HulkySun

Advise on income requirement Doing Taxes

48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

While Manila may not be a problem,  some of us can actually see a little further into the future and that Manila isn't the end of the journey 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 4/11/2020 at 11:51 PM, HulkySun said:

I think that is a bit out of context to my situation. Are you saying there is something devious with reporting 22k when its well within my legal right to with absolute no risk issue to IRS?

ex. Explaining more so, I have far less expenses than I do from the first year = also more profit I can tax on. 

Some are dragging AOS into responding to your question, which has it own rules that can be different from what the embassy asks.    

>> As noted already for the embassy interview you are fine with your most recent tax return (complete, all pages) and the I-134 completed (all can be copies and emailed to your fiancee BTW)

As for AOS, USCIS only asks for your most recent tax transcript (USCIS prefers transcripts, but does accept the tax return as well), BUT can ask for three years ..    sending 3 years of returns is optional.

Page 8, part 23-25    https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-864instr-pc.pdf?download=1

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/adjustment-of-status.html

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

Some are dragging AOS into responding to your question, which has it own rules that can be different from what the embassy asks.    

>> As noted already for the embassy interview you are fine with your most recent tax return (complete, all pages) and the I-134 completed (all can be copies and emailed to your fiancee BTW)

As for AOS, USCIS only asks for your most recent tax transcript (USCIS prefers transcripts, but does accept the tax return as well), BUT can ask for three years ..    sending 3 years of returns is optional.

Page 8, part 23-25    https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-864instr-pc.pdf?download=1

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/adjustment-of-status.html

Thank you for your clear response.  Also I was just wondering if it would solidify the CO decision at interview with > 22k  income or if I was thinking too much into it to try to impress with higher number ex. 28k. Especially since the 28k number would also in the future support beneficiary child. Even that I understand I am supposed to only be concerned, at this juncture, with household of 2. 

So from what I am hearing, I'm thinking too much and 22k should be fine.

Have a good one!! Cheers

Timeline
5 minutes ago, HulkySun said:

Thank you for your clear response.  Also I was just wondering if it would solidify the CO decision at interview with > 22k  income or if I was thinking too much into it to try to impress with higher number ex. 28k. Especially since the 28k number would also in the future support beneficiary child. Even that I understand I am supposed to only be concerned, at this juncture, with household of 2. 

So from what I am hearing, I'm thinking too much and 22k should be fine.

Have a good one!! Cheers

You are thinking too much ;)  

Many times with the K-1 visa the CO asks for nothing regarding financial support info, they have been lax on this since 2014 (6 frickin' years now!  :lol:  ), just the same it is listed as required on their checklist .. so be prepared

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, Hank_ said:

You are thinking too much ;)  

Many times with the K-1 visa the CO asks for nothing regarding financial support info, they have been lax on this since 2014 (6 frickin' years now!  :lol:  ), just the same it is listed as required on their checklist .. so be prepared

I think that with the new public charge initiative from Trump, the financial portion is about to become way more important everywhere.

Lee

Edited by Girandola

Timeline
1 minute ago, Girandola said:

I think that with the new public charge initiative from Trump, the financial portion is about to become way more important everywhere.

Lee

Oh I agree with that totally.   But for the K-1 it isn't cut and dry because the K-1 is a non-immigrant visa.  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

17 hours ago, Girandola said:

Lee

Yes I tend to agree with this.  Also, I would expect embassies worldwide to start putting more emphasis on petitioner's financial situation now that we are entering a period of drastic economic conditions for the next year or two.  I can really see them scrutinizing your finances.  If the economy was booming like it was, they may tend to not request certain things.  However now, expect the 3rd degree.

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 4/14/2020 at 1:11 PM, flicks1998 said:

Yes I tend to agree with this.  Also, I would expect embassies worldwide to start putting more emphasis on petitioner's financial situation now that we are entering a period of drastic economic conditions for the next year or two.  I can really see them scrutinizing your finances.  If the economy was booming like it was, they may tend to not request certain things.  However now, expect the 3rd degree.

There is now scrutiny on the beneficiary as well. They must be able to prove that they can support themselves if something happens to the petitioner.

Timeline

"on the beneficiary"     ...    not sure how that will work as the K-1 can't work until after receiving their green card.    (The I-765 is moot in this regard)

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

4 hours ago, Girandola said:

There is now scrutiny on the beneficiary as well. They must be able to prove that they can support themselves if something happens to the petitioner.

Can you send the source?  As it doesn't make much sense to put the burden on the beneficiary.  Since they cant work the first 6 months, its going to require our fiance to send a large wire transfer into a US bank.  

Also if something happens to the petitioner (for example death) the beneficiary is going back home if before the green card is received.  

Also, this is a crisis that just started 1 month ago or so.  The government doesn't move that fast in putting in these type of requirements.

Last, my fiancé salary has ranged over the last 7-8 years of 60-90K pesos a month which is a decent salary where she is from, but its nothing in the US.  

Please send your source as I have never heard of this requirement in the 20 years Ive been involved with Immigration.  I can ask Fragomen as next week I have weekly meetings with them but Id love to quote your source to them.  Thanks.

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

54 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Can you send the source?  As it doesn't make much sense to put the burden on the beneficiary.  Since they cant work the first 6 months, its going to require our fiance to send a large wire transfer into a US bank.  

Also if something happens to the petitioner (for example death) the beneficiary is going back home if before the green card is received.  

Also, this is a crisis that just started 1 month ago or so.  The government doesn't move that fast in putting in these type of requirements.

Last, my fiancé salary has ranged over the last 7-8 years of 60-90K pesos a month which is a decent salary where she is from, but its nothing in the US.  

Please send your source as I have never heard of this requirement in the 20 years Ive been involved with Immigration.  I can ask Fragomen as next week I have weekly meetings with them but Id love to quote your source to them.  Thanks.

Once applying for AOS one must prove self sufficiency using the new I-944 form: https://www.uscis.gov/i-944https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/08/14/2019-17142/inadmissibility-on-public-charge-grounds

I do not believe that the embassy will be looking at the DS-5540 for a K1 case which is also the public charge questionnaire for the NVC/DOS https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5540.PDF which is to be used mostly for immigrant visa cases (i.e. CR1/IR1/ and or at the embassy).

10 hours ago, suss6052 said:

Once applying for AOS one must prove self sufficiency using the new I-944 form: https://www.uscis.gov/i-944https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/08/14/2019-17142/inadmissibility-on-public-charge-grounds

I do not believe that the embassy will be looking at the DS-5540 for a K1 case which is also the public charge questionnaire for the NVC/DOS https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5540.PDF which is to be used mostly for immigrant visa cases (i.e. CR1/IR1/ and or at the embassy).

Yeah but this has always been the case. But people on FB and in certain Filipino Immigration groups on there are blowing this up as if it's something new 

1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yeah but this has always been the case. But people on FB and in certain Filipino Immigration groups on there are blowing this up as if it's something new 

Yes exactly.  No change in the last 20 years on this.  Not sure why people even rely on FB for any time of news or information.  Its pure garbage and so much is taken out of context, etc.

Edited by flicks1998

Timeline
11 hours ago, suss6052 said:

You are correct it is the DS-944 to be filed with AOS,  but the OP was asking about the embassy process.   

https://www.uscis.gov/i-944

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

2 hours ago, Hank_ said:

You are correct it is the DS-944 to be filed with AOS,  but the OP was asking about the embassy process.   

https://www.uscis.gov/i-944

Which is why I said although it might be asked/ checked it is unlikely that the embassy will be looking at the ds-5540 for a K1 at the moment, but the I-944 will be required at AOS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.