MoroccanLover40

question about the new public charge rule and I485 adjustment of status

107 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, MoroccanLover40 said:

We did reply to our 1st application but they still denied it. I'm filling out this Form I-944 to go along with 1-485 and sending it to the lawyer in the morning. I paid him money already and he seems to want to help us. What futher advice do you have ? I have kept everything 100% truth but I feel like if you make 1 mistake they will take a look at every single thing. 

"On January 21, 2020, we denied your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number MSC1991XXXXXX. We sent you a denial notice that explains why we denied your case and your options. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your denial notice by February 5, 2020, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address "

and the denial reason was "incorrect household size" which I find really really STUPID

Well the denial for incorrect household size is correct because your parents are living under your roof. So by any means of common thinking you are providing for them. The RFE evidence you sent in did it have them on it, and how did they find out about your parents living with you?

Edited by millefleur
Personal information removed

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
7 minutes ago, MoroccanLover40 said:

I don't know but i do list my parents on my tax return as dependents so i'm assuming they looked there and found out that way. Have you had this situation before ?

This is why?  You claim your parents as dependents and they receive food stamps is why you need to be wary of the public charge rule.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Personal information removed. Please do not post or upload any personal identifying information, that includes case numbers. Either block/blur out such information if you want to share.**

VJ Moderation

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

You said you applied for foodstamps, and it sounds like that was after your wife was here and you were married.  Why did you apply for them, and did you apply for any other public assistance?

Just now, Jorgedig said:

You said you applied for foodstamps, and it sounds like that was after your wife was here and you were married.  Why did you apply for them, and did you apply for any other public assistance?

This was in Oct 2019 and we are already married 4 months at that time. I lost my job for a short period and thought I can get it but they even denied us that because they said I was earning too much to get it and I have not applied for anything else because I simply get declined for anything I apply for. I am truthful on the new form we are sending now and giving them everything they want including copies of my bank accounts, pay stubs and savings. I have not received any monies from the government except for my tax returns which I do file every year. So are my parents screwing me out of a green card for my wife ? That's kinda what it sounds like. They only receive a 200 dollar limit each month btw 

17 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

This is why?  You claim your parents as dependents and they receive food stamps is why you need to be wary of the public charge rule.  

so how I already did my 2019 taxes with them on it because it helps me save some money. I wish I could take that back and not include them 😕. Again just my parents receive snap not me or my wife. 

1 minute ago, MoroccanLover40 said:

This was in Oct 2019 and we are already married 4 months at that time. I lost my job for a short period and thought I can get it but they even denied us that because they said I was earning too much to get it and I have not applied for anything else because I simply get declined for anything I apply for. I am truthful on the new form we are sending now and giving them everything they want including copies of my bank accounts, pay stubs and savings. I have not received any monies from the government except for my tax returns which I do file every year. So are my parents screwing me out of a green card for my wife ? That's kinda what it sounds like. They only receive a 200 dollar limit each month btw 

Your parents (your dependents) being on food stamps could make it appear like you are unable to support them.  This could make it seem like you will be unable to support an immigrant.

Just now, Jorgedig said:

Your parents (your dependents) being on food stamps could make it appear like you are unable to support them.  This could make it seem like you will be unable to support an immigrant.

So what happens now? She's here in the US sitting right next to me for the past 10 months. Do I need to wait for 2021 taxes then do her papers and remove my parents from my taxes  so that won't be a problem? 

Just now, MoroccanLover40 said:

So what happens now? She's here in the US sitting right next to me for the past 10 months. Do I need to wait for 2021 taxes then do her papers and remove my parents from my taxes  so that won't be a problem? 

I meant 2020 taxes 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
5 minutes ago, MoroccanLover40 said:

so how I already did my 2019 taxes with them on it because it helps me save some money. I wish I could take that back and not include them 😕. Again just my parents receive snap not me or my wife. 

Your parents are considered a part of your household because you claimed them as dependents on your taxes.  You are now looking at the household when filing.  Public Charge includes the household.  You are a household of 4, in which only 1 person works, 1 is in school, and 2 receive food stamps.  

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

1 minute ago, Pinkrlion said:

Your parents are considered a part of your household because you claimed them as dependents on your taxes.  You are now looking at the household when filing.  Public Charge includes the household.  

Any suggestions on ways to go forward ? What to do ? Lawyer seems optimistic for some reason but I dont believe him 

On the paperwork it states you only need to make 38k for a family of 5. So in my case I'm a family of 4 with a 60k income combined. That should be enough or will they just decline because 2 people in the household are using snap. Will buying a new house fix this so it can just be me and my wife ? Lol just thinking. I'm to the point where I just may move elsewhere. I'm having no luck here. I dont understand why they approved her visa and gave her all these docs in the first place if they will act like this now. 

To add one thing to this we sent a new application before the public rule change came into effect and they said we already had a case pending even tho they sent us a letter stating the case is closed. I feel they are just playing games with us now. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else because this has been a nightmare 

51 minutes ago, MoroccanLover40 said:

I don't know but i do list my parents on my tax return as dependents so i'm assuming they looked there and found out that way. Have you had this situation before ?

Well that is the issue there is that you list them as dependents. Since that is the case then the RFE for the incorrect household size was correct. So you should be concerned about the public charge issue. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.