Derek Scheyer

Immigration Suspension Executive Order - MEGA THREAD

1,506 posts in this topic

remain Calm Zzz

“An administration official familiar with the plans had said earlier the order would be focused on preventing people from winning permission to live and work in the U.S. That would include those seeking employment-based green cards and relatives of green card holders who are not citizens.

Americans who wish to bring immediate family to the country would still be able to do so, according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity before the plan was announced. About one million people were granted green cards last year.“

NBCSan Diego news.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Lskifghj said:

But that immediate family does not include parents :(

Immediate family of a USC includes spouse, children and parents. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, VTimmy said:

remain Calm Zzz

“An administration official familiar with the plans had said earlier the order would be focused on preventing people from winning permission to live and work in the U.S. That would include those seeking employment-based green cards and relatives of green card holders who are not citizens.

Americans who wish to bring immediate family to the country would still be able to do so, according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity before the plan was announced. About one million people were granted green cards last year.“

NBCSan Diego news.

this is a lot more clear, I hope its accurate. 

Filed: Country: El Salvador
Timeline
5 minutes ago, VTimmy said:

remain Calm Zzz

NBCSan Diego news.

I take it sons/daughters over 21 of a US Citizen won't be included as they don't count as immediate family? :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Remember that K-1 visa holders can't work for six months upon arrival to the US, so in theory they will not immediately impact the job market.

That said I'm not sure details like that are so carefully considered in presidential proclamations, previous ones have seemed to border on totally nonsensical.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I heard about the executive order last night. My fiance has a K1...issued in mid March. Everything collapsed after he got her visa, and she wasn't able to come up here...she can barely even leave the house. We woke up today and bought her a ticket for tonight - we lucked out and the US embassy just happened to list a flight from Quito to the US that leaves at 2:30am...we have no idea when the next flight will be.

We figured she'd just fly here now rather than stay in the country and risk not making it in time for the K1 - it expires on August 10th. Then we'd be at the whim of the embassy, who would probably have a big backlog.

Do you all think it's a good idea for her to board her flight tonight? It lands at 7:30AM in Fort Lauderdale. After which she could fly to my local airport on a direct flight.

Really need some opinions. This is so scary and we have to make a decision soon.

Edited by EmptySeats

Timeline
Just now, EmptySeats said:

I heard about the executive order last night. My fiance has a K1...issued in mid March. Everything collapsed after he got her visa, and she wasn't able to come up here...she can barely even leave the house. We woke up today and bought her a ticket for tonight - we lucked out and the US embassy just happened to list a flight from Quito to the US that leaves at 2:30am...we have no idea when the next flight will be.

We figured she'd just fly here now rather than stay in the country and risk not making it in time for the K1 - it expires on August 10th. Then we'd be at the whim of the embassy, who would probably have a big backlog.

Do you all think it's a good idea for her to board her flight tonight? It lands at 7:30AM in Fort Lauderdale. After which she could fly to my local airport on a direct flight.

Really need some opinions. This is so scary and I have to make a decision soon.

in my opinion, I think she should try to get here before this is signed because trump was very vague about what it impacts .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
2 minutes ago, mandsophia said:

in my opinion, I think she should try to get here before this is signed because trump was very vague about what it impacts .

What happens, hypothetically, if it is signed when she is in the air? Or can a border control person be a jerk, knowing that there will be an order at some point, and decide not to let her in? Just thinking out all the scenarios.

Edited by EmptySeats

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jade13 said:

So is Adjustment of Status going to affected by this order? My husband is US citizen,  I came in on a B2 visa 

It sounds like it all depends if they make an exception for USC immediate family. If they do, then you will be fine. But you will need to file ASAP before they come up with another ban. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Colaam said:

Check NYT! Spouses and children of citizens not affected

Screenshot_2020-04-22-05-01-03-43.png

I hope the LPR petitioner part turns out to not be true. My Citizenship interview is on hold due to the pandemic too so it won't go anywhere anytime soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
3 minutes ago, EmptySeats said:

Really need some opinions. This is so scary and we have to make a decision soon.

Wouldn’t she risk to be turned away though? 
I’m not completely sure, but it’s honestly concerning. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.