Derek Scheyer

Immigration Suspension Executive Order - MEGA THREAD

1,506 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
28 minutes ago, optimistic23 said:

I have emailed my local embassy and asked wether the already issued visas will be affected or not and this is the response i received.

“Thank you for your inquiry.

If you already have an immigrant visa, then you will not be impacted by the new executive order (which has not yet even been signed).  

As long as you have the letter* from the Embassy and your valid immigrant visa, you should be able to travel without problems.

Thank you.

Regards,

American Citizen Services Unit 
U.S. Embassy.”

*Letter from the embassy : since we are in lockdown we are required to have a travel letter from the embassy*

This does not seem like a legit response. Responses from government agencies generally either say you can or can not do something and if they are not yet sure they tell you they are unable to give you the information. Saying "you should be able to travel" and inserting a statement like "which has not yet even been signed" make me question the validity of the response you received.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
35 minutes ago, optimistic23 said:

I have emailed my local embassy and asked wether the already issued visas will be affected or not and this is the response i received.

If you already have an immigrant visa, then you will not be impacted by the new executive order (which has not yet even been signed).  

As long as you have the letter* from the Embassy and your valid immigrant visa, you should be able to travel without problems.

Thank you.

Regards,

U.S. Embassy.”

*Letter from the embassy : since we are in lockdown we are required to have a travel letter from the embassy*

Awesome news. What visa was this for? K1?

In addition, here is the letter I received from the Bangkok embassy when asking what happens if our K1 expires before my fiance travels to the USA a few weeks ago: 

Dear Sir/Madam:

Thank you for your email.

If an applicant with a valid immigrant visa wants to extend the period they can travel to the US, the Immigrant Visa Unit will need to cancel their current visa and issue a new visa in their passport.  To do this, the applicant will need to do the following, in this order:

1. Contact the Immigrant Visa Unit at Embassy Bangkok to inform them of their request by email
  2. Get a new medical exam (because the visa validity is tied to the expiration of the current medical exam)
  3. Possibly get new Police Certificates issued (they are valid for one year from date of issue, so it depends when they were issued)
  4. Pay a new immigrant visa application fee

Since there is considerable cost to do this, we recommend applicants do not go this route until the current visa they have in their passport has either expired, or will soon expire and they are sure they will not be able to travel before its expiration.  There is no penalty for letting the current visa expire and then starting the above process, so there is no need to do this until you are absolutely sure you will not be able to travel during their current visa’s validity.

Regards,

Immigrant Visa Unit

U.S. Embassy Bangkok

Hope this eases some minds. We will get through this, one way or another. Love always wins.  

“Choose not to be harmed — and you won’t feel harmed. Don’t feel harmed — and you haven’t been.” – Marcus Aurelius

Edited by KP23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Definitely puts a roadblock into my plans in bringing my fiancé over on a K1 Visa. Can’t wait to see the details of this executive order. 

46 minutes ago, optimistic23 said:

Thank you.

Regards,

U.S. Embassy.”

I’m not sure what surprises me most.. the fact that they responded pretty much immediately to you and didn’t make you wait weeks or the fact that they are trying to inform you of something over which they don’t yet know.. 

best we can do at this stage is wait for the EO to be released so that we know the content of it. 

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Mounat02 said:

This a reasonable response but if the EO "has not yet even been signed," how can the embassy know for sure that "you will not be impacted by the new executive order?"

Seems a bit presumptive on the embassy's side.

Also its not usually the Citizen Services that deals with visas but the Consular Section. Something here just doest smell right

17 minutes ago, KP23 said:

Awesome news. What visa was this for? K1?

In addition, here is the letter I received from the Bangkok embassy when asking what happens if our K1 expires before my fiance travels to the USA a few weeks ago: 

Hope this eases some minds. We will get through this, one way or another. Love always wins.  

“Choose not to be harmed — and you won’t feel harmed. Don’t feel harmed — and you haven’t been.” – Marcus Aurelius

That’s great news.  Mine is K1 visa. Cheers 🙌🏾

3 minutes ago, designguy said:

Also its not usually the Citizen Services that deals with visas but the Consular Section. Something here just doest smell right

You’re right but the reason of this was as i mentioned at the end that the local immigration here require Travel Letter in order to travel out of the country and Citizen Service Unit provides that so i followed up with them after i got the letter.
But of course nothing is real unless we see the official EO. Just thought i might calm some nerves 😃 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Several off-topic argumentative posts removed. Administrative action to follow for those who continue to derail the thread. If you want to debate, please see the CEHST forum**

VJ Moderation

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Ramar1 said:

Question.. Most of the orders get signed then get published 4 or 5ll days later. In that case, if he signs it today, and gets published 4 days from now, does that mean we can still enter before publication date? Hope my question makes sense. 

Your question makes sense and it's likely the executive order becomes enforceable upon signature by POTUS (not unlike laws passed by Congress). Would be interesting to know for sure.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ramar1 said:

Question.. Most of the orders get signed then get published 4 or 5ll days later. In that case, if he signs it today, and gets published 4 days from now, does that mean we can still enter before publication date? Hope my question makes sense. 

That's a great question. I'm curious about that too.

PS 1: Thank you moderators for keeping this thread clean.

PS 2: My peeps, please read the thread before asking new questions. Your question was most likely answered by someone before. I spent hour reading these 69 pages and this whole thing could have been reduced to less than 10 pages of juicy original content.

PS 3: Stay strong! Everything will be alright!!

I-130

12/13/19 - Married in the US to US Citizen
01/26/20 - Submitted I-130 online application
01/26/20 - Received date / Receipt notice date / Priority date
05/26/20 - Approval notice date

AOS

08/06/20 - AOS (I-485, I-864, I-765, I-131) sent to Chicago lockbox through UPS
08/10/20 - USCIS received AOS documents signed by Harris

08/26/20 - Check cashed by USCIS

08/30/20 - Received text messages with receipt numbers for I-485, I-765 & I-131

09/03/20 - Received NOA1 in the mail for I-485, I-765 & I-131

10/05/20 - Received RFIE for missing I-944

10/06/20RFIE response sent to USCIS Lee's Summit's office through UPS
10/09/20 - USCIS received RFIE response
01/23/21 - Received Biometrics appointment notice

02/11/21 - Biometrics appointment (Code 3)

02/12/21 - Status changed to "Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken" (I-765)

02/17/21 - Status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced" (I-765)

02/17/21 - Status changed to "Case Was Approved" (I-765 & I-131)
02/22/21 - Status changed to "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview" (I-485)

02/25/21 - Received combo card in the mail (Flagged as lost by USPS)

03/03/21 - Received combo card in the mail
08/16/21 - Status updated to "Interview Was Scheduled" (for Sep 14)
08/25/21 - Interview was cancelled

Hello,

My husband and I just recently got married. He is a F1 student and he is still a student. I’m an American citizen. We are working on our papers for AOS however we have not submitted it yet since we are waiting on some tax papers from our sponsor.

I was wondering if the order that Trump just passed will be a problem to this process. We are looking to submit everything as soon as possible.

thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Hang Nguyen said:

Hello,

My husband and I just recently got married. He is a F1 student and he is still a student. I’m an American citizen. We are working on our papers for AOS however we have not submitted it yet since we are waiting on some tax papers from our sponsor.

I was wondering if the order that Trump just passed will be a problem to this process. We are looking to submit everything as soon as possible.

thank you!

It's not clear at this time. But there are some speculations that this will apply to those who are outside the US. Hopefully tomorrow we will know for sure. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Derailing posts and arguing removed.**

VJ Moderation

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.