Derek Scheyer

Immigration Suspension Executive Order - MEGA THREAD

1,506 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
4 minutes ago, EmptySeats said:

I've been gathering information here, discussing with you all, to report. I already told her exactly what the president said and what the media reported. It's certainly up to her. I just wanted to come on here and know if everyone else thought this Trump speech was as vague as I did. It's so strange how the media is talking about it in terms of absolutes. The Washington Post interpreted something totally different than the New York Times. Vast majority say that he is suspending issuing green cards, and he kind of implied it, but WaPo says "entering" the US. It's just so confusing. Many here think it is too so I'm not alone.

It's indeed confusing! Unless one can lay their hands on the EO, can't know for sure what the implication are for your fiancée. I'm really sorry that you guys and many others are going through this. There's a higher probability of it all working out perhaps. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
3 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Nearly two dozen more posts are removed.  This order almost certainly won't affect people who are already in the U.S.

I was wondering why the pages went from 65 to 64. I appreciate that.

A lot of speculations going on. I'm now starting the process and hearing this news and people catastrophizing does not help. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
10 minutes ago, givionte said:

Everything we are hearing from those who have seen the leaked order are saying it exempts spouses and children of American citizens, family/spousal visas are likely to still be ok.  The only challenge is for those who don't yet have theirs... finding an open embassy is a challenge right now.

I guess for everyone else who haven't yet applied or is in the application process, this should ideally not really have an effect I suppose. The ban is for 60 days. Even if it's extended to 3-4 months, it should all be well within the timeline for most of us. If anything, applications are likely to be processed sooner given the reduction in workload. That's my understanding. Am I being too optimistic here?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Personal advice:  Do everything to get her on that plane.  If she's allowed to board, that's most of the battle.  Upon landing, she can state calmly to CBP that she has a valid visa AND the guidelines were clear enough to enable boarding.  If the front-line agent hesitates, she should calmly point out that NO flights back to Ecu are permitted.  If there's still hesitation, she should calmly yet insistently ask for the shift supervisor or port director and calmly explain the reasoning.  My gut tells me that she'll be admitted... but it can't and won't happen if she's not on that plane!

I wouldn't recommend this. It's not safe to travel now, during the epidemic. She would be safer just to wait, even if that will take longer than 60 days. 

I also think, Trump's decision to stop immigration process is about not paying the second stimulus checks for people just coming to the US, so after everything is over everyone will be able to come here.

Edited by hosfam

6 February 2014 sent Petition

12 February NOA1 TSC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ama_Kwaku said:

I was wondering why the pages went from 65 to 64. I appreciate that.

A lot of speculations going on. I'm now starting the process and hearing this news and people catastrophizing does not help. 

Mods deleting flaming posts

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

@EmptySeats  my fiancé managed to get to my country just a few hours before the borders got shut down and all the planes got grounded. It was a scary decision and we only had a few hours to make it so I sympathize with you completely. We don’t know when he’ll be able to go back home but I have to say though, seeing how much worse the things are getting and having him with me, I thank past us for doing the craziest thing we could have done every day 

2 minutes ago, Colaam said:

I guess for everyone else who haven't yet applied or is in the application process, this should ideally not really have an effect I suppose. The ban is for 60 days. Even if it's extended to 3-4 months, it should all be well within the timeline for most of us. If anything, applications are likely to be processed sooner given the reduction in workload. That's my understanding. Am I being too optimistic here?

I think being too optimistic.  But I've learned to always expect less, and hopefully get more!  If the consulates and embassies aren't staffed, the applications will start to pile up, and it could take quite some time to catch up on the work load.  They are already skipping some interview formalities in a few situations, so they know he workload is going to be a challenge to keep up with. On the other hand, perhaps less people will be willing to immigrate or vacation for awhile until a vaccine is found, and there will be less people petitioning for a visa.

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife and I got married March 13th in a k1. We literally sent our AOS this morning. I’m assuming our AOS will be delayed but hopefully it doesn’t effect her being here since She’s already been here since beginning of March  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
3 minutes ago, agataa said:

@EmptySeats  my fiancé managed to get to my country just a few hours before the borders got shut down and all the planes got grounded. It was a scary decision and we only had a few hours to make it so I sympathize with you completely. We don’t know when he’ll be able to go back home but I have to say though, seeing how much worse the things are getting and having him with me, I thank past us for doing the craziest thing we could have done every day 

I'm in the exact same situation. I'm currently in the US with my fiance because I was lucky enough to be able to leave a few hours before the ban went into effect and it feels so good and safe to be able to be here with him. 

3 minutes ago, Urmij said:

I am a US citizen, filed for my parent on IR5 category. Their case is at NVC. All documents are approced and case is ready for the interview. Does it affect to me??

Draft order leaks still aren't clear about parents.  It seems spouses and children may be likely, competing news leaks are unclear about parents (one says ok, other does not mention parents).  Tomorrow (US time) the EO will officially release, and we'll know for certain then.

Edited by givionte

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

43 minutes ago, EmptySeats said:

What is a Green Card Seeker? The way I look at it, almost everyone who has a K-1 fiance visa eventually applies for a green card. But I don't know much about the other visas, admittedly.

by that I mean the people who have applied for a green card, either employment or family based, but have not yet been approved; or people who have not applied but are going to.

Your case has already been approved so it’s a done deal and the EO should not affect it.

Again, this is just my speculation. If I were her I’d board the plane. Everything could happen now. Before yesterday nobody imagined Trump would pull such a drastic move on immigration.

N-400:

07/19/2019: Applied online

08/07/2019: Biometrics 

01/22/2020: Interview scheduled

02/26/2020: Interview.

02/27/2020: Status changed to Approved. Oath scheduled for 03/18/2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

The ABC news affiliate, here in Portland, reported that... I can't  bring myself to say his name or his title... he will have a 60 day pause...then reevaluate the economy and decide if he will extend the "pause" or not. 

So many tears, 

D&A

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.