Burnt Reynolds

New York City bans Zoom in schools, citing security concerns

32 posts in this topic

This is definitely a security concern not only because of universities across North America using Zoom, but I spent the better part of the last week going back and forth with my daughter's school convincing them to quit mulling over Zoom as we'd not let our daughter use it, and reminded them of their fiduciary duty as an institution to protect our kids' privacy, as hard as it is nowadays.

This also resonates with us because we are highly critical of China, my wife is Canadian (speaks fluent Mandarin and Cantonese), but her parents fled China decades ago to Canada, along with many members of her family, and have refused to even visit China as they face potential retaliation by the Chinese government. We regularly communicate with my in-laws who are in other urban regions of Canada, but there are many in-laws we talk to that still live in China, Laos, and that region (some of whom still try to convince my in-laws who fled to come visit), so not being careful with security can easily wind up causing a person to go missing if these chats get in the wrong hands.

As schools lie empty, students still have to learn. But officials in New York City say schools are not permitted to use Zoom  for remote teaching, citing security concerns with the video conferencing service.

“Providing a safe and secure remote learning experience for our students is essential, and upon further review of security concerns, schools should move away from using Zoom as soon as possible,” said Danielle Filson, a spokesperson for the New York City Dept. of Education. “There are many new components to remote learning, and we are making real-time decisions in the best interest of our staff and students.”

Instead, the city’s Dept. of Education is transitioning schools to Microsoft Teams, which the spokesperson said has the “same capabilities with appropriate security measures in place.”

https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/05/zoom-new-york-city-schools/

ZOOM’S ENCRYPTION IS “NOT SUITED FOR SECRETS” AND HAS SURPRISING LINKS TO CHINA, RESEARCHERS DISCOVER

MEETINGS ON ZOOM, the increasingly popular video conferencing service, are encrypted using an algorithm with serious, well-known weaknesses, and sometimes using keys issued by servers in China, even when meeting participants are all in North America, according to researchers at the University of Toronto.

https://theintercept.com/2020/04/03/zooms-encryption-is-not-suited-for-secrets-and-has-surprising-links-to-china-researchers-discover/

ZOOM MEETINGS AREN’T END-TO-END ENCRYPTED, DESPITE MISLEADING MARKETING

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/31/zoom-meeting-encryption/

Maybe we shouldn’t use Zoom after all

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/31/zoom-at-your-own-risk/

Beware of ‘ZoomBombing’: screensharing filth to video calls

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/17/zoombombing/

Taiwan's government bans official use of Zoom, days after the firm admitted to 'mistakenly' routing some calls through China

https://www.businessinsider.com/taiwan-bans-government-officials-zoom-2020-4

Naturally, the point is, avoid Zoom as often as you can. People might be inclined to go, well, what about Google? Their security sucks, they help the NSA and other bureaus spy on you. Indeed, a valid concern, but you also tend to have legal remedies at your disposal to sue Google for harm (tort) they cause you in the US (elsewhere too, but we're talking the US), sue them to find out what information they have+disclose on you, whereas any of these issues involving the Chinese and their government, especially things routed through China, means you're SOL.

Clearly not all things are equally bad.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

might be worth checking out whatsapp

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ban Hammer said:

might be worth checking out whatsapp

WhatsApp is part of Facebook and they're not exactly known for privacy, between the multiple hacks, their business model and past scandals like Cambridge Analytica. 

More importantly, WhatsApp doesn't have a desktop or web version that supports video calling.

Edited by sl1pstream

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
4 hours ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

sue Google for harm (tort)

Tortfeasing!  Probably even heterodox!  Finally!  :dance:  :dance:  :dance: 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, sl1pstream said:

WhatsApp is part of Facebook and they're not exactly known for privacy, between the multiple hacks, their business model and past scandals like Cambridge Analytica. 

More importantly, WhatsApp doesn't have a desktop or web version that supports video calling.

True, but it's an amazing app for phones.  I use it far more than SMS nowadays.  Free anywhere there is wifi.  I can make calls in foreign countries for free.  Videos and pics are much higher quality.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

True, but it's an amazing app for phones.  I use it far more than SMS nowadays.  Free anywhere there is wifi.  I can make calls in foreign countries for free.  Videos and pics are much higher quality.

Been using Telegram for ages now, it's so much faster than SMS, not sure who uses SMS anymore? Plus you can edit the messages that were sent! 

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

22 minutes ago, millefleur said:

Been using Telegram for ages now, it's so much faster than SMS, not sure who uses SMS anymore? Plus you can edit the messages that were sent! 

Faster how?  SMS is instantaneous, as is WhatsApp.  But WhatsApp offers great picture and video quality, voice calls, video calls.

I'll look up Telegram.

Edited by Voice of Reason

Timeline
1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

Faster how?  SMS is instantaneous, as is WhatsApp.  But WhatsApp offers great picture and video quality, voice calls, video calls.

I'll look up Telegram.

