's what I've deduced from what happened to me and what I advise everyone with plans on flying to Mexico does:

1. Go to your countries largest, capital international airport

It's obvious that there's a communication breakdown between the airports, check in operators and airlines. Interestingly, I found out that KLM operate out of Manchester via Stobart Air. There's evidently some chain of command confusion going on here. I'm really not sure how other UK airports operate, but London might have actual KLM staff at the airport who are more knowledgeable. If you're not in the UK, see if you can find out which company represents KLM at your airport. 

2. Don't overwhelm the check-in staff with information as they might get confused

I'd advise trying to make things simple and not pull out endless documentation when you arrive. Certainly have it ready, but only use it if you need it. You don't want to cause concern to someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. Just hope that they don't question it.

3. Do not mention"tourism" ever to anyone. Explain that you're meeting your fiancee in Mexico (even if they don't have a flight booked)

If you put an emphasis on this, and crucially use the word "family" (unfortunate grey area with being a fiancee), you might stand a better chance to not be lumped in as a "tourist".

4. Try to bypass talking to check in staff if at all possible

If you can travel with only carry on (12kg with KLM, small bag) and don't check any baggage, print out your boarding card and print out and complete the health form, you'll can probably skip talking to check in staff and go through security. You're very likely to encounter questions at the gate (perhaps by the same staff at check in), but this at least brings you one step closer to boarding.

Note: This is speculation on my part. I spoke with somebody at the airport who told me I would be able to do this, but use your own discretion and do what you feel is best if you think you really need to talk with them at the check in desk.

5. Get lucky and don't be unlucky

From what I've gathered from my experience and reading what happened with other users experiences on here, there's really zero guarantee anything is going to work. I know we're all sick of our lives being put in the hands of fate like this, but this is a roll of the dice depending on the people you speak to who are the only ones who can allow you to do this. The system is in shattered pieces and we sadly have to rely on luck.

I truly believe if you follow these steps, you stand the best chance of this working out for you.  All else I an offer is some good luck and my appreciation for the help.

INFORMATION RESOURCE:

Image link to the Mexican Embassy Message on travel - source: https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/alemania/index.php/de/

Mexico US Embassy Travel Fact Sheet (first Q&A answer):

https://mx.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/

Image link: Consulate Email via @Ja3germeister

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) Interactive Coronavirus Travel Regulations Map showing open air boarders in Mexico

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I'm going to post this as it's own thread for visibility) 

Can you elaborate a bit on #3, please? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, RD7712 said:

Can you elaborate a bit on #3, please? 

Sure, I can try, but this is the most complicated and unstable part to understand.

It seems that mentioning "tourism", "visiting as a tourist", "staying in Mexico" or stating that "Mexico is open to tourism" is a red flag for them. Given what I've been told, and seeing the rumours @ohohoho mentioned; there's something floating around the immigration authorities and airlines right now about tourism being denied. There's no official statements, though and the whole thing is going off hearsay and undisclosed information. 

I would suggest that you be openly vague (contradictory, I know, but allow me to explain😞

Let's say they ask why you're traveling -Tell them you're meeting your fiancee (wife/family to be) in Mexico. That's why you're traveling. They might ask if your fiancee is Mexican, so just be honest about that and say no, they're American, but you're meeting them in Mexico to reunite. In reality, your fiancee might not have travel plans to go to Mexico, but as far as they need to know they will be. I can see this as potentially giving some ray of hope to bypass the "tourism" aspect since you're not a holidaymaker or going on a vacation. You're going for family.

Please understand that I'm not an immigration lawyer and the advice i'm providing here comes from the experiences I've had the past two days. The whole thing is a gigantic mess.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Austria
Timeline
7 minutes ago, thisguyflies said:

Sure, I can try, but this is the most complicated and unstable part to understand.

It seems that mentioning "tourism", "visiting as a tourist", "staying in Mexico" or stating that "Mexico is open to tourism" is a red flag for them. Given what I've been told, and seeing the rumours @ohohoho mentioned; there's something floating around the immigration authorities and airlines right now about tourism being denied. There's no official statements, though and the whole thing is going off hearsay and undisclosed information. 

I would suggest that you be openly vague (contradictory, I know, but allow me to explain😞

Let's say they ask why you're traveling -Tell them you're meeting your fiancee (wife/family to be) in Mexico. That's why you're traveling. They might ask if your fiancee is Mexican, so just be honest about that and say no, they're American, but you're meeting them in Mexico to reunite. In reality, your fiancee might not have travel plans to go to Mexico, but as far as they need to know they will be. I can see this as potentially giving some ray of hope to bypass the "tourism" aspect since you're not a holidaymaker or going on a vacation. You're going for family.

Please understand that I'm not an immigration lawyer and the advice i'm providing here comes from the experiences I've had the past two days. The whole thing is a gigantic mess.

Thank you so much! My fiancee will simply say she going to see her husband-to-be! 

Edited by RD7712

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I just booked a flight from Amsterdam to Mexico City for June 17th. I will stay there for 4 nights and fly to Cancun on the 21st 🙂 It is a refundable ticket, so if Trump lifts the travel ban, I can still cancel my flights and my hotels are refundable as well.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Ja3germeister said:

@Smokey Bear how was the flight from Amsterdam to Mexico? Was it similar to @ohohoho's flight experience? 

Flight was fine.

Wear masks.

No booze.

1 hot meal.

No biggie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
4 minutes ago, dannie xox said:

I really feel positive about Trump lifting the travel ban real soon, hopefully we can all be with our loved ones whether it be directly or via another country :D

It’s just a matter of time till things get back to somewhat more normal. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
5 minutes ago, dannie xox said:

I really feel positive about Trump lifting the travel ban real soon, hopefully we can all be with our loved ones whether it be directly or via another country :D

I really hope so too!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.