Unlockable

Official Executive Order for Suspending Entry of Immigrants

824 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

@JBF

Future military spouses are not exempt from the travel restrictions..........However, K-1s are exempt from the current EO regarding immigration.  I'm not sure your situation is, in fact, an emergency.  In addition, I don't think any visas are being issued right now.

Thank you for answering my post that indeed is about the travel ban and not really about the EO. However, I don’t understand why the Consulate stated that they are unable to issue visas because of the Presidential Proclamation about the travel ban. If it’s a travel ban, it should be about traveling and not about the issuance of visas. I’ve tried to read the Proclamation as well, and from what I saw it doesn’t state that it prevents the issuance of visas, but only the entry of immigrants and non-immigrants that were, in the last 14 days, in the subject areas (in my case, Schengen area). The consulate states they’re currently giving the possibility to have only urgent appointments.
Does anyone have any ideas on this? 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/Presidential-Proclamation-Coronavirus.html

Edited by JBF

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, JBF said:

Thank you for answering my post that indeed is about the travel ban and not really about the EO. However, I don’t understand why the Consulate stated that they are unable to issue visas because of the Presidential Proclamation about the travel ban. If it’s a travel ban, it should be about traveling and not about the issuance of visas. I’ve tried to read the Proclamation as well, and from what I saw it doesn’t state that it prevents the issuance of visas, but only the entry of immigrants and non-immigrants that were, in the last 14 days, in the subject areas (in my case, Schengen area). The consulate states they’re currently giving the possibility to have only urgent appointments.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/Presidential-Proclamation-Coronavirus.html

Since most visas have a short validity period,  it is counterproductive to issue visas that cannot be used

YMMV

On 4/24/2020 at 5:22 PM, Kay & Evan said:

I asked them if the K1 is excluded from the executive order and they responded that due to the travel ban I cannot travel to the US. Then I responded with a link to the executive order signed Wednesday and said “My question is for when the travel ban is lifted. Is the immigration to the US with the K1 visa banned in the below executive order? It is not clear to me“ To which they responded “K1 visas are included in the exeptions for the new Presidential Proclamation, so we will be able to issue K1 visas.” 
then I told them that I do have a K1 at hand and if they mean I can use it to travel once the ban is lifted and they haven’t responded so far. 

I am Greek so I also emailed the consulate in Athens saying that I have a valid K1 at hand and want to know if I can travel once travel ban is lifted and they responded just now with the below:

Thank you for your April 23, 2020 e-mail.  We would like to inform  you that on April 22, President Trump signed a proclamation suspending entry into the United States of certain immigrants who present risk to the U.S. labor market during the economic recovery following the COVID-19 outbreak.  The proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. EDT on April 23 and expires in 60 days, unless continued by the President.  U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and those holding valid immigrant visas on the effective date of the Proclamation, are not subject to the proclamation.  No valid visas will be revoked under this Proclamation.  Routine visas services have been suspended at U.S. posts worldwide, but as resources allow, embassies and consulates will continue to provide emergency and mission critical visa services for applicants who are not subject to this presidential proclamation. The full text of the presidential proclamation is available on the White House website at:  https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspending-entry-immigrants-present-risk-u-s-labor-market-economic-recovery-following-covid-19-outbreak/

I asked the same question here US embassy in Dubai and they sent me exactly 100% same email :) which is an answer with no answer actually. 

1 minute ago, JBF said:

Were you able to actually do something about it? 

