RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Leah88 said:

So you’re not going to Cancun? Congrats on booking your ticket!

Thank you! No I'd love to but I just don't want to be dealing with layovers in a time like this. I'd much rather fly non-stop to Mexico-City and just start 14 days of isolation

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I just called the Mexican Embassy in Washington DC and I was told unless you have to go to Mexico for a medical emergency (citizens only) or you’re there for work, you’re not considered essential and therefore they won’t let you in. I asked about certain regions opening up and she said that’s only for certain travelers, not European ones. I know someone here was able to get to the US thru Mexico, but it sounds like it’s not possible to go to Mexico right now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Robin Redemsky said:

I just called the Mexican Embassy in Washington DC and I was told unless you have to go to Mexico for a medical emergency (citizens only) or you’re there for work, you’re not considered essential and therefore they won’t let you in. I asked about certain regions opening up and she said that’s only for certain travelers, not European ones. I know someone here was able to get to the US thru Mexico, but it sounds like it’s not possible to go to Mexico right now.

Did they specify if its for landborders and/or flights? As for as I know that rule only applies for the landborders.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Robin Redemsky said:

People have been entering Mexico without a problem! They literally want to open up for tourism asap there would be no point to not let them in now. They might just be talking about land borders as well

Edited by Ela S.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Robin Redemsky said:

The German embassy in Mexico told me there are no restrictions and it is ok to enter. That was last week. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Robin Redemsky said:

If this helps, hereinbelow you will find some successful entries by air into Mexico, along with some advice to prepare the travel: 

On 5/6/2020 at 5:11 PM, Ela S. said:

So I’m going to tell how the whole check-in, boarding and Immigration went. When I arrived to the KLM check-in desks in Madrid airport the lady asked me what I was going to do in Mexico City. I said I was going to visit a friend (which is true I guess because I’m staying with a family friend) and she said I can’t travel because that’s a “leisure” trip. I told her the borders in Mexico were open to tourism and she didn’t believe me and she kept saying “Well that could change in a day or even hours”. When I explained to her that I was traveling to the US from Mexico City she had me show her my K1 visa and the confirmation email for my flight to the US. She had me waiting about 20 minutes while she asked like 5 colleagues and researched it online because she clearly was clueless about the borders in Mexico (great professionalism). Finally after 20 minutes of literally thinking I was going to have to Uber back home she came back and told me I can go and gave me my boarding pass. I had to fill in a health questionnaire as well during check-in. When it was time to board there was again people asking everyone what they were doing in Mexico. This man didn’t want to let me board because (AGAIN) he was saying Mexico isn’t open for tourism. I then told him I wasn’t going for tourism and showed him my K1 visa on my passport and that I was just flying to the US from Mexico. I had to show him my flight to the US for him to let me board. When I finally sat on the plane I truly couldn’t believe it ahahah. When I landed in Amsterdam for my layover that was a breeze compared to Madrid. I got no questions asked during passport control besides “Where are you headed?”. Once I landed in Mexico City that was a whole different story. I waited in line for Immigration and I got sent for a secondary check. I told them what I was going to do this trip and it seemed like they knew about the “2 week” quarantine for europeans because I was actually not the only one coming for that purpose in my flight. He asked me if I intended to adjust status once I got to the US with my visa and I said “Uuhh.. I guess? but months later”. After all these questions I got sent into a room full of what seemed to be all the foreigners that were in my flight... We were mostly all from Europe. And I met this other Irish girl and British guy who were doing exactly like me. They both had work visas and were just traveling to Mexico to quarantine. We weren’t allowed to have our phones out and they made us fill a really long form about what we were going to do in Mexico and who we were staying with and what activities we were planning on doing. People from that room were getting called into an even smaller room for a short interview. And this wasn’t based on who arrived into the room first... This was based on how complex your case was... So I was freaking out a little because I was called in about 2 hours later. Once I went in I got told to sit down and this lady came and started asking me (again) what I was going to do here in Mexico so I explained to her that I was just staying at a friends house to quarantine and be able to fly to the US. I also told her my fiancé was coming on the 18th. She looked at my visa and asked me to show her my flight to the US. She then told me I could go back to the waiting room. About 5 minutes later I got called and I left the waiting room back into the immigration desk outside and a man stamped my passport and told me “Welcome to Mexico” and I honestly couldn’t believe it because I saw quite a few people getting refused entry. After that I went to get my baggage and left without any other problem. This wasn’t a pleasant experience at all especially when you’ve been awake for 24h and all that is going through your head is “Am I gonna have to sleep at the airport until I can get a flight back home?”. I’m just glad this is all over. Still got the hardest part though... which is entering the US. But after going through all this I’m not even scared anymore...

Note that the two other people who had work visas to enter the US were still in the waiting room when I left (and they actually arrived earlier than I did). I really hope they got into Mexico without a problem... I don’t know if having a K1 visa worked in my favor or not. That I will never know. But there shouldn’t be a difference hopefully.

On 5/21/2020 at 3:16 AM, LaraAndEric said:

Congrats 🎉 That’s very good news :) I’m in Mexico and I still got 10 days left

On 5/22/2020 at 5:30 AM, LaraAndEric said:

It wasn’t difficult, the only thing you should prepare in advance is the ticket from Mexico to the US. In Amsterdam the lady from the check in counter asked me to show it to her, and then in México they asked me again at the customs. So be sure to buy your ticket in advance :) 

On 5/22/2020 at 4:14 PM, ohohoho said:

We flew in to Mexico City yesterday via Amsterdam. Nobody asked us anything at all, only in Mexico immigration they ask for the purpose of your visit. 

The flight was a terrible experience with all their corona restrictions and zero service, be prepared that for 11 hours (or more if connecting flight like we had) you get no food and limited drinks. On the short connecting flight you get a sandwich consisting of a dry bread with onion spread and a slice of cheese and a 86 ml cup of water. I had to fight with them to get another water for me and my son, he was thirsty and in the airport everything was closed and vending machine not working. I later asked if this will be the same on the long flight and the KLM staff told me they didn’t know so maybe I should buy drinks at the airport shops just to be safe that we have something. Thank god we did that. On the website they advise you to bring an empty water bottle and fill it after security, I strongly advise that now too! Amsterdam airport has food outlets closed except for few kiosks where you can buy some soft drinks and packaged sandwiches (like tank station kind of), that’s it, but shops like Hermes, jewellery, duty free and tulips are open. Upon boarding, you will find a plastic bag with two tangerines, two small cans of Diet Coke, two small bottles of water and some crackers, cookies and other junk. This is for the whole flight. You can get some more drinks from the galley if you want, but no service. Then after 5.5 hours they serve the whole airplane the same terrible pasta with a fanfare that they are giving you a hot meal. Hardly edible, but we were starving so ate at least some of it. Meanwhile you see flight attendants eating their boxes of food with clearly much much better food, talking to each other without masks and talking to passengers... and of course, playing on iPads, watching movies in empty business class seats and chatting. I really don’t know what difference would it make to operate as normal, I find it a bit alibistic from their side and just an unfair cost cutting measure since the tickets are crazy expensive and the plane was full. For me and my toddler this was frankly the worst part that I was not able to feed him anything decent and without any chance to even buy anything. Upon arrival in Mexico City everything is closed too, so not much help and since we’re flying onwards today and decided to overnight at the airport Hilton and it doesn’t even have room service at night, only daytime. So we’ve been starving 24 hours, but oh well, we’re here... 

On 5/24/2020 at 4:31 PM, RD7712 said:

I would think going to visit family and friends could be considered a non-essential travel at this time. But if you show them your K1 visa and explain the visa is set to expire soon and you are going to quarantine for 14 days before entering the USA then it will be fine. As other members here already have experienced have your ticket to the USA handy to show as proof you are indeed travelling to the USA afterwards. Besides that on June 1st is when the country is trying to get back to somewhat normal level of business so the scrutiny should be minimized by officials. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
7 minutes ago, dpnce said:

If this helps, hereinbelow you will find some successful entries by air into Mexico, along with some advice to prepare the travel: 

yes plus the couple I know from Spain entered Mexico without a problem as well. They still haven’t gotten back to me hopefully they’ve made it into the US already. Waiting to hear news from them and share it with you all

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Austria
Timeline
5 hours ago, Ja3germeister said:

I did it! I booked my flight to Mexico as well. June 4th from Amsterdam to Mexico-City, staying in an Airbnb in Polanco, flying out June 19th to Florida. Anybody that will be in Mexico-City during those days, hit me up because I for sure am going to be bored :)

Congrats. You will be on the same flight as my fiancee and her son. Awesome! I will tell her 🙂

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ela S. said:

People have been entering Mexico without a problem! They literally want to open up for tourism asap there would be no point to not let them in now. They might just be talking about land borders as well

I asked about flights and she said no :( I’m so confused about this

Timeline

So apparently Trump is open to lift the travel ban soon but no one knows when. I do not want to give any false hope to anyone and maybe this is just speculation but just wanted to share! 

"Asked during a White House press conference in the Rose Garden on Tuesday whether the U.S. was considering lifting travel restrictions on European countries over the coming weeks, Trump did not shut down the possibility. Noting that the U.S. had just imposed new restrictions on travelers who have been to Brazil, which has been hit hard by the coronavirus outbreak, Trump said: "We'll be doing certain announcements on other countries including Europe, as we move along."

"And where they're making progress, we'll start to open it up, but only when they're making progress. They're making some good progress," he said."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/26/donald-trump-open-lifting-european-flight-ban-coronavirus-eases/

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-suggests-u-s-could-soon-lift-coronavirus-travel-ban-countries-that-are-making-progress-1506707

Link to the video where he actually says it

Edited by dpnce

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
7 minutes ago, dpnce said:

So apparently Trump is open to lift the travel ban soon but no one knows when. I do not want to give any false hope to anyone and maybe this is just speculation but just wanted to share! 

"Asked during a White House press conference in the Rose Garden on Tuesday whether the U.S. was considering lifting travel restrictions on European countries over the coming weeks, Trump did not shut down the possibility. Noting that the U.S. had just imposed new restrictions on travelers who have been to Brazil, which has been hit hard by the coronavirus outbreak, Trump said: "We'll be doing certain announcements on other countries including Europe, as we move along."

"And where they're making progress, we'll start to open it up, but only when they're making progress. They're making some good progress," he said."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/26/donald-trump-open-lifting-european-flight-ban-coronavirus-eases/

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-suggests-u-s-could-soon-lift-coronavirus-travel-ban-countries-that-are-making-progress-1506707

Link to the video where he actually says it

Yeah, that's not actually going to happen. He just wanted to avoid more questions about it.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, WillSea said:

Does anyone know if Brazilians are allowed entry into Mexico?  

My fiance just got her flight cancelled because of the recent travel ban put on Brazil, so we are thinking about going through Mexico as well.

Thanks!
Will

Given there's also a travel ban over the Schengen area and some of us (EU nationals) managed to enter Mexico, I would assume they would let Brazilians as well, provided they follow the "rules" mentioned earlier in this thread. This is just IMHO, I will let others share their thoughts! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.