RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
31 minutes ago, thisguyflies said:

Ok...let me tell you what's been happening today.

I arrived back at Manchester airport this morning at 7:00am with all my evidence for travel being open to Mexico. I spoke with the KLM representative about what happened yesterday. They were understanding, and could see that I had the evidence to show. The person I spoke with yesterday was not there, but they said they'd contact them today about what happened, as one of the big problems was that my booking had no notes on it about refunding my ticket (like they told me it would.) They checked my booking and amended the note about the refund. I was then able to get their personal number, and couldn't do much but wait back home when they knew more from the person yesterday who wasn't there now.

A few hours pass, and I get a call from them saying that the reason I can't travel is this email update KLM have supposedly received from "immigration" (unspecified). I asked for a copy of this email, which they only allowed a short portion of as it's an "internal email" blah...

Here's what it said:

"  Dear [name]

According to immigration, they state the following:

·         The country is not open for tourism 

·         A select number of hotels are open for essential guest (like our crew hotels)

·         Passengers do not have enough documentation to prove the purpose of their stay in MEX

According to this message from the Mexican immigration, if there is a passenger travelling for tourism purposes they would be refused.

Your travel with KLM would be classified as tourism. This is due to you staying in Mexico for at least 14 days before continuing your journey. Hence your reason for travel would not be valid to enter Mexico.

I hope this helps. 

Kind regards
[name]   "

Confusion is all I feel at this point. I am literally holding the information saying the country is open for tourism. I have accommodation through a friend's personal apartment, not a hotel. I have the K1 visa and flight out of Mexico booked along with a lot evidence from consulates, embassy's etc. What on earth is going on??

I call KLM again. Eventually get through to someone and first explain the refund and guess what? Again, no notes on the booking stating a full refund. I have a recording of my phone conversation saying that I can...but anyway....I give KLM the phone number they gave me at Manchester airport and who to talk with. They call them. After a while on hold again, they confirm that I am getting a refund (it's processing, so let's wait and see how successful that is, but I got a confirmation email).

Ok, so hopefully that's sorted out, but what about the Mexico travel situation that they're talking about in this email? I ask about that, and the response is one gigantic confusing mess. To sum up: they say it would be the airport's policy on restricting the travel...except the airport told me to call KLM who tell me to ask the airport who tell me to ask KLM...around and around in circles I go. I try to get some form of official statement from them, which they can't do. They suggest I write to them requesting something like that...

This is ridiculous. Nobody has any idea what's going on at all and nobody can help me. I'm certain this mysterious email is not real. It's not truthful to the immigration laws in Mexico.

Moreover, I see how @Kaatje's partner had the same journey successfully? I'm happy for them, but where's the consistency of information? The only real difference I can see is Manchester Airport being brainless...but with this email from supposed "immigration" within KLM I have no idea what to think anymore.

Where my thinking is at now: pray that UK > US borders open soon as implied here or book another flight to Mexico some other time but 100% NOT from Manchester. Either London or finding an alternate route to Amsterdam if I can....

I just want to be with my fiancee, I miss her so much.

When I was at the airport in Mexico City waiting at immigration I met a guy who was there to quarantine as well that had a work visa to enter the US. He traveled from London-Ams-Mex City with KLM without a problem. I believe if you traveled from London you most likely wouldn’t have that problem

32 minutes ago, thisguyflies said:

I arrived back at Manchester airport this morning at 7:00am with all my evidence for travel being open to Mexico. I spoke with the KLM representative about what happened yesterday. They were understanding, and could see that I had the evidence to show. The person I spoke with yesterday was not there, but they said they'd contact them today about what happened, as one of the big problems was that my booking had no notes on it about refunding my ticket (like they told me it would.) They checked my booking and amended the note about the refund. I was then able to get their personal number, and couldn't do much but wait back home when they knew more from the person yesterday who wasn't there now.

A few hours pass, and I get a call from them saying that the reason I can't travel is this email update KLM have supposedly received from "immigration" (unspecified). I asked for a copy of this email, which they only allowed a short portion of as it's an "internal email" blah...

Here's what it said:

"  Dear [name]

·         A select number of hotels are open for essential guest (like our crew hotels)

·         Passengers do not have enough documentation to prove the purpose of their stay in MEX

According to this message from the Mexican immigration, if there is a passenger travelling for tourism purposes they would be refused.