Not yet, actually the email came just minutes before, its like this:

Dear Applicant,

On April 22, President Trump signed a proclamation suspending entry into the United States of certain immigrants who present risk to the U.S. labor market during the economic recovery following the COVID-19 outbreak. The proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. EDT on April 23 and expires in 60 days, unless continued by the President. U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and those holding valid immigrant visas on the effective date of the Proclamation, are not subject to the proclamation. No valid visas will be revoked under this Proclamation. Routine visas services have been suspended at U.S. posts worldwide, but as resources allow, embassies and consulates will continue to provide emergency and mission critical visa services for applicants who are not subject to this presidential proclamation. The full text of the presidential proclamation is available on the White House website at: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspending-entry-immigrants-present-risk-u-s-labor-market-economic-recovery-following-covid-19-outbreak/.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Raizee said:

Routine visas services have been suspended at U.S. posts worldwide

That is an important statement......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, JBF said:

However it could be possible (in certain cases, I believe) to travel to a third country and then enter the US after having self-quarantined in such third country. I was doing research on it, and it could be doable. However my main concern was, is what they (the Consulate) have stated correct?  I’m simply trying to understand this, because from what I’ve been reading it’s not. The travel ban prevents individuals from traveling, not from getting visas. Or am I wrong? 

Not wrong but public facing services are suspended.  

YMMV

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

That is an important statement......

4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I know and I understand. However, for military reasons, I was requesting an emergency appointment. I really need to get to the US within the beginning of July for such reasons, but considering the response of the Consulate at this point I don’t know ... 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, JBF said:

I know and I understand. However, for military reasons, I was requesting an emergency appointment. I really need to get to the US within the beginning of July for such reasons, but considering the response of the Consulate at this point I don’t know ... 

What is the emergency and was this articulated to the consulate?

YMMV

Timeline
8 minutes ago, payxibka said:

What is the emergency and was this articulated to the consulate?

It was. In the email I have sent explaining the situation in details, I have attached two official documents that were indeed proving the reasons my request is based on, one was from my fiancé’s superior and one was from my fiancé. The reasons are mainly regarding the fact that my fiancé will be gone for an extended period of time after the beginning of July, which would prevent me from joining him unless indeed married, and then financial ones. 
It was documented. However I don’t understand how and where the travel ban states that Consulates and Embassies are not allowed to issue visas ... the automatic email of the Consulate actually specifically says that they’re only continuing urgent appointment services. 

Edited by JBF

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
1 hour ago, JBF said:

I'm working on a K1 but the consulate in Belgium is doing the same thing. They're not even willing to clarify anything except point to the Schengen travel ban. We haven't even gotten to the interview part yet, I still need to get the paperwork together, so it would've been cool if they just sent me that, so I could use (now seemingly unlimited) time I had before I was able to schedule an interview to do that. I've just given up on asking about it.

42 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Seemingly all routine visa activity, not just public facing services. They're not sending out the packets with the instructions you get before the interview, so you know what papers you need either.

Edited by sl1pstream

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
29 minutes ago, JBF said:

The reasons are mainly regarding the fact that my fiancé will be gone for an extended period of time after the beginning of July, which would prevent me from joining him unless indeed married, and then financial ones. 

Seems valid, to me, for an expedite.......but at the discretion of each consulate....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, sl1pstream said:

Seemingly all routine visa activity, not just public facing services. They're not sending out the packets with the instructions you get before the interview, so you know what papers you need either.

Understandable because many items on the "list" are not actionable,  therefore not a high priority 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
1 hour ago, JBF said:

I don’t see how the Schengen travel ban affects the issuance of visas, as I said several times. It should be about traveling. It doesn’t really make sense to me. Do you have any ideas on what I could do? 
It seems odd that they’re saying how you can request an emergency appointment, but then deny it this way.

No idea, it seems like it really shouldn't. Let me know if you figure it out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A political-opinion video has been removed.  Please avoid posting similar material.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
On 4/26/2020 at 2:30 AM, SilverLake said:

Hi everyone,

Trump signed the Muslim ban in 2017, and the ban was supposed to last 90 days only. However, as of today it is still valid because Trump kept extending the ban.

Do you think the immigration ban will be in the same situation? Ie, he will keep it valid as long as he is still in office, or until he can really make Congress pass a law that can halt family immigrant (except for spouse and child under 21) altogether?

Thanks!

Assume Trump will do whatever he will do to restrict immigration and proceed on from there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.