1,791 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hello guys, I filled N400 on April 2020 and my case still being "actively reviewed". The last thing was biometric appointment.

I submitted multiple requests but no response.

Any advice what should I do next ?

Edited by Aladd1n

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
21 hours ago, Cloggie said:

I am in the same position. April 2020. Perhaps kick back and not worry about it anymore…

I’m not able to kick back since it’s affecting my life too much plus I have to deal with expiring dual citizenship permits.

Also, I spoke with a lawyer and he said that suing usually forces them to act as it’s not worth their time to go to court but it’s expensive. He said his most recent case had been stuck for three years with no progress in sight and suing resolved it in about three months.

My takeaway from our conversation as to why my case is stuck was that they’re prioritizing recent immigrants over long term residents. Reviewing long term residents is a lot more work and makes it harder for them to hit their numbers.

Timeline
4 hours ago, sfo-user said:

I’m not able to kick back since it’s affecting my life too much plus I have to deal with expiring dual citizenship permits.

Also, I spoke with a lawyer and he said that suing usually forces them to act as it’s not worth their time to go to court but it’s expensive. He said his most recent case had been stuck for three years with no progress in sight and suing resolved it in about three months.

My takeaway from our conversation as to why my case is stuck was that they’re prioritizing recent immigrants over long term residents. Reviewing long term residents is a lot more work and makes it harder for them to hit their numbers.

How much expensive ? does it depend on the case or do they have flatrate for it ?

Is it worth it to submit FOIA request ?  I'm thinking of submitting one but I've read mixed feedback about its result.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Aladd1n said:

How much expensive ? does it depend on the case or do they have flatrate for it ?

Is it worth it to submit FOIA request ?  I'm thinking of submitting one but I've read mixed feedback about its result.

Here is one post from September 2020 who successfully filed a writ of mandamus (sued USCIS) for their K-1 process, and this is the price range apparently:

"It took a total of about 3 1/2 months from the time they were served to finish. Definitely worth it. I have read some members giving incorrect information that the WoM could cost around $15,000 and read other outrageous numbers. It does not. I checked numerous lawyers before hiring mine and have received quotes anywhere from $4000 to $8000. Definitely have not heard more. I paid for my consultation which was then applied towards my WoM.  My lawyer charged me on the lower end than most.  I hired Jim Hacking of The Hacking Law Firm. I would only recommend him."

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Here is one post from September 2020 who successfully filed a writ of mandamus (sued USCIS) for their K-1 process, and this is the price range apparently:

"It took a total of about 3 1/2 months from the time they were served to finish. Definitely worth it. I have read some members giving incorrect information that the WoM could cost around $15,000 and read other outrageous numbers. It does not. I checked numerous lawyers before hiring mine and have received quotes anywhere from $4000 to $8000. Definitely have not heard more. I paid for my consultation which was then applied towards my WoM.  My lawyer charged me on the lower end than most.  I hired Jim Hacking of The Hacking Law Firm. I would only recommend him."

I’ve heard $3-10k and it’s flat rate unless USCIS goes to court (in which case you can say goodbye to your life savings). I think $3-4K is the norm.

Obviously, not cheap but for some of us (e.g. people from Germany) it’s a matter of becoming citizens or not (I doubt they’ll change German citizenship laws in time for us). Getting a dual citizenship permit from Germany or extending it is neither free, quick, or guaranteed. 

Also, the lawyer told me that USCIS apparently has stopped giving 551 stamps if your green card has expired due to all these delays and you’ll need to file and pay for a new green card to get a 551 stamp.

I forgot to mention that he also said that I could ask senator / congress person to apply more pressure or file a detailed ombudsman complaint where you list damages and your plan to sue as next step. We both agreed that the senator / congress person path is pointless as in California they don’t have bandwidth / incentive / interest to help you. Ombudsman is a ####### shot. It might work or you might waste another six months for a boilerplate response. 

Edited by sfo-user

On 1/15/2022 at 2:54 PM, Aladd1n said:

Hello guys, I filled N400 on April 2020 and my case still being "actively reviewed". The last thing was biometric appointment.

I submitted multiple requests but no response.

Any advice what should I do ?

What date are they showing when it started being reviewed? I am asking bcoz mine just changed from a 2020 date to a more recent date (last week). Anyone seeing the same when they log in?

Timeline

Hi all, 

I realized that there are more spring 2020 filers than here on visajourney. There is a lot of people in different FB groups, trackitt.

Just created a new private FB group "N400 spring 2020 filers" to at least do a headcount. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, JustBelieve said:

What date are they showing when it started being reviewed? I am asking bcoz mine just changed from a 2020 date to a more recent date (last week). Anyone seeing the same when they log in?

Mine is April 14, 2021. it has always been like this, since my fingerprints appointment.

Timeline
7 hours ago, sfo-user said:

I’ve heard $3-10k and it’s flat rate unless USCIS goes to court (in which case you can say goodbye to your life savings). I think $3-4K is the norm.

Obviously, not cheap but for some of us (e.g. people from Germany) it’s a matter of becoming citizens or not (I doubt they’ll change German citizenship laws in time for us). Getting a dual citizenship permit from Germany or extending it is neither free, quick, or guaranteed. 

Also, the lawyer told me that USCIS apparently has stopped giving 551 stamps if your green card has expired due to all these delays and you’ll need to file and pay for a new green card to get a 551 stamp.

I forgot to mention that he also said that I could ask senator / congress person to apply more pressure or file a detailed ombudsman complaint where you list damages and your plan to sue as next step. We both agreed that the senator / congress person path is pointless as in California they don’t have bandwidth / incentive / interest to help you. Ombudsman is a ####### shot. It might work or you might waste another six months for a boilerplate response. 

How about FOIA request ? I've read some positive feedback about it. But no one is sure if it's what moved their case forward or not.

I've been stuck in the same situation as you guys and it's so frustrating to see people who filed well after we did getting their citizenship. I contacted USCIS multiple times, and went to my congressman as well as my senator, but there's been no action. My congressman's aide actually said that I might have better luck if I sued the USCIS, so I do want to explore this option.

QUESTION: Does anyone on here have specific examples where they sued the USCIS and got their case moving along? Also, any specific attorneys you have successfully worked with for your N-400 application? If there is a class action law suit, I would definitely be interested in joining it. I will not be able to devote much time to it, but if we're hiring a lawyer, I am happy to contribute to the fees as needed. Thank you

On 1/16/2022 at 10:49 AM, sfo-user said:

My lawyer suggested waiting for the 2 year mark before suing. Did you hear something similar?

Hi all,

I am getting a call from the USCIS in the next two days.

Obviously, I am going to ask them about why my application is still in processing.

But will that help expedite or escalate my case to the next level?

What are some of the questions, I should be asking?

Any input is highly appreciated.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Cloggie said:

Hi all,

I am getting a call from the USCIS in the next two days.

Obviously, I am going to ask them about why my application is still in processing.

But will that help expedite or escalate my case to the next level?

What are some of the questions, I should be asking?

Any input is highly appreciated.

When level 2 called me back they didn't really answer any of my specific questions like : what's delaying my case? When can I expect resolution? What can be done in order to accelerate? 

All the officer said was that my case is with local field office and they are in charge now. 

It was like hitting the wall. 

I wouldn't have any hopes, sorry. 

Edited by Yupibotan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.