RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hey! For those of us currently (more or less patiently) waiting for their days to be over here in Mexico, the agreement on Mexico-US Border restrictions has not been amended but only extended for another 30 days i.e. until July 21, for now. 

My understanding is we should be fine to enter the US via Mexico until that date (July 21), provided we are not subject to another EO by then.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-mexico/mexico-and-us-extend-border-travel-ban-for-30-days-mexico-foreign-ministry-idUSKBN23N2KH

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/16/us-mexico-border-closure-extended-323216

Edited by dpnce

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
6 hours ago, Kay & Evan said:

Air Serbia just updated their official schedule page and actually added 2 extra flights 26 and 29 of June plus frequent flights in July. I’m feeling even more reassured now 

I didn't think I'd need to get back on Visa Journey after my own immigration story concluded some years ago, but it's helpful once again. 

My parents have had their flights cancelled and postponed multiple times. They are Romanians, so outside of the Schengen zone, but my airlines of choice (Delta/KLM) can't offer direct flights to USA or any connections outside the Schengen zone. Thanks to you, I just learned that Air Serbia is an option and I'm thinking about booking their tickets to NY (and then PDX).

Does anyone know if a one way flight would look suspicious at POE? They are coming to see their grand-babies (my 5 months old twins) and I'm planning for them to stay a few months. I'd rather book them a shorter connection through AMS on their way back (they're also very familiar with that airport) if things relax a bit more by then. 

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
17 minutes ago, dpnce said:

Hey! For those of us currently (more or less patiently) waiting for their days to be over here in Mexico, the agreement on Mexico-US Border restrictions has not been amended but only extended for another 30 days i.e. until July 21, for now. 

My understanding is we should be fine to enter the US via Mexico until that date (July 21), provided we are not subject to another EO by then.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-mexico/mexico-and-us-extend-border-travel-ban-for-30-days-mexico-foreign-ministry-idUSKBN23N2KH

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/16/us-mexico-border-closure-extended-323216

I actually think this is pretty good news (obviously the best news is removing restrictions but we have to be realistic!). My thoughts are, if they wanted to add any additional restrictions they would have done it now, rather than just extending the exact same order. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
22 minutes ago, dpnce said:

Just wanted to share the same news!! https://www.google.de/amp/s/www.borderreport.com/regions/mexico/mexico-border-travel-restrictions-extended-through-july-21/amp/.  So I think we should be fine!! Thinking about contacting the embassy once again to confirm, but unsure if that makes sense.. my flight is on Saturday so I’ve been on the edge for a couple of days. I would say I got grew hair, but no, still fab. 😋

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
7 minutes ago, ek1357 said:

I actually think this is pretty good news (obviously the best news is removing restrictions but we have to be realistic!). My thoughts are, if they wanted to add any additional restrictions they would have done it now, rather than just extending the exact same order. 

I thought exactly the same! I went on Twitter and this is what was clarified by the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs; same terms and conditions will remain in place as they have been since their implementation on March 21: 

Edited by dpnce

Timeline
1 hour ago, evapaula said:

Does anyone know if a one way flight would look suspicious at POE? They are coming to see their grand-babies (my 5 months old twins) and I'm planning for them to stay a few months. I'd rather book them a shorter connection through AMS on their way back (they're also very familiar with that airport) if things relax a bit more by then. 

Thank you!

I can’t speak to POE directly or from experience but If they have jobs, or other things that require them to return home, they should bring a printout of any letters or documents that prove their plans or needs to return home in case questions are asked.

Keep in mind many airlines are offering flexible cancelation/rebooking options where you can cancel a flight and have the cost of it count towards another flight until the end of the year. Look at the airline’s COVID return/cancelation policy updates for details.

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 6/15/2020 at 9:35 PM, ek1357 said:

@VioletM the last I heard regarding Turkey was the best bet for brits was a possible air-bridge arrangement. Given summer is coming I would assume something like that might be considered in July. I considered Turkey myself but our visa expires soon so we didn’t have time to wait. 

That said, a lot of hotels in Cancun are reopening now and I have read a few articles confirming Canadian tour operators and airlines are now restarting flights to Cancun in addition to tourist spots in the US (LV, NY).

https://ca.travelpulse.com/news/airlines/westjet-announces-summer-schedule-including-us-and-mexico.html
https://ca.travelpulse.com/news/vacation-packages/air-canada-vacations-touches-down-in-mexico.html

I’m not going to say Mexico is the way to go but Mexico City is the only real problem for Mexico, cases and deaths are very low out in the tourist spots. It’s kinda obvious why when you’re here because people are literally living on top of each other in Mexico City- it’s really densely populated. 

I could probably be having quite a nice two week ‘holiday’ if I was in Cancun but I didn’t want to do 3 transfers so we stayed put in Mexico City.

So I was checking the Turkish Airlines and the flights to Boston are no longer searchable on their website for July, so likely they aren't operating by then. I did contact Istanbul airport (I couldn't figure out a way to contact the airline directly, although I think there is a way...) and haven't heard back.
I am not feeling so sure about Mexico, neither my boss nor my mum want me to go there... If anything happened there (e.g. I got sick) I would be more stranded than if I was closer to Europe I feel.

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 6/16/2020 at 1:17 AM, jvette said:

Hey there — I'm in a similar situation with my girlfriend. She's a German national and has her J-1 visa but has been stuck there due to the travel ban. We considered the Mexico route but didn't pull the trigger as she'd have to quit her job a second time (they luckily allowed her to stay on when the travel ban was put into place and she couldn't leave Germany) and decided it's just too risky in the event she wasn't allowed to enter. 

I think we're out of luck at this point as we waited too long to go through Mexico and this ridiculous executive order is due out any day now. We considered trying to get her there ASAP, but again, it's too risky as even if she got on a plane tomorrow we could soon find out that she'd be banned from entering before the 14 day quarantine is up. 

Are you planning on waiting until the EO comes out before you book any travel plans? 

Hello! Yeah I have been closely monitoring the situation, too, hoping I would be able to avoid having to go to Mexico/other third country.

I was talking with my boss today about the options, he is still hopeful that UK-US travel resumes sooner rather than later, but I am not so sure. So we agreed we will wait until the end of the month (I believe the EO will come by 23rd June since the previous one is set to expire then), and hope it doesn't impact me - and if it doesn't, and the UK is still banned, I will most likely travel to Serbia. And if it does impact me I will just have to discuss what the options are (if any) with my boss.

Timeline
7 hours ago, VioletM said:

So I was checking the Turkish Airlines and the flights to Boston are no longer searchable on their website for July, so likely they aren't operating by then. I did contact Istanbul airport (I couldn't figure out a way to contact the airline directly, although I think there is a way...) and haven't heard back.
I am not feeling so sure about Mexico, neither my boss nor my mum want me to go there... If anything happened there (e.g. I got sick) I would be more stranded than if I was closer to Europe I feel.

Yes it is really important to remember that you won’t be able to get travel insurance so yes wherever you end up medical costs would be all on you. No matter where you travel it’s a risk during a pandemic!

The only issue is unreliable airlines, Turkish Airlines seem to have altered their dates to commence flights numerous times. Lots of routes that are meant to restart with many airlines are getting pushed back or cancelled. If the route has been running already it’s probably more likely to be ok but if it’s the first week that airline is starting back up on a route there’s always the danger they cancel it. 

Mexico was a difficult decision for me but made easier by the fact that I am travelling with my fiancé and the fact that so many on the forum are also here. 

That said, hopefully things are really getting moving now in Europe and new options will become available during July!

Timeline
40 minutes ago, ek1357 said:

Yes it is really important to remember that you won’t be able to get travel insurance so yes wherever you end up medical costs would be all on you. No matter where you travel it’s a risk during a pandemic!

I double checked with my travel insurance, and they confirmed they would pay my medical costs even if I went to the states now during the pandemic. And I only have their standart 10€ a year contract. I suggest doing lots of research and finding a similar one in your country! It's not impossible:)

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mareike said:

I double checked with my travel insurance, and they confirmed they would pay my medical costs even if I went to the states now during the pandemic. And I only have their standart 10€ a year contract. I suggest doing lots of research and finding a similar one in your country! It's not impossible:)

The issue I had in the U.K. is the government have a do not travel advisory. All insurers in the U.K. (that I found) explicitly stated that travelling against the foreign office’s recommendation made the plan void.

Timeline
Just now, ek1357 said:

The issue I had in the U.K. is the government have a do not travel advisory. All insurers in the U.K. (that I found) explicitly stated that travelling against the foreign office’s recommendation made the plan void.

Ah that's annoying. Germany has the same advisory but my insurance still pays despite that. I made them type that out exactly so I have written proof in case I need it 😅

2 hours ago, ek1357 said:

I used https://www.truetraveller.com/ for my stay in Mexico, I'm not covered for covid but I was more worried about getting hit by a car. They have a one way insurance policy, It was very expensive but covers me until I arrive in the USA when my next policy kicks in.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.