Your travel with KLM would be classified as tourism. This is due to you staying in Mexico for at least 14 days before continuing your journey. Hence your reason for travel would not be valid to enter Mexico.

I hope this helps. 

Kind regards
[name]   "

Confusion is all I feel at this point. I am literally holding the information saying the country is open for tourism. I have accommodation through a friend's personal apartment, not a hotel. I have the K1 visa and flight out of Mexico booked along with a lot evidence from consulates, embassy's etc. What on earth is going on??

I call KLM again. Eventually get through to someone and first explain the refund and guess what? Again, no notes on the booking stating a full refund. I have a recording of my phone conversation saying that I can...but anyway....I give KLM the phone number they gave me at Manchester airport and who to talk with. They call them. After a while on hold again, they confirm that I am getting a refund (it's processing, so let's wait and see how successful that is, but I got a confirmation email).

Ok, so hopefully that's sorted out, but what about the Mexico travel situation that they're talking about in this email? I ask about that, and the response is one gigantic confusing mess. To sum up: they say it would be the airport's policy on restricting the travel...except the airport told me to call KLM who tell me to ask the airport who tell me to ask KLM...around and around in circles I go. I try to get some form of official statement from them, which they can't do. They suggest I write to them requesting something like that...

This is ridiculous. Nobody has any idea what's going on at all and nobody can help me. I'm certain this mysterious email is not real. It's not truthful to the immigration laws in Mexico.

Moreover, I see how @Kaatje's partner had the same journey successfully? I'm happy for them, but where's the consistency of information? The only real difference I can see is Manchester Airport being brainless...but with this email from supposed "immigration" within KLM I have no idea what to think anymore.

Where my thinking is at now: pray that UK > US borders open soon as implied here or book another flight to Mexico some other time but 100% NOT from Manchester. Either London or finding an alternate route to Amsterdam if I can....

Very frustrating... 

Attached is an email from the Mexican embassy I received today. So you can also use this to counter KLM's bs claims. Tell them you'll take your chances in Mexico and demand to be boarded

Screenshot_20200529-141938.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Austria
Timeline

I feel terrible you went through this and also scary for my fiancee who would be traveling next week. Looks like Manchester Airport is not a go for whatever strange reason. 

The news of Trump to open up Europe for travel here is the news we are hopeful to come soon.  There was mention he wants to have the G7 summit here in USA in June. Disney World and other parks are opening in June/July here in Florida. He mentioned there would be further announcements of countries including Europe after he spoke about he implemented a ban on Brazil. 

When we travel to Mexico next week I will have a back up plan in place in the case Mexico gets banned, though I doubt it since he already placed restrictions on the land border. But you never know. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
39 minutes ago, thisguyflies said:

Here's what it said:

"  Dear [name]

I hope this helps. 

Kind regards
[name]   "

What reason did you tell them for your stay in Mexico? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
1 hour ago, thisguyflies said:

He's not my partner but another VJ member 🙃😄

He flew from London so it looks like Manchester was being difficult for no reason and now KLM is trying to justify their actions? I agree with Ela, you should try London, they only asked @Smokey Bear1 question and he was good to go.

Edited by Kaatje

1 hour ago, thisguyflies said:

Here's what it said:

"  Dear [name]

I hope this helps. 

Kind regards
[name]   "

I really feel sorry for you. You really got unlucky with a bunch of idiots. We flew a week ago and nobody ever asked us anything at all except for the guy in immigration in MEX. Klm didn’t ask at all, not even once, though I did see some people getting questioned at the gate in AMS. We flew in business, maybe they didn’t ask because of that, I really don’t know. However, another passenger on the plane told me it’s important to tell the immigration something else than tourism, like visiting friends and family. So in immigration I told them we’re staying in a friend’s house for 2 weeks and then going to the US, he asked me again, I repeated it and then he filled something on the form, checked “other” and not tourism in the boxes for reason of stay and stamped us in.

I’m pretty sure if you tell KLM that you’re going to your fiancé in Mexico, they should be fine with that.

Alternatively, wait a few weeks to see if anything opens up, but I doubt Trump will lift the travel ban unless EU does it first.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Smokey Bear said:

I was asked simple questions at luggage drop off and was told there are no resrictions in Mexico itself.

Would you mind sharing the "simple questions" you were asked? 

So now it appears that saying one is going to stay with friends and family is better than self-quarantining? So confusing. 

In any case, thanks a lot for sharing and good luck for the rest of your journey! 