I just notice my SMS is extremely laggy, I don't know why. It's especially horrible at sending/receiving any kind of photos. Texts also come in weird from people who have iPhones , sometimes they cut off randomly or appear out of order if it's a long message (I have an Android). I'm using the Verizon text app for reference: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.verizon.messaging.vzmsgs&hl=en_US

Telegram is also great for voice calls but it doesn't have a video call option sadly. I still mainly use Skype for that. I've only ever used Zoom at work for remote meetings.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Just now, millefleur said:

I just notice my SMS is extremely laggy, I don't know why. It's especially horrible at sending/receiving any kind of photos. Texts also come in weird from people who have iPhones , sometimes they cut off randomly or appear out of order if it's a long message (I have an Android). I'm using the Verizon text app for reference: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.verizon.messaging.vzmsgs&hl=en_US

Telegram is also great for voice calls but it doesn't have a video call option sadly. I still mainly use Skype for that. I've only ever used Zoom at work for remote meetings.

Ahhh, I see what you mean.  I have a Samsung, and I know that there are glitches when I get messages from iPhone users; messages and especially pics can arrive hours after they are sent.  A friend and I spar about it all the time.  He swears it's Android, and I swear it's Apple.    I had iPhones back in the day, but don't really see myself ever going back.  My wife wants one again, now that they have good cameras finally.  We have iPads and a MacBook Pro, so the connectivity would certainly be a plus in our home.  I just cannot stand the idea of rolling over to the fan club mentality of the iPhones.

My work uses Zoom as well.  I wish they would switch to WhatsApp.  Skype was good back in the day, but I feel it is going the way of ICQ or other apps.  I was "forced" into using WhatsApp a couple of years ago for a class group, and have become very happy with it.  High res pics and videos are a breeze compared to SMS.  The quality is not reduced, and the download time is much faster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
5 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Oh no, I've been using it too. I was just trying to point out that Zoom isn't the only one with privacy problems.

The lack of a desktop video client makes it useless for a school environment though.

You'd want something that is available on as many platforms as possible, which is one of the reasons zoom is so popular. WhatsApp also only supports 4 people per call, which makes it instantly useless as a tool for a classroom environment.

Skype would work, depending on the size of the class.

Timeline
15 hours ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

This is definitely a security concern not only because of universities across North America using Zoom, but I spent the better part of the last week going back and forth with my daughter's school convincing them to quit mulling over Zoom as we'd not let our daughter use it, and reminded them of their fiduciary duty as an institution to protect our kids' privacy, as hard as it is nowadays.

This also resonates with us because we are highly critical of China, my wife is Canadian (speaks fluent Mandarin and Cantonese), but her parents fled China decades ago to Canada, along with many members of her family, and have refused to even visit China as they face potential retaliation by the Chinese government. We regularly communicate with my in-laws who are in other urban regions of Canada, but there are many in-laws we talk to that still live in China, Laos, and that region (some of whom still try to convince my in-laws who fled to come visit), so not being careful with security can easily wind up causing a person to go missing if these chats get in the wrong hands.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/05/zoom-new-york-city-schools/

https://theintercept.com/2020/04/03/zooms-encryption-is-not-suited-for-secrets-and-has-surprising-links-to-china-researchers-discover/

ZOOM MEETINGS AREN’T END-TO-END ENCRYPTED, DESPITE MISLEADING MARKETING

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/31/zoom-meeting-encryption/

Maybe we shouldn’t use Zoom after all

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/31/zoom-at-your-own-risk/

Beware of ‘ZoomBombing’: screensharing filth to video calls

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/17/zoombombing/

Taiwan's government bans official use of Zoom, days after the firm admitted to 'mistakenly' routing some calls through China

https://www.businessinsider.com/taiwan-bans-government-officials-zoom-2020-4

Sounds a lot like WeChat.  I have coworkers in China so I do have WeChat on my work phone, but would never consider putting it on any personal device.  We tend to use Viber and WhatsApp when talking to family back in Russia.  For work we use Skype for Business and MS Teams at work.  Not a really big fan of either, I tend to like WebEx, but they are mostly functional.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Dashinka said:

Sounds a lot like WeChat.  I have coworkers in China so I do have WeChat on my work phone, but would never consider putting it on any personal device.  We tend to use Viber and WhatsApp when talking to family back in Russia.  For work we use Skype for Business and MS Teams at work.  Not a really big fan of either, I tend to like WebEx, but they are mostly functional.

Also I think, with a lack of trust and that everyone seems to have their own servers, those who are really security oriented and don't trust companies on the end to end might start looking at Synology Chat and similar successors like Nextcloud. I've never been big on any of the apps mentioned in this thread.. Whatsapp, Skype, etc. And the one and only reason we use Duo is because our Lenovo home devices come with it (and we have no alternative). Google tends to be pretty awful on features for things, just only decent at integrating everything into their core competency of big data.

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

Been warning the husband about zoom for ages now, but the college is going full steam ahead with it. It's clear that even high level government meetings in the UK are also being held on zoom.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

5 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Been warning the husband about zoom for ages now, but the college is going full steam ahead with it. It's clear that even high level government meetings in the UK are also being held on zoom.

With universities (in North America and likely elsewhere) going full steam ahead, we can expect more Zoom security-related news over the coming months.

Edited by Burnt Reynolds