Unlockable

Official Executive Order for Suspending Entry of Immigrants

824 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, ny to la said:

I hope they get this guidance very soon. They are denying IV holders from direct US flights according to the EO.

Who is "they"?

YMMV

6 hours ago, geowrian said:

This part I disagree with. I highly doubt individual COs will get to determine if a visa class (not an individual) is subject to an EO or not. This is not a discretionary item - either a visa class is or is not subject to it.

Typically what happens is the DOS reviews the EO and implements a policy. That policy is then published in the FAM. In the interim, a memo or other guidance is issued to the consulates.

Given that routine visa services are suspended right now already, they have the time to actually review the EO and do all of the above before any CO actually has to make a decision w/o that guidance.

@geowrian How long does it take for the DOS to issue a memo/guidance and establish uniformity among the embassies? It's concerning that some respond saying K1 is subject to the EO while others say it is exempt.

21 minutes ago, Ellie_7 said:

@geowrian How long does it take for the DOS to issue a memo/guidance and establish uniformity among the embassies? It's concerning that some respond saying K1 is subject to the EO while others say it is exempt.

As long as it takes...I'm not privy to their internal workings.

Although I would anticipate they do so well before the consulates open back up.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
3 minutes ago, MishoMisho said:

If someone already has a DV stamped in their passport but, haven't travels yet are they exempt?

A careful read of the EO would indicate that aliens with issued visas are exempt 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

What about k1? We were about to schedule embassy interview, Outbreak happened. We even have the medical exam. Soon it's going to expire.  We are engaged and we have a son. We did crba and got him USA passport last year.  Can my fiance still come to USA? 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ny to la said:

Embassies because right now they decline any advice regarding IV holders travel to the USA.

I wouldn't care what the embassy says, if the airline let's you on, then go...

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
13 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I wouldn't care what the embassy says, if the airline let's you on, then go...

Not the best advice I’d give to someone if I were you

3 hours ago, ny to la said:

I hope they get this guidance very soon. They are denying IV holders from direct US flights according to the EO.

20 minutes ago, ny to la said:

Embassies because right now they decline any advice regarding IV holders travel to the USA.

They are declining advice. You said they were denying them from direct flights. Those are very different things.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

My husband has an IR1 Visa and we are stuck in Egypt because the airport is closed. They've arranged flights with Egyptair for Americans and LPRs. I called Egyptair and asked about my husband. I was told he couldn't go unless the embassy sends an email giving permission. I msgd the embassy and was told that DHS makes the decision. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Ela S. said:

Not the best advice I’d give to someone if I were you

Embassies don't control the border.   Airlines work much closer with the CBP than the embassies ever will.  I'd go that way anyday,  everyday. 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.