Timeline
31 minutes ago, dpnce said:

So now it appears that saying one is going to stay with friends and family is better than self-quarantining? So confusing. 

In any case, thanks a lot for sharing and good luck for the rest of your journey! 

Just say anything but tourism. But it sounds like tourism is ok starting 6/1. It also sounds like it is a hit or miss with the people at the airport. Some have knowledge, some don’t. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lskifghj said:

Just say anything but tourism. But it sounds like tourism is ok starting 6/1. It also sounds like it is a hit or miss with the people at the airport. Some have knowledge, some don’t. 

I mean dont say tourism if it is not. Be honest and don’t be too vague. Tell them about your true intentions to be reunited with family and that you’re in Mexico to self isolate. If you say all this but also say tourism they might misunderstand that it is tourism (language barrier). Say family reasons because that is what it really is. You’re not in Mexico for fun, the real reason is your fiancé. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Took a nap, as i'm pretty exhausted from all this and have been barely sleeping.

@Ela S. @Kaatje Yes, if and when I try this journey again I will be leaving from London. I would suggest anyone leaving the UK to go there and not risk any other airport.

@Ja3germeister Thanks for sharing the email. I had a very similar email from the Mexican Consulate in London saying virtually the same thing that I showed to them at the airport. Didn't matter much to them. I tried my best to be let through and boarded, but when they say "no", there's not much else you can do except keep trying and keep being told "no".

@RD7712 Yes, absolutely 100% DO NOT GO VIA MANCHESTER AIRPORT. Do whatever it takes to get to London and depart to AMS from there.

@LskifghjI told/showed them my K1 visa, and explained and provided evidence that I had contacted the Mexican and US authorities who told me I can do it. Explained that I was staying at a friends apartment and provided contact information. I showed evidence of my flight out of Mexico after 15 days. I never once mentioned tourism, but that's what they were labeling the purpose of my travel no matter what I did or said to support my reasons for travel.

I'm certain from @Smokey Bear's story that I would have been allowed entry into Mexico if they'd have let me on. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, thisguyflies said:

Took a nap, as i'm pretty exhausted from all this and have been barely sleeping.

@Ela S. @Kaatje Yes, if and when I try this journey again I will be leaving from London. I would suggest anyone leaving the UK to go there and not risk any other airport.

@Ja3germeister Thanks for sharing the email. I had a very similar email from the Mexican Consulate in London saying virtually the same thing that I showed to them at the airport. Didn't matter much to them. I tried my best to be let through and boarded, but when they say "no", there's not much else you can do except keep trying and keep being told "no".

@RD7712 Yes, absolutely 100% DO NOT GO VIA MANCHESTER AIRPORT. Do whatever it takes to get to London and depart to AMS from there.

@LskifghjI told/showed them my K1 visa, and explained and provided evidence that I had contacted the Mexican and US authorities who told me I can do it. Explained that I was staying at a friends apartment and provided contact information. I showed evidence of my flight out of Mexico after 15 days. I never once mentioned tourism, but that's what they were labeling the purpose of my travel no matter what I did or said to support my reasons for travel.

I'm certain from @Smokey Bear's story that I would have been allowed entry into Mexico if they'd have let me on. 

That really sucks, hopefully you’ll have more luck next time.  :(  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lskifghj said:

I mean dont say tourism if it is not. Be honest and don’t be too vague. Tell them about your true intentions to be reunited with family and that you’re in Mexico to self isolate. If you say all this but also say tourism they might misunderstand that it is tourism (language barrier). Say family reasons because that is what it really is. You’re not in Mexico for fun, the real reason is your fiancé. 

Thank you so much, you are always super helpful and I had to tell you that I really appreciate it. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
3 hours ago, dpnce said:

Why are you going? (UK Airport)

Why are you here (Mexico Airport)

That was it.

Really.

Kept answers shirt and sweet - to the point if they wanted more info I had it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
On 5/28/2020 at 8:03 AM, RD7712 said:

This is very disturbing news. My fiancee's flight and mine are in one week. She quit her job and her flat for next week. No where to go once she goes to the airport. Now I am stressed. 

I was about to buy my fiancé a ticket today but decided not to. I spoke with a coworker from Mexico today and she said Mexico City is pretty dangerous if you’re not from there because you stick out like a sore thumb. I’d rather my fiancé be safe and alive with an expired visa at this point. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.