ECCK

Bringing a cat to the US - customs fees?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

We checked our cat in at the counter and she flew over with us from the mideast wherever they put checked baggage in the plane.

We picked her up in a different area of baggage claim, she was smelly and howling.  Customs wanted her outa there and waved us through.  Never a question or a look at any papers or whatever

Make sure you meet the airline requirements and whatever country you’re transitioning through.  We flew KLM and they were very helpful in informing us exactly what was needed and required for our flight.

Papers fly with the cat, we carried a copy with us as well.

Thank you! I spoke to the airline and they didn’t mention any additional fees upon arrival either. The pet relocation company says its best to use them since things always go wrong and pets can get left behind, but from I’m seeing here that doesn’t seem the case. Thanks for the reply! it’s making me feel a lot better about organizing it myself. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, ECCK said:

Thank you! I spoke to the airline and they didn’t mention any additional fees upon arrival either. The pet relocation company says its best to use them since things always go wrong and pets can get left behind, but from I’m seeing here that doesn’t seem the case. Thanks for the reply! it’s making me feel a lot better about organizing it myself. 

We briefly checked with pet relo but their fees are ridiculous

Report:  Our cat was suuuuuuper resentful (for like 2 whole days LOL) but she got over it after the kids spoiled her with some of the gourmet stuff.   She’s queen of the house now 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I used a pet relo and it was worth the money but there were also no custom fees. Husband still tells me here and there how many cats he could have gotten me for the money 😂😂

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

I used a pet relo and it was worth the money but there were also no custom fees. Husband still tells me here and there how many cats he could have gotten me for the money 😂😂

In the current situation with Covid I'm thinking I might have to cough up the money for a company to help me get my cat to the US. Good to know that there's not custom fees even when you used a relocation company. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Has anyone flown USA to UK with cats? I moved to USA to be with my partner(now husband) but he is terminally ill and I will need to fly when to UK with me when the time comes.. 

A pet company said $5000 for the two which was before covid. I imagine they'll go up now. 

Any advice? I Love these babies, im not leaving them here, I'll have to deal with losing my husband, I won't cope if I can't have them. 

K1 Visa             

Sent - 26th Aug 2018

NOA1 -  6th Sept 2018

NOA2 -  23rd Feb 2019

NVC sent to embassy - 2nd April 2019

Medical - 21st May 2019

Interview - 31st May 2019

Approved! 

K-1 in hand - 10th June 2019

POE - 4th July 2019

1 hour ago, Seanandrach said:

Has anyone flown USA to UK with cats? I moved to USA to be with my partner(now husband) but he is terminally ill and I will need to fly when to UK with me when the time comes.. 

A pet company said $5000 for the two which was before covid. I imagine they'll go up now. 

Any advice? I Love these babies, im not leaving them here, I'll have to deal with losing my husband, I won't cope if I can't have them. 

So sorry to hear about your husband.
You’ll need titers and whatever else UK needs. I know they don’t allow pets in cabin to UK. 

I’ve heard of people flying into Paris and then taking the train to UK to cut down on the costs - see if that’s a viable option for you. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.