TVC

Can we bring my 10yo sister in law to the USA?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
18 minutes ago, TVC said:

I hate the people who talk about immigrants in the USA and say "Well they should come here legally!"

If they knew how hard it was to even bring your own wife. And bringing other family members is impossible I guess.

The USA need serious immigration reform. It should be free and fast to bring your wife and children. 

You need to understand that while the US would benefit from some immigration reform,  our system is not the slowest nor is it the most penal.  Many countries are significantly worse.

If you are talking about your biological child, then guess what, they would most likely already be a US citizen even born abroad.   Pretty free and  fast to get the child here.

Secondly,  your wife's sister is not your child.  Which is what this thread was all about 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
4 minutes ago, TVC said:

Do you mean my wife's little sister could get some kind of education visa for the USA?

Yeah, I I mean if she can't immigrate now at least she can get good education and be introduced to the culture at least

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

1 minute ago, Sparkle Sparkle said:

Yeah, I I mean if she can't immigrate now at least she can get good education and be introduced to the culture at least

It's a really good idea. Thank you.

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

F1 Student visas still need to show strong ties home country with intent to return. And the would be no legal path for her to stay after the end of the student visa 

could potentially be more traumatic to move to the US as a child only to be forced to have to return to the Philippines after a few years

Edited by designguy

1 minute ago, designguy said:

F1 Student visas still need to show strong ties home country with intent to return. And the would be no legal path for her to stay after the end of the student visa 

The strong ties is gonna be hard. But if she could come for High School and then College that's be her whole childhood. And who knows, maybe she'd end up marrying some American boy.

1 hour ago, TVC said:

I hate the people who talk about immigrants in the USA and say "Well they should come here legally!"

If they knew how hard it was to even bring your own wife. And bringing other family members is impossible I guess.

The USA need serious immigration reform. It should be free and fast to bring your wife and children. 

"Free and fast" and immigration don't really go together, especially with the US (although it's not unique there).

Many countries do not permit siblings at all. The US is pretty lenient in even having a category for it where most do not.

It's a question of time, not ability.

28 minutes ago, TVC said:

The strong ties is gonna be hard. But if she could come for High School and then College that's be her whole childhood. And who knows, maybe she'd end up marrying some American boy.

A student visa for a public high school is limited to 1 year.

A student visa for a private high school has no limit.

In both cases, the full, unsubsidized costs must be paid by the student or (more likely) a sponsor.

That said, getting a student visa for both high school and college is unlikely IMO...it will very likely stick out as wanting to stay in the US.

The reality is many Filipinos in the past abused these types of visas (I think the overstay rate for student visas from PH was close to 60-70% in a not-too-old DHS report?) so it becomes more difficult for those who want to obtain one now.

But no harm in trying if that's the course she wants to take. Nothing to lose but the time and fees, so long as you are capable and willing to cover full tuition and living costs.

As for adoption, the route there is very difficult. The situation of wanting to adopt a family member for the purposes of immigration is far from unique.

For an F4 category immigrant visa, as others noted, it'll likely be a 25-30 year wait (US citizenship then starting the ~25+ year wait) due to the high backlog and limited visa availability, and PH already being very oversubscribed.

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove quote of removed content.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

59 minutes ago, TVC said:

U.S. has problems with immigration, we all know that. But trust us it is not the worst. The mere fact that your wife has the option to petition for her parents and siblings when she becomes a citizen is evident of that. Because most countries in the world don't offer the petitions for siblings (I'm not even sure if the Philipines has petitions for siblings). And there are a lot of countries that don't even recognize birthright citizenship.

So the US may not be the best at immigration but it does offer more than most countries. And that is why the US is one of the most popular choices for immigrants.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

I'm a school teacher. If there was some way I could find a reliable teaching job online then we could just continue living in the Philippines. But I have had no luck thus far. I've tried about 10 companies. Teaching in a brick and mortar school in the Philippines cant work due to the low salaries.

My wife and I have no problem with living in the Philippines but I can't find work there. So we have to go back to the USA. And I guess her 10yo sister has to go back to living in the shack with the dirt floor and roof that may collapse any moment.

Edited by TVC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What other countries apart from the US allows you to sposnosr a sibling?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, TVC said:

If it takes at least 25 years that's like not having the option at all.

In your opinion. The hundreds of thousands in the F4 line already - and growing - would probably beg to differ.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, TVC said:

If it takes at least 25 years that's like not having the option at all.

Well when 25 years worth have applied others presumably think otherwise.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, TVC said:

I'm a school teacher. If there was some way I could find a reliable teaching job online then we could just continue living in the Philippines. But I have had no luck this far. I've tried about 10 companies. Teaching in a brick and mortar school in the Philippines cant work due to the low salaries.

My wife and I have no problem with living in the Philippines but I can't find work there. So we have to go back to the USA. And I guess her 10yo sister has to go back to living in the shack with the dirt floor and roof that may collapse any moment.

Listen, we understand the situation. This forum probably has more members who sponsored someone from the Philippines than any other country. Most of us have seen poverty in other countries. I have seen it also myself. If there was a way to save everyone, we would do it.

But unfortunately this is how things are. You do not have easy options to bring over your niece. It sucks but this is the realization many people deal with. Many people make the choice to leave family and children behind so they can work in another country. Many people can't be with their loved ones because they have to find a way to make money to send back home. It happens every day. 

There will always be obstacles that people may have to prevent them from having things their way. You stated yourself that working in the PHL is difficult for you now. So your neice living in poverty is not the only obstacle you are a faced with. Whether you decide to stay here or move to the Philippines, you may encounter obstacles.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.