RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
1 minute ago, RD7712 said:

I would think going to visit family and friends could be considered a non-essential travel at this time. But if you show them your K1 visa and explain the visa is set to expire soon and you are going to quarantine for 14 days before entering the USA then it will be fine. As other members here already have experienced have your ticket to the USA handy to show as proof you are indeed travelling to the USA afterwards. Besides that on June 1st is when the country is trying to get back to somewhat normal level of business so the scrutiny should be minimized by officials. 

Agreed. Mexico will end lockdown on 6/1. All hotels and Airbnb’s will be available starting 6/1. Just be honest with immigration at arrival. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi guys! I received an email today by my hotel in Cancun, attached I’ll send a picture. They are now telling me they will open on the 8th - not the 1st. Which is somewhat sad, because a few days ago, when I asked them to confirm that they open on the 1 at (after I booked), they assured me they would open on the 1st. At least they are offering an upgrade.. anyways, I was finally able to reach Lufthansa just now (!) and they said flights on the 3.rd &6th from Frankfurt to Mexico City should be pretty safe to go! As in, they don’t believe that the flights will be cancelled!! So I’m now thinking about going to Mexico City and then traveling to Cancun or just staying in the city in a nice hotel. I just wanted to share this with y’all, because it came as a pretty big surprise to me. The state governor of Cancun made this decision (according to the hotel). 

B4BC61F5-5E2D-4061-A19B-D486FB4CFDF2.jpeg

Hi all, I've been following the thread for quite a bit though this is my first message. I am on an F1 Visa and have an internship to start in the U.S. by June 22nd. I am waiting to see if restrictions concerning the Schengen Area are lifted this week, but if not I will be travelling to Cancun June 4th or 5th till the 20th or so. If anyone would be interested in tagging along I think it could be a lot cheaper for us since the price stays the same getting two queens vs a king bed. Also I would rather be in an all inclusive in Cancun rather than in Mexico City, even though is more expensive I would have less to worry about. If someone is interested please let me know!

Additional details: I intend to fly Madrid-Mexico City-Cancun and then Cancun-NYC(JFK as a port of entry)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Austria
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Leah88 said:

Hi guys! I received an email today by my hotel in Cancun, attached I’ll send a picture. They are now telling me they will open on the 8th - not the 1st. Which is somewhat sad, because a few days ago, when I asked them to confirm that they open on the 1 at (after I booked), they assured me they would open on the 1st. At least they are offering an upgrade.. anyways, I was finally able to reach Lufthansa just now (!) and they said flights on the 3.rd &6th from Frankfurt to Mexico City should be pretty safe to go! As in, they don’t believe that the flights will be cancelled!! So I’m now thinking about going to Mexico City and then traveling to Cancun or just staying in the city in a nice hotel. I just wanted to share this with y’all, because it came as a pretty big surprise to me. The state governor of Cancun made this decision (according to the hotel). 

I called the governor's admin office last week and they told me that it was not decided yet if June 1st will be open for tourism, despite the push by the tourism businesses in the area. They said an official announcement was going to be made later. So they now made it June 8. That though help make us decide to go to Mexico City since we wanted to leave on June 4 and not waste another day.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
32 minutes ago, RD7712 said:

I would think going to visit family and friends could be considered a non-essential travel at this time. But if you show them your K1 visa and explain the visa is set to expire soon and you are going to quarantine for 14 days before entering the USA then it will be fine. As other members here already have experienced have your ticket to the USA handy to show as proof you are indeed travelling to the USA afterwards. Besides that on June 1st is when the country is trying to get back to somewhat normal level of business so the scrutiny should be minimized by officials. 

Thank you so much for your detailed comments, really appreciate. Already have my flight ticket to the US on June 23 so I should be good to go! 

Timeline
32 minutes ago, dpnce said:

Thank you so much for your detailed comments, really appreciate. Already have my flight ticket to the US on June 23 so I should be good to go! 

Exciting!

Timeline
1 hour ago, RD7712 said:

I agree with very likely little scrutiny starting 6/1 since they want to reopen and tourism to come back. 

Timeline
58 minutes ago, Leah88 said:

Looked on www.amextravel.com and saw hotel rooms were available for online booking 6/1, same with hotels.com and booking.com, Airbnb.com

2 hours ago, Lskifghj said:

Looked on www.amextravel.com and saw hotel rooms were available for online booking 6/1, same with hotels.com and booking.com, Airbnb.com

I just contacted an Airbnb host in Mexico City and she said she wasn't sure if she could rent her room yet... But that was just one person. 

Timeline
57 minutes ago, Ja3germeister said:

I just contacted an Airbnb host in Mexico City and she said she wasn't sure if she could rent her room yet... But that was just one person. 

Yeah keep contacting around. Last I saw many Hilton’s and Marriotts have availabilities for starting 6/1 again and many other Airbnb’s. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There are a few people who have taken their AirBnBs off the market but around where I am there is a good selection available despite being banned.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Would they count 14 full days in Mexico or 14 days including the day of entry? 

edit: found my own answer: 14-day period preceding entry, meaning excluding day of entry 

Edited by Lskifghj

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
3 hours ago, Lskifghj said:

edit: found my own answer: 14-day period preceding entry, meaning excluding day of entry 

Yup. I excluded day of entry and day of departure just in case. I spent 14 whole days in México excluding those

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
4 hours ago, Lskifghj said:

Can you post the link where you found that, please?

4 hours ago, Ela S. said:

Yup. I excluded day of entry and day of departure just in case. I spent 14 whole days in México excluding those

So if I were to fly on a Tuesday, and I would arrive in Mexico on a Wednesday night, do I need to count that Wednesday or not?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.