RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
38 minutes ago, thisguyflies said:

Hi, everyone. I've been monitoring this thread very closely for quite some time and want to share some vital new information on the Mexico travel route that people with a K1 visa are considering.

As I type this, I am literally just back from the airport.

Long story short: KLM DIDN'T ALLOW ME TO BOARD THE FLIGHT. My planned route was Manchester (UK) > AMS > MEX and after trying my best and talking with them for around 1hr 30min, they didn't allow me through.

Here's what I experienced at check in:

I arrived super early, as I guessed something like this would happen; needing a discussion.

I explained what my plans were. I showed them the K1 visa in my passport and two emails I received from the Mexican consulate in the UK saying I can travel and an email from CBP (bit of a copy paste job from them...).

I had a flight booked from Mexico to the US for 12th June (to Oakland, CA), which I showed them the conformation for.

The lady at check-in was very nice about it, but was talking with her colleagues about the validity of my travel. They weren't sure what was allowed, despite me explaining the situation.

They called up Amsterdam airport to talk with somebody who handles immigration for KLM and explained the situation.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: OVER THE WEEKEND, THEY HAD AN UPDATE FROM THE MEXICAN IMMIGRATION AUTHORITY ON WHAT CONSTITUTES AS NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL. ACCORDING TO THEM, THIS UPDAT STATED THAT STAYING IN MEXICO FOR THE 14 DAY PERIOD BEFORE TRAVELING TO THE USA IS NOT ALLOWED AND NOT CONSIDERED ESSENTIAL.

Sadly, this option doesn't seem like a possibility anymore.

They really tried to help me. They sent a photo of my K1 to Amsterdam and even suggested a direct flight to the USA might work...but another call to KLM immigration in Amsterdam told us that this wasn't enough for

This is very strange because someone else boarded a KLM flight to Mexico city and just landed in Amsterdam for his connecting flight. He had no trouble at all. He flew from London.

Just now, Kaatje said:

This is very strange because someone else boarded a KLM flight to Mexico city and just landed in Amsterdam for his connecting flight. He had no trouble at all. He flew from London.

Did he fly today?

Also, I just got off the phone with the Mexican embassy here in the Netherlands and the representative told me that there are indeed no travel restrictions. However, she couldn't guarantee me that I would be allowed to enter as it all depends on what the person as customs (in Mexico) decides. Since I have a work visa for the US, she advised me to bring all papers and the plane tickets to the US for evidence and that should work, but still couldn't guarantee anything. So seems it suddenly is a risk now idk

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Kaatje said:

Strange indeed. Unfortunately, there really was no convincing them despite my best efforts.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ja3germeister said:

Did he fly today?

Also, I just got off the phone with the Mexican embassy here in the Netherlands and the representative told me that there are indeed no travel restrictions. However, she couldn't guarantee me that I would be allowed to enter as it all depends on what the person as customs (in Mexico) decides. Since I have a work visa for the US, she advised me to bring all papers and the plane tickets to the US for evidence and that should work, but still couldn't guarantee anything. So seems it suddenly is a risk now idk

Yes he is flying today. He literally landed in Amsterdam 10 minutes ago.

Edited by Kaatje

Just now, Kaatje said:

Hmmm. Maybe KLM overbooked their flight and just chose the person with the least essential reason for travel to not board? Airlines always overbook their flight and especially now they need the money. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ja3germeister said:

Hmmm. Maybe KLM overbooked their flight and just chose the person with the least essential reason for travel to not board? Airlines always overbook their flight and especially now they need the money. 

I booked a flight with Aeromexico for June 20th. Flying from Amsterdam. These contradicting boarding experiences give me a knot in my stomach 😕

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ja3germeister said:

Possibly, but I doubt it. I was checked in, had a seat reserved and arrived very early.

The main lines they told me were:

"They had an update from Mexico immigration over the weekend not allowing any non-essential travel"

"There's been too many people sent back from Mexico already"

"The K1 visa doesn't convince the Mexican authorities of anything"

Timeline

Sorry for the double post:

For what it's worth, if you have a flight booked already, I suggest you still go for it. Worst that happens is you end up back where you started like I did and who knows? You might have more luck than me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Just now, thisguyflies said:

Sorry for the double post:

For what it's worth, if you have a flight booked already, I suggest you still go for it. Worst that happens is you end up back where you started like I did and who knows? You might have more luck than me.

I checked the Mexican immigration, embassy, consulate websites and didn’t see that info. They all still say tourists can travel to Mexico without restrictions and they’re about to open back up. This is strange. Last weekend they did extend land border restrictions though. Maybe the folks you spoke with have no clue. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Lskifghj said:

I checked the Mexican immigration, embassy, consulate websites and didn’t see that info. They all still say tourists can travel to Mexico without restrictions and they’re about to open back up. This is strange. Last weekend they did extend land border restrictions though. Maybe the folks you spoke with have no clue. 

Yep, on paper it's all clear for me too. I had the documents to show for it, too. Apparently it's this "confidential" email that explains why I can't go. I asked for more information on what that is, but they wouldn't tell me as it's a super duper secret.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, thisguyflies said:

Yep, on paper it's all clear for me too. I had the documents to show for it, too. Apparently it's this "confidential" email that explains why I can't go. I asked for more information on what that is, but they wouldn't tell me as it's a super duper secret.

Is there a different flight soon? Can you try again with a different group?

4 minutes ago, thisguyflies said:

Honestly I think it all depends on the people at the airport. One person could be super strict and the other the complete opposite. Like you said, if you booked a flight just go for it. That's what I'm doing. Anything can happen, good or bad. One way to find out

37 minutes ago, Kaatje said:

Does he have a K-1 as well? Or a different visa?

And keep us updated on his situation please!

Edited by Ja3germeister

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Lskifghj said:

Is there a different flight soon? Can you try again with a different group?

I think what I'm going to do now is wait and try this again end of July / start of August and try to accumulate some (even more) impressive, official looking documentation saying it's good. My visa expires 2nd Sept, so I have time on my side for now.

I'm disappointed, but at least I can say I tried.

Timeline
Just now, thisguyflies said:

I think what I'm going to do now is wait and try this again end of July / start of August and try to accumulate some (even more) impressive, official looking documentation saying it's good. My visa expires 2nd Sept, so I have time on my side for now.

I'm disappointed, but at least I can say I tried.

Sorry to hear you had to go through this bad experience. You probably got unlucky with idiots at work. Your documents were already impressive. It sounds like it is just a hit or miss with the workers. Yes, you’re lucky you have time on your side. Or maybe try a different country and flight? Croatia via Turkey? (If you can find a flight)

1 hour ago, thisguyflies said:

Hi, everyone. I've been monitoring this thread very closely for quite some time and want to share some vital new information on the Mexico travel route that people with a K1 visa are considering.

As I type this, I am literally just back from the airport.

Long story short: KLM DIDN'T ALLOW ME TO BOARD THE FLIGHT. My planned route was Manchester (UK) > AMS > MEX and after trying my best and talking with them for around 1hr 30min, they didn't allow me through.

Here's what I experienced at check in:

I arrived super early, as I guessed something like this would happen; needing a discussion.

I explained what my plans were. I showed them the K1 visa in my passport and two emails I received from the Mexican consulate in the UK saying I can travel and an email from CBP (bit of a copy paste job from them...).

I had a flight booked from Mexico to the US for 12th June (to Oakland, CA), which I showed them the conformation for.

The lady at check-in was very nice about it, but was talking with her colleagues about the validity of my travel. They weren't sure what was allowed, despite me explaining the situation.

They called up Amsterdam airport to talk with somebody who handles immigration for KLM and explained the situation.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: OVER THE WEEKEND, THEY HAD AN UPDATE FROM THE MEXICAN IMMIGRATION AUTHORITY ON WHAT CONSTITUTES AS NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL. ACCORDING TO THEM, THIS UPDAT STATED THAT STAYING IN MEXICO FOR THE 14 DAY PERIOD BEFORE TRAVELING TO THE USA IS NOT ALLOWED AND NOT CONSIDERED ESSENTIAL.

Sadly, this option doesn't seem like a possibility anymore.

They really tried to help me. They sent a photo of my K1 to Amsterdam and even suggested a direct flight to the USA might work...but another call to KLM immigration in Amsterdam told us that this wasn't enough for entry either.

So, I'm back where I started. I can at least say that I tried. My visa expires in 2nd Sept, so my best hope is for flights to resume before then. Past that, hopefully a re-issuance is successful.

I understand that this might be frustrating for those with things booked like I did, but I hope it can help somebody out.

Attached is proof of my tickets [PERSONAL INFO REDACTED] if you needed to see that I'm very serious about this.

My boarding pass from MAN > AMS > MEX

1242633785_Ticketsproof1.thumb.png.d1377a1ec2ad35c69dd657d6e911ec26.png

My flight confirmation from MEX > USA

1682701824_Ticketsproof2.thumb.png.39a2b5dac0655764a27e0f1d0b81dd72.png

My email from the Mexico consulate

1553443975_MEXEmail.thumb.png.2a655c51e3925639783e6c06b09f06ef.png

My email from CBP

1611124454_CBPEmail.thumb.PNG.75d05cdd01dff9f6fa4b274925f4eb04.PNG

(Oh, and consider my username ironic now...I made it a few days ago hoping the provide an update from journey to Mexico.)

Good luck, everyone.

Oh wow this is insane! So far no one had issues to enter, I dont understand why they did not let you board. Or did anyone else encounter those problems? I think people always had discussions, but were always able to board. Especially since Mexico is opening up officially.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.