BlinkerFluid

Manila Embassy Interviews

12 posts in this topic

I wanted to ask people's (recent) experience at the Manila Embassy for IR1/CR1 spouse interviews. I understand every embassy is different, as I have looked at some of the Manila reviews here on VJ . I will be there with my wife for her interview (hopefully June with this virus delay). Is it beneficial if I attend the interview? is it even necessary? I don't see anything in the reviews that petitioner/US citizen is even involved at all during the interview. 🙂

Whether it is considered a positive to have the petitioner present at the interview, and whether it is even allowed are very consulate-specific.  I believe the consensus is that it is allowed at Manila, but not necessarily expected.

I'm trying to think of a VJer who has had a more recent interview there, but trusty ol' @Hank will know.

It's certainly not required. It can be beneficial. You know your own case better than anybody else. If you have a strong case, I wouldn't be too concerned either way. If it's a little weaker on time spent together or has red flags, being there is more advisable.

If you can be there without too much hardship, I'd do it either way. It's a good moral support thing, and you can celebrate after.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

9 hours ago, MM&HM said:

I wanted to ask people's (recent) experience at the Manila Embassy for IR1/CR1 spouse interviews. I understand every embassy is different, as I have looked at some of the Manila reviews here on VJ . I will be there with my wife for her interview (hopefully June with this virus delay). Is it beneficial if I attend the interview? is it even necessary? I don't see anything in the reviews that petitioner/US citizen is even involved at all during the interview. 🙂

No, the petitioner doesn't have to be at the interview at all but it does certainly help. There are many of us who went to the interview with their spouse or fiancé and in almost every case it has helped. I know I went with my then fiancé now wife to help calm her fears and I ended up talking to the CO more than she did. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It will be interesting to see what if any post pandemic changes that might occur.   I fully expect implementation of new crowd control measures.  Time will tell. 

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, MM&HM said:

It isn't necessary to be there, most times the petitioner isn't allow at the window now a days.    Years ago the petitioner was allowed to stand at the window for the interview .. much less common now.     And yes, I was there, it was a great experience, and like others the CO talked to me more that my wife .. maybe that is why they don't let the petitioner at the window so much anymore

As long as you have everything that is required as listed in the 5 STEPS all should be good.

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html   << Info the the visa process here, and a link to the embassy's 5 STEPS, the 5th step is their document checklist

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I think it was beneficial in our case. Three questions and out. I was allowed to stand with her at the window. It also calmed my wife during the process having me there. I did see a couple of guys asked to leave the interview area. I would say if you can be there then go. It was very interesting...(Interview Feb. 2019)

Edited by boris64

Finally done...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 4/8/2020 at 9:38 PM, MM&HM said:

No. It does not matter to the Embassy, but it might make your wife feel better. It is not necessary. As long as there is nothing in her past or your past or a failed medical there will be no problem. If you're to the point of the interview the chances of a denial are slim.

Product-500.jpg

phsmall.gif

Vermont Service Center

I-129F Sent : 05-07-08

I-129F NOA1 : 05-15-08

Touched : 06-26-08

NOA2 : 08/29/08

ApprovaL NVC sent:09/01/08

Arrived @ NCV :09/03/08

called NVC 09/04/08 received case #*

NOA2 hard copy in mail Sept. 6, 2008

LetteR from NVC: Sept. 8, 2008

Left NVC : Sept. 24, 2008 > Arrived Sept. 29th

Medical Oct. : 7/13/2008 passed!

Interview date: Oct. 20,2008 7am ***APPROVED***

Visa delivery : Oct. 23,2008

Arrival in USA : oCt. 29 ,2008 POE Houston, Tx.

Life is good !!

<

Over the last 10+ years I have been in and out of the Manila Embassy for many different things as I have been working in Manila.  Stolen passport and replacement, DNA testing for my son, application for his US citizenship, requesting for a 2nd valid US passport as I was doing some travel in and out of Syria and Iraq this past year with my current passport having proof of travel to Israel, Ive been to embassy gatherings, Ive helped move in some of the embassy staff into their condos or into homes in Manila, and done security inspections on them when bullet proof glass windows were being installed, etc etc, been in the Ambassador house in Forbes before the new one moved in, and a host of other things.  More than likely I will be running into people I know during my Fiance's interview as alot of Officers already know us.  But this does not mean we are automatically granted a visa, I must meet all of the requirements, no exceptions.  

I have spent alot of time involved with other US Embassies in the Asia region and even though Officers tend to rotate out every 3 years or so, most of the officers are quiet reasonable people.  Just follow the guidelines exactly because they are in a position where if you dont meet these and follow the instructions, they cant help you.  They would get in trouble if they made any exceptions so just follow the rules.  Dont be surprised if the officer speaks Tagalog as well.  They have an incredible language program out of Monterrey CA and they pick up these languages quiet quickly.  My grad school was a breeding ground for Foreign Service personnel.  Even in disagreements I have had over the years with Officers as long as your reasonable and show a reasonable case thats within the law, they will work with you.  Expect them to take conservative approaches as well, meaning if your borderline on something, they will err on the side of caution. 

Now for the local staff hired by the Embassy, I find them incompetent as is the case in most businesses and companies in the country.  As I do anywhere nowadays in country, if I get a local for a complex situation that needs to be resolved, I just ask for a foreign manager.  Ive done this several times at the Embassy, however your interviews will be with an American.

Dont have your fiance sweat the interview much.  Decisions are already pretty much decided before you even interview.  They are just reconfirming that you are who you say you are, reconfirming answers you have given in the past, etc.  The Embassy is very busy every day, especially in the mornings.  Its dead in the afternoons.  However everything is very well organized in all aspects.  Security can be a pita but thats expected.  By attending the interview, if you feel your case is borderline for any reason, then it might be worthwhile to be there.  Again this goes back to my conservative approach by embassy personnel and they will err on caution and with you being there would add more credibility, however its not necessary if your case is strong.  

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

One thing I was going to add and forgot is when you do your interview, if you want the microphone they speak into turned down some, just ask them and they will.  Sometimes when Ive been in that Embassy you can hear everything about some peoples cases as the Officer has the mic too loud.  Its not just on these K1 visas, its on the ACS side as well and sometimes these conversations can get personal, but yet everyone sitting in the chairs behind can hear every word that is spoken by the officer.  If you feel its too loud or you want some privacy (since your just standing at the window anyway with everyone behind you) ask them to turn it down.  

